Complaint Review: Avis Budget Rent A Car

• Reported By: Dinoforte — Reno Nevada USA
Avis Budget Rent A Car
4500 South 129th East Ave Tulsa, Oklahoma United States of America

Avis Budget Rent A Car Break in due to disconnected auto alarm Tulsa, Oklahoma

On July 15, during a vacation in Costa Rica, my automobile was broke into and all my valuables including laptop computer, Nikon D500 camera with multiple lenses, hard drives, money and passports, to name a few, where stolen from the trunk of my rental car, license plate number 781395.
When I received the car from the resort town of Quepos, Costa Rica's BUDGET CAR office, I was never told that the car alarm was disconnected. I was instructed not to leave any valuables visible inside the car instead to make sure to lock it in the trunk. I did and followed, not just the agent's recommendation, but common sense. From the very first day, every time I left the car I pressed the "electronic button on the car key" and the lock was confirmed by a double flicking of the signal lights on the car and I took this action as a "activation of the alarm" since I have 2 autos that locks and activate the alarm the same way and have done with previous rental cars companies.

After we filed a police report, cut our vacation short, pay for "new passports and other expenses" on July 21, we contacted Budget  Avis Budget Car Rental, LLC. 6 Sylvan Way  Parsippany, NJ, but they never responded. I sent a second (register letter) explaining once more the events and also the statement of their representative in Costa Rica "THE REASON WE DISCONNECT THE ALARM IN ALL OF OUR AUTOMOBILES IS BECAUSE WE WERE RECEIVING CALLS OF FALSE ALARM AND THIS WAS TAKEN VALUABLE TIME FROM OUR EMPLOYEES" I was told.

A company representative Mr. Walker, from the Avis Budget group, Inc. 4500 South 129th East Avenue P.O. Box 699000 Tulsa, Oklahoma  office replied back with the tone "you were given a brochure stating that the alarm was disconnected" (they never did it's a lie) and included copies of the contract highlighting that "I would return the car in perfect condition (and I did and this has noting to do with the fact that we got robbed because they (budget) disconnected the alarm for their own convenience) and basically that it was my fault. Also stated that I should deal with the BUDGET CAR RENTAL in Costa Rica.

Over $6000 of itemized personal property was stolen due to the negligence of BUDGET by disconnecting the auto alarm and they refuse to take responsibility? I have taken the proper approach to reason with the company, but they would not admit any negligence so, if a resolution is not found I have couple of options left.
1) File a small claim court (a company can be sued in my State as long as they have an office that represent them) and we do have a office at our local airport.

2) Will write to the two largest newspapers in Costa Rica "TICO TIMES English newspaper" and the "EL NACIONAL Spanish newspaper" to make people aware and expose this gross negligence by BUDGET RENTAL CAR.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/07/2009 11:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Avis-Budget-Rent-A-Car/Tulsa-Oklahoma-74169-9000/Avis-Budget-Rent-A-Car-Break-in-due-to-disconnected-auto-alarm-Tulsa-Oklahoma-491291. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Avis Budget Rent A Car