Complaint Review: Axia Online,Aka UOP, University Of Phoenix, Apollo Group

• Updated: Tue, July 24, 2007

• Reported By:Roswell Georgia
Axia Online,Aka UOP, University Of Phoenix, Apollo Group
www.uop.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Axia Online, UOP, University Of Phoenix, Apollo Group Axia Dishonest, Hustling liars who will get you to sign up to pad thier paychecks. Once you are in they dont care. Ripoff Online Nationwide

*UPDATE Employee: To Angela

*Consumer Comment: I too went throught the same situation..

*Author of original report: I can Back up my claim

*Consumer Comment: Can anyone confirm what this lady says?

*Consumer Comment: University level teaching at $10 an hour?????

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Origins of U o P; former faculty member

I started my wonderful online "distance" learning experience after being in a local 4 year university for a year. I loved the learning experience but it was a tad slow, so I figured I would get my AA in accounting through UoP (My first mistake) and then go back to Univ of GA for my BA and my MBA. They offered up an AA in Accounting in only 18 months. So I went for it. I went through my first block of classes annd ace'd them. My academic counselor (Dagmara Orchal)had lost her mind and would call me 3-4 times a day at work eventually causing me to loose my job eventhough it had been noted to NOT CALL AT WORK. I went to my second block of classes and blew out my knee, This caused me to put those classes on hold, I couldn't so the Finance counselor told me to Auto Drop (just not show up) and he would credit the classes to me. I have since then tried to reenter classes to make up for the missed 2 however I have been told I have to pay for the auto dropped classes first. they have since then transferred me to collections even though these classes were supposed to be credited.

This is my warning 12 months later with a total of 2 completed classes, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME or PATIENTCE with this company. They do not care about your education go to you local universities and look for alternatives.

Roswell, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2007 04:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Axia-OnlineAka-UOP-University-Of-Phoenix-Apollo-Group/nationwide/Axia-Online-UOP-University-Of-Phoenix-Apollo-Group-Axia-Dishonest-Hustling-liars-who-w-237653. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Axia Online,Aka UOP, University Of Phoenix, Apollo Group

To Angela

AUTHOR: Donald - (U.S.A.)

Axia attendance works by posting messages. If you post at least one message on two different days, you are considered to be in attendance for the week. This doesn't matter if it is a bio, an assignment, a question to your instructor or even a simple hello to other students in class. However, if you only posted your bio and nothing else, this does not qualify for attendance.

It sounds like you are being charged for the first week of attendance. If this is the case then you should be pro-rated the full tuition for one week of class. At $295 per credit x 3 credits per class this comes to $885. Divide this figure by 9 weeks and you get $98.34 for one week of attendance. Add in the cost of books for two classes and your total should come to about, $326.68. If you only attended one week of class for two classes then this would be the amount you would owe. Make sure you find out how many times and weeks the school has stated that you posted in class. If you only took one class then your total would be $163.34.

When you take out financial aid you have an obligation to complete 24 credits to maintain full time status over the academic year. How many credits have you completed since you started school?

If your total is at or close to 12 credits then you are over halfway and you should not owe more than half the amount given to you. What I mean is that when you started school, you would have been given about $3312.50 in loan money to pay for four classes totaling 12 credits.

In any case the best way that I can offer advice for your situation is if you could state the following:

* Date you started school
* Amount of classes you have taken
* Amount of classes you have completed
* Date you stopped attending school
* Your grant amount (to help determine the out of pocket estimate)
* Total credits you transferred in to the school

This information that I am asking for is pretty general in nature and should not cause any privacy issues or concerns. Please do not post your name or IRN in any case.

After all is said and done there is hope after Axia. Even though you have taken out a loan it may not be fully utilized for that academic year. You can transfer the remainder to another school of your choosing. I would suggest that you go to the NSLDS website at (nslds.ed.gov) to determine the actual amounts paid to Axia for your education. As long as you are not out of school for more than 6 months, your payments on your loan remain deferred. If you have received a statement from the lender that you must pay, you only have to ensure that your payments are current and then they can be deferred as you start attending another school. Hope this helps.

I too went throught the same situation..

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

I used to attend Axia College Online while living in Missouri. Once my husband and I decided to relocate back to California I had to put my classes on hold. It was the begining of a new block of classes and I posted my bio. Mind you a bio is not an assignment and you are not graded for it. It just simply allows the other students to meet you. The next day I contacted my the school and informed them that I needed to take a leave of absense for around two months. I had a 3.5 GPA and didn't want my grades to fall due to my relcoation.

I was then informed that I could not take a leave of absense because I posted my bio, therefore, I was considered a "auto drop." Not to mention I now had to pay over 800 dollars for each course because of this "auto drop" They will no accept payments but rather this "bill" needs to be paid in full before you can re-enroll. I am in no situation to repay that high of a bill in full.

So I chalked it up to not going back to that school and I would attend a different University that would not treat me with disrespect. I later came to find out that since I was attending school with the use of financial aid that once I was "dropped" Axia reported this to finacial aid and in turn financial aid stopped payment on my education. Now that this happened I not only have a bill to Axia for over 800 dollars but owe a student loan in the amount of over 7,000 that is now on my credit. Until these are paid I cannot attend ANY school with the use of financial aid which means that any classes I take will have to come out of pocket. Thank you so much Axia for destroying my education and my families future.

I can Back up my claim

AUTHOR: Melyssa - (U.S.A.)

I am not sure about the lady saying they get paid 10/hr. But I do have all of the emails between the multiple counselors and myself regarding the credit of my account. Copies are currently in possession of my attorney and I have been asked not to share them publicly yet, As we are about to have a small suit filed against Axia, themselves, for baut and swutch tactics and Valentine and Kabardas, their collection company, for harassment.

Can anyone confirm what this lady says?

AUTHOR: Carl - (U.S.A.)

That the UOP pays its adjunct professors around $10 per hr?

University level teaching at $10 an hour?????

AUTHOR: Kyle - (U.S.A.)

How could any school hope to find qualified teachers who actually "cared," for this sum? Is this rate recent, or many years ago?

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Origins of U o P; former faculty member

AUTHOR: Lynn - (U.S.A.)

I believe that the University of Phoenix was established in California, and apparently later moved its headquarters to Phoenix, AZ, probably as an attempt to establish congruity with its name. First tip off.

I LOVE this thread, and am glad to see the fraudulent practices exposed. Laugh out loud funny comments, along with the exposure of a very sad situation that has disrupted many lives.

I used to teach undergraduate classes at UoP (ground) and my pay worked out to about $10/ hour. Most students' highest prority seemed to getting an A, even if their work was lousy, because they wanted to go to graduate school. How pitiful that they were deluded into thinking that would be an easy process.

After all this discussion, anyone who is still considering enrolling at the UoP should print out this report/ thread and take it to a therapist who can help the prospective student with a realty check.