Complaint Review: Autozone

• Submitted: Mon, December 15, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 15, 2008

• Reported By:Phelan California
Autozone
4071 Phelan Rd Phelan, California U.S.A.

Auto Zone Will Not Honor Warranty On Part Phelan California

*Consumer Comment: Warranty

*Consumer Comment: Gee, I Wonder Why

I purchased a starter with my mechanic for a 1972 El Camino with a 350 engine roughly a year ago. My mechanic, who also worked at Auto Zone at the time, installed the part and it all worked fine. Then out of the blue, the starter failed.

I took it to the local Autozone in Phelan where it was purchased and asked for a replacement. The part in question has a lifetime warranty and even Autozone confirmed this.

They were able to tell me A.) It came from Auto Zone, B.) It does have a lifetime warranty and C.) They cannot do anything because there is nothing in the system under mine or any of my family's names. The part was put under the mechanic's name however and they even looked up everything he had purchased there. The guy at the counter saw nothing ever purchased under his name, or his family's.

He had been fired a few months prior by the new management and I find it interesting that he apparently "never bought anything there".

The thing that really gets me though, is if they can authenticate that the part was purchased at that location, then why can't they honor my warranty?

I tried calling the District Manager, but like I've read elsewhere on this site, they are conveniently always "unavailable". I've had to deal with rude in-store employees, and always getting the run around from them. I'm not complaining about them, because I know they are idiots.

Is there any way I will ever get my warranty honored, or am I out of luck?

My advice to anyone who goes there: SAVE THE RECEIPT!!!!

Zach
Phelan, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/15/2008 12:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Autozone/Phelan-California/Auto-Zone-Will-Not-Honor-Warranty-On-Part-Phelan-California-401369. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Autozone

Warranty

AUTHOR: Chief - (U.S.A.)

Unless the starter was listed as sold under your name, how would Autozone know that you had bought it. A person can get a starter off a junker and take it into Autozone and tell them that they had bought it, when in fact it was purchased by someone else, maybe even years ago.

Even if your mechanic had purchased it, he should have put it under your name and phone number, otherwise he should be the one to guarantee it.

Gee, I Wonder Why

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

"He had apparently never BOUGHT anything there". Bought is the key word. Either he didn't BUY it or he bought it using his employee discount and turned around and sold it. That's probably why they fired him.