• Report: #632090

Complaint Review: Autozone

• Submitted: Mon, August 16, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, August 12, 2011

• Reported By: Steve — Mesa Arizona U.S.A.
Autozone

Autozone Autozone has a problem with returns even if you have a receipt and the part has not been used Internet

*Consumer Comment: You do the same

*UPDATE Employee: return policy enforced

*Author of original report: Returning an unused item with the original receipt is abuse ?

*Consumer Comment: Ah. Excellent

I  bought a  bunch of  stuff  at  an  "Autozone"  store,  among other items  there  was a  big can of  freon (R-134a)  for $ 29.99

When I  tried to use  the credit on my  Autozone card the store clerk made a  mistake and  was not  able  to apply  the credit to this  purchase.  So  he  made a  return and rang  the  stuff  up  again.  When I  tried  to  return the big  can of  freon because only a  little bit was missing in my  A/C,  the  computer  said  "this  item has already  been returned".   I  told  the clerk:  "here is  the can,  it  has not been returned,  and it is brandnew, not been opened...  don't  you see it ?  here is the receipt showing that I purchased it..."

I  asked  the  store  clerk  to  give me store  credit instead if  a  refund was  a  big problem for them.  he asked me for my  driver's  license,  swiped it  and the display said  "return  denied"  -  he  printed  out  a  slip that  gave me a  number for  an external  "return approval company".   when I  called  this   company  they  told me  "  you had another  return without a  receipt within the last  6  months,  this is why  you were not approved for store credit"

Autozone,  you made my  day -   if  you believe that you can play  games with customers,  not  with me.   Wal-Mart is cheaper,  anyway and they sell  Freon as  well.  If  it is something else that I need  next time it is going to be  Checker or  Pep Boys.  I  hope that this  "Store credit approval company"  will  increase your revenue and  create many, many  happy  customers  that will happily  continue to frequent your  stores.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2010 10:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Autozone/internet/Autozone-Autozone-has-a-problem-with-returns-even-if-you-have-a-receipt-and-the-part-has-632090. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Autozone

You do the same

AUTHOR: eekabeeka - (United States of America)

Do not forget. You do the same when you leave. If you know how to open a door that is.

return policy enforced

AUTHOR: crsinsa - (USA)

as a long time employee of the company, I have seen several instances of fraud. Autozone goes to great lengths to ensure that all returns are done correctly and by the book. It is very possible of employee error, and i dont doubt that, however, Loss Prevention puts things like this in place to ensure two thing... correct proceedure is being followed, and that employees are doing as they are instructed to do. By them doing there job cuts down loss in each store, therefore allowing our prices to be flexible in the market.

Returning an unused item with the original receipt is abuse ?

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

Yes,  I got your message,  Mr. Autozone:  Returning an item which is  clearly an Autozone item  within a  week  (according to the barcode)  is  abuse for your company,  no matter if  the customer has a  receipt or not.

And  if  that  same customer has  returned an item for $ 3.99  four or five months ago than he is probably a  scammer.  Yes,  Sir -  I  totally  agree with you.  Anybody  who steps into one of your stores is  a  potential  criminal.

And  I  agree with you,  there are plenty of  businesses around that  are smart enough to know that   the way  how they treat  a  customer  when trying to return something creates  (or destroys)   customer loyalty.

Ah. Excellent

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

I think it is excellent that Autozone is taking measures to stop fraud. Many stores, online and off, are running returns through companies to find those who abuse generous return policies.

Also, I find it HILARIOUS that you say "Wal-Mart is cheaper" and then go on to mention stores other than Wal-Mart that you will shop at. Fantastic.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!