Complaint Review: AutoZone

• Updated: Mon, December 12, 2011

• Reported By: SHA — phoenix Arizona United States of America
AutoZone
11209 n. 19th Avenue Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

AutoZone Auto Zone These jokers did this before when I bought brake pads, stuck me with some lube for $1.39 that I didn't need or ask for...they do this alot and they should be investigated and a class action called on! Phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Always pay close attention while still at the counter

12/10/2011 went to AutoZone #2710 in Phoenix, Arizona to purchase 4 spark plugs. Clerk asked me if I needed anything else, my response..."Nope, just the four plugs". I get home and remove the four plugs from the bag and there is a tiny packet of lube...insert your funny pun here;)

Next, I then pulled out my receipt and sure enough, these jokers at AutoZone charged me $1.39 for product I had NO INTENTION nor did I opt to purchase. This employee just added it to my bill to increase the sale without my permission or knowledge. It felt like a small amount and hardly worth driving back to the shop for but when I thought about this...it felt like that is EXACTLY what these jokers are most likely counting on...

Upon changing out my spark plugs, I returned to the store and requested the manager. Assistant Manager was on duty and I explained what had occurred and Asst Manager asked me, who helped me, I mentioned the employee who's cashier number was on the receipt in his hands(how would i know the guys name?)...manager then asked me, "was it our new guy or the Mexican guy who doesn't speak English well?"

My reply, "I have no idea if the guy was new and there wasn't anything odd about the guy or his pronunciation of English...?" The manager mentioned the lube was complimentary, I stopped him and again pointed to the receipt and stated there was NOTHING complimentary about the item as there was a $1.39 charge on the receipt that was quite contradictory to this explanation. Asst Manager then adjusted his response and said, 'this item compliments the items you purchased'.

The product was unnecessary and I just wanted my money they absconded off with back. They refunded my money but it was really lame to have to go through this...seriously, ALWAYS check your receipt and bag prior to leaving AutoZone.

I resented being charged by AutoZone for the additional item without being asked, it absolutely was an intentional act, it is illegal practice and needs to be immediately stopped. How many of these illegal $1.39 charges is AutoZone pulling off per hour, day, month year?

This type of cheating of their customers must stop, I couldn't be more of a dissatisfied customer. In typing this up AutoZone Ripoff Report up, I remember purchasing brake pads from them a couple of years ago and this same type of thing happening but I didn't return the item.

(from reading additional posts, I see this is unfortunately common practice for this company) In two addition Ripoff Report posts, employees have shared they are told to do this very thing...smells like a class action...count me in!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2011 11:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AutoZone/Phoenix-Arizona-85029/AutoZone-Auto-Zone-These-jokers-did-this-before-when-I-bought-brake-pads-stuck-me-with-so-808031. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AutoZone

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Always pay close attention while still at the counter

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

Unfortunately, what you experienced is common practice. It is the most extreme form of upselling.

In the future, pay closer attention to what is going on at the register while you are being checked out.

If you were watching this store clerk closely, you would have seen him slide the unwanted item in your bag, then you could have checked your reciept right there and dealt with it and saved a trip and a lot of stress.

Always check your reciept before leaving the store.

Another nice trick if you would have used a credit card to pay, you could have opened a dispute with your credit card, even though frivolous, it costs the merchant like $25 in service fees from the merchant services provider.