Complaint Review: Aztec Roofing - Aztec Construction - Alcove Roofing And Siding - USA Roofing Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, October 16, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, April 02, 2009

• Reported By:Eagan Minnesota
Burnsville, MN 55337 Burnsville, Minnesota U.S.A.

Aztec Roofing (aka) Aztec Construction (aka) Alcove Roofing And Siding (aka) USA Roofing Inc. +more Below code construction, lied about materials used, false documents, ignored code and permit inspections Burnsville Minnesota

*Author of original report: *UPDATE ..

Company signed contract regarding a $30,000 roof replacement. Aztec stated they would replace shakes, install ridge vent, ice shield, chimney flashings, step flashings, other vents, gutters, and pull a permit.

The following shows a clear intent to defraud both me and my insurance company. Aztec claimed they were "Charter Member Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau" (from their website) and a statement from the Bureau stated: "The companies you are asking about in the State of Illinois or Minnesota have never been members of our organization."

Aztec did not install the shakes properly. The gaps were too large and misaligned. I also discovered shakes not even stapled in, but instead they were just shoved under other shakes.

I paid for a continuous ridge vent, this is extremely important due to the vault of my house design. Aztec did not install this, despite my numerous complaints (for years) and even filings with the BBB and the MN AG.

I paid for 678 linear feet of ice shield. Aztec installed only about 90 feet which is well below code.

I paid for sidewall step flashing ($1300.00). Aztec lied and simply reused the old step flashing. This can easily be proven as the old flashing had paint on it from previous house colors.

I have 2 chimneys and Aztec was paid to replace the flashing. They just pried up the old stuff and then re-stapled it down. Again... easily proven by old paint splatters over the past decades.

Aztec installed some vents, but in the wrong areas. They did not even install the quantity of vents stated in the contract.

Aztec tried to get away with all of this by not having ANY of their work inspected by the city. They did pull a permit, but according to the City of Eagan the job was never started. A quick inspection by the chief engineer shows several major violations.

Aztec was paid to replace the gutters, but they did not even install a drip edge, which is vital with cedar shakes. This caused water to run behind my soffit and fascia, causing major rot. Also, I had had issues with water even running down the interior walls and even water coming out of outlets!

Aztec's failure to install proper venting caused major ice buildup in my attic spacing and thus over $20,000 worth of damage to my interior. My insurance company, Liberty Mutual, stated the damage to my interior was due to "contractor error" and thus not covered.

100% of the items I paid Aztec to do was either done wrong, or they simply lied for financial gain. If this isn't "intent to defraud" I don't know what is!

I have lots and lots of pictures if anyone is interested.

I chose Aztec because they told me they used nails on shakes and "local people". When the crew showed up NONE OF THEM SPOKE ENGLISH and all of the license plates were from Texas and Oklahoma. After the first day they stopped using nails and switched to staples.

Aztec was also contracted to install 3 skylights. The crew was so clueless they installed 2 of the 3 skylights with the roof trusses running through the middle of the window! They fixed it, but the skylights were crooked and the flashing was installed wrong, so it looks horrible.

I am just an average citizen who works 2 full time jobs and this is just an average home and now I'm looking at a minimum of $60,000 worth of damage to my house. They lied, they cheated, and they cut corners. The more that I dig, the more unhappy customers I find.

I am currently