sticks

• Submitted: Thu, September 07, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, March 04, 2008

• Reported By:Oakboro North Carolina
Avon Products
Youravon.com Concord, North Carolina U.S.A.

Avon Products, big Ripoff, Cant make money Concord North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Avon Passes Along Ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Can't help but stick up for Avon as a customer!

*Consumer Comment: How ridiculous!

*Consumer Comment: Avon...what a joke!

*UPDATE Employee: RE: Avon Products, big Ripoff, Cant make money Concord North Carolina

I am a new Avon Rep. I started in july 2006. I stated that I wanted this to me part time, I am a stay at home mom who also homeschools my daughter. I was promised that I could choose my own days and hours to work. Just hand out brochures, and the money would come running in. Was I fooled. My first chamPAIN I sold $114 and did not make money. Plus you have to order and PAY for your own brochures. You have to pay $0.75 for EACH customer, $2.50 for each order and shippimg and handling.

My DMA is really of no help. She is not married, has no children so she has all of the time in the world to run around and hand out books. To become a E-Rep you have to pay $7.25 every 2 weeks. IF you do not sell at least $225 in sales every champaingn, you drop to 40% profit.

If someone orders from Avon online and uses your phone number you get 20% profit.

You are supose to come to meetings, have fundraisers, have parties. I do not have time for all of this. I have spent money on Ads, brochures, business cards and for what? If you are single, and have no children, this would be perfect. I am not here to offend anyone. Just my opinion.
Avon is not for me.

Kelly
Oakboro, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/07/2006 08:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Avon-Products/Concord-North-Carolina/Avon-Products-big-Ripoff-Cant-make-money-Concord-North-Carolina-209882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Avon Products

Avon Passes Along Ripoff

AUTHOR: Kate - (U.S.A.)

My neighbor recently announced she would be selling Avon. She is a nice, retired lady, so some of us decided we'd have a look at the latest catalog. I ordered one item and inquired how much I would owe my representative, including sales tax, only to find a taxable .75 charge on my order. The representative explained she already pays for the catalogs (something I already knew.) She apparently pays a set fee of .55 per catalog.

Bottom line the catalog charge of .75 is not a good value to the customer. If I order one item per month I would be paying more for Avon catalogs than for Neiman Marcus catalogs.

Every woman who has ever sold Avon products knows the profit is disappointingly low. Everything costs the representative -- it is a company that "nickels and dimes" representatives to death. The volume of sales anyone would have to maintain to make a reasonable living would be monumental.

Avon has lost my business, and I have said so. The catalog fee is tantamount to a five star hotel charging me to launder the towels.

Can't help but stick up for Avon as a customer!

AUTHOR: Juliet - (U.S.A.)

I have no issues with anything anyone has said about being an Avon sales rep. In fact, I agree that if someone I don't know just leaves me a brochure, not likely I'll contact them. Maybe, but for one thing, I WOULD be questioning how long they're going to be doing it. Another, if I don't know them, how can I have any reason to believe that I'll get my order?

But regarding the quality of Avon merchandise, that is where I AM an expert, lololol, much to the delight of my Avon reps! (Yep, have had more than one, due primarily to coworkers going elsewhere.)

Now I am referring to clothes and jewelry, I don't use makeup or perfume. Sure, they may have items for prices that keep me from immediately purchasing them, but likely as not, wait a few brochures, and the prices will be $10 or more less than they started out.

You do run the risk of the items being no longer available if you wait, but really didn't have that happen more than once or twice, if at all.

The clothing I have bought from Avon has been in the plus-size category, and for that reason alone, Avon is a fine company! Finding easily available, REASONABLY PRICED and GORGEOUS lingerie - that's a find! The jackets and stuff I bought, as well, were also wonderful quality and VERY attractive, which can be REALLY hard to find for plus-sizes! Not to mention, all items have been machine-washable, no matter how delicate the appearance, and that's a huge plus, regardless of your size!

As for the jewelry, definitely big disparities in price and quality for the price, but I always stuck to the $20 range items, and the quality has been outstanding. $20 is even a bit high for the prices I have paid for truly enjoyable and quality earrings.

I have also purchased many other items from Avon, for myself and for many, many gifts, and rarely has any of it, if ever, been cosmetics for anyone. I just loved it when the Avon brochure came around, cause I knew that I was likely to find something fun and pleasurable to get for somebody.

I also liked it very much that I was helping my coworkers out cause we are all in the same boat, income wise. Specifically, customer service reps and similar positions where extra income can really make a big difference. That was also what I enjoyed so much about Avon, I DON'T make a lot of money and still I can have fun buying pretty, quality and USEFUL items without busting my budget.

So to all the wonderful women who do find Avon to be working for them, thanks so much! I don't do it because very much not a salesperson, even a low key one!

