Complaint Review: Autofair Honda

• Updated: Thu, January 10, 2013

• Reported By: comadverti — Suncook New Hampshire USA
Autofair Honda
200 Keller St. Manchester, New Hampshire United States of America

Autofair Honda Sold me a new car with bad tires, bad service Manchester, New Hampshire

*Consumer Comment: Tires that are not rotated on the manufacturer's schedule....

*Consumer Comment: Tires

Although Jon my service guy was very nice and polite, he didn't seem able to have the power or ability to actually help me with the service my car required. I had explained to them about the loud grinding noise I was hearing from the back tires even before they started to wear down and it may possibly be the bearings or a defective alignment when I bought the vehicle.  They said they would do an inspection to find out what was causing the problem. I waited for 2 hours before I was finally told there was nothing they could find. They said they checked the bearings and they appeared tight and ok.

I asked about the problem being that there was an alignment issue and was told they did not look at that and they felt it was the tires being worn down due to my not having the rotated the first year. I have brought my vehicle in for an inspection in September and which was many months after hearing that noise in the back and no one ever said the tires were wearing down and I should have the rotated or need a possible alignment?????!!! I asked them to switch out the tires and put on new ones and take the car for a road test just to rule out bad bearings being the issue. They made me wait another 1/2 hour to do this, we took the car for a road test and of course there was no noise as the tech explained that I needed new tires.

Well I knew I needed new tires but I was there to find out why the tires were wearing down so fast. Both Jon and the Tech explained to me that the Goodyear Tires they use on their cars are soft and wear down quickly (the same that are on my car) and they have to change them on their own cards every 12,000 - 24,000 miles even though the tires claim to last 40,000 miles. Seems to me they should be putting on more quality tires on their new vehicles. FYI, they also said they use these tires for quiet and comfort sake (translation: so they can sell more cars). After waiting 3 hours, I was not offered free new tires to replace the defective ones (not even under warranty!), or any other solution to this problem or that matter.

You would think they would own up to the fact the tires were defective, it should have been caught by the tech during my State Inspection with them a few months before since the noise coming from the back of the car was apparent then (which they say it was pre-mature tire wear that was causing the noise in the first place) and replace them.  The reason I bought a new car vs. a used car was for the warranties. I bought a Honda because I believed in the old great reputation that these cars were the best built on the market! I also bought from AutoFair Honda because I thought they had superior service. I am now sorely disappointed in both the manufacturer and the dealership.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/10/2013 10:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Autofair-Honda/Manchester-New-Hampshire-03275/Autofair-Honda-Sold-me-a-new-car-with-bad-tires-bad-service-Manchester-New-Hampshire-994515. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Autofair Honda

Tires that are not rotated on the manufacturer's schedule....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

may start "cupping" and make the noise you're describing.

This, then, will cause them to "jump and vibrate" and wear out MUCH more quickly.

Tire construction is a tradeoff.  Hard rubber, long wearing tires may not offer as good handling as softer rubber that grips better.

I don't know if this is what happened to you, but just wanted to point out the possiblities.

Tires

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You left off one very important piece of information.  How long(time and miles) have you had these tires?

One major factor of how long tires last is how you drive.  This is why your Honda warranty will not apply to the tires, because they are considered "wear and tear" items.

You have a separate warranty through Goodyear that covers the tires.  This means that you could have taken your car to any Goodyear location and gotten them replaced under warranty..IF it was a warranty issue.  However, just like any issues with your car, you would be required to show that you did maintenance according to the required schedule.  This means that if you were required to rotate them after x number of miles or months and you did not do this..they can deny the claim.

But even if the tires are to be replaced under warranty, it would then most likely be a "prorated" warranty. That means if they are 40K tires and you had 20K on them, you would only get 1/2 credit towards new tires.  So forget about taking them to 39,999 and expecting an entirely new set of tires for free.

involves