How ridiculous!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

It is incredibly ridiculous to think that you simply "Just hand out brochures, and the money would come running in." Avon is centered around SALES, which requires EFFORT. You know what I do when I find an Avon brochure left by some stranger in my driveway or mailbox? I throw it away. Why would I want to do business with someone who doesn't even care to introduce themself, tell me a little about their company, recommend some products, etc.

Successfully selling Avon products requires some effort on your part. Why? Because these products are not available in retail stores, and people are not familiar with them, their ingredients, how they work, etc. Hosting a party every now and then allows people to test these supposedly wonderful products to see how great they are, and also make a purchase while they are there in your home.

If you don't have time to devote ANY effort whatsoever to selling Avon, then perhaps you have picked the wrong job.

Avon...what a joke!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

My wife was a "successful" Avon representative for several years. Over a period of time our storage areas looked like an Avon warehouse. A significant percentage of ordered products were'n accepted by the buyers....so....she got to "stock" them. Finally, at my continued insistance, most were eventually returned to Avon, I have no idea (and didn't want to know) exactly how much was refunded.

As time went on, my wife was offered a managerial position with Avon. Good money, new car furnished, "prestige" position. Yeah, right. Many hours were spent recruiting suckers...errr...ummm....Avon sales representatives. This also went on for a several years. Big sales conventions, a couple hundred sales representatives" in attendance, my wife and her narcissistic superior were in charge.

What a revealing episode these were when I also attended. The display products couldn't be put on the tables for display in advance or they disappeared. I was there to take pictures, I had two cameras stolen right out from under or from beside my chair. I have never been exposed to any group including such a high percentage of outright thieves. If you weren't sitting on it-kiss it good bye. Purses, products, cameras, you name it.

As the new Avon products were introduced, many (most?) were outrageously overpriced trinkets. Worthless flea-market type cheezy junk. The only product my wife contnued to use (after leaving Avon) was their "Care Deeply" loton. The Avon reps. have informed her this product was dropped from their line. Still available at flea markets at half price or less, this supply eventually dried up too. One of their singularly useful products. Go figure.

It actually ashamed me to view the Avon brochures illustrating the grossly overpriced candles, crap costume jewelry, trinkets, figurines and the like. Fortunately, my wife eventually found a real job. No new car with the new job, but many hours less and much less stress per week. The Avon management positions were, as far as I could tell, a "get 'em in, burn 'em out, find yet another sucker with the new car and management position carrot".

I have a wonderful, caring, lovely wife. In her 6 or 7 years of Avon management I watched her age about 8 or 9 years. I will be eternally sorry and guilty I didn't persuade her to dump the Avon management position earlier. Having to buy her a car was a mere pittance compared to the additional cost in health from the stress of Avon management. (And my embarrassment of the products and pricing) I wish I'd never heard of Avon products!

No Name-no city, please. ....Anonymous...but hey!...this ain't fiction, Jack!

RE: Avon Products, big Ripoff, Cant make money Concord North Carolina

AUTHOR: Lorena - (U.S.A.)

Kelly,

I am sorry your experience with Avon has been anything but pleasant.

I have been with Avon since February 2005 and I have a few things to say about your report:

-----

Avon CAN be a part-time business and you can choose your own hours. However, just like with any business venture, you get out what you put in. You can't just hand out brochures and expect people to flood you with orders--you must get contact info from the people you give brochures and follow up to get the orders.

-----

Even if your first order was all non-core items, you still had a profit of $22.80 (based on sales). With ANY catalog-based company, you will pay for brochures. Avon's are VERY inexpensive compared to other DS companies out there. The $.75 processing fee is split with Avon. You really pay $.375 and keep the other $.375 which your CUSTOMER is actually paying, not you. Order processing is $2.50 but if you submit your order ON TIME, there is NO shipping charge.

-----

It's difficult when you have a DM who just doesn't "get it". If your DM signed you up, you need to report her lack of assistance to Avon--IF you've asked for assistance and received none. If you haven't asked, why not?

The e-rep fee is actually $7.50/campaign and is only effective if you market the fact that you HAVE a website. List it on your brochures, in your email sig, on flyers--any Avon-related literature you pass out. If there are other e-reps in your zip code, you have to consider whether this investment is worth it. (I happen to be the only rep in my zip code and have gotten at least 5 leads in the last month via my website.)

Avon.com orders do receive 20% profit which isn't too shabby!

-----

Meetings are a great resource for information, though they're not required. Neither are fundraisers or parties.

Really, six months (if you are even still selling) is NOT a long time. Avon reps come and go (for whatever reason) and many people don't order the first time you give them a brochure because they want to see if you're going to stick around!

Avon has been in business for 120 years, they are one of the top-rated HBBs and have been a Fortune 500 business from the beginning. Please don't trash the COMPANY because you got a sorry upline.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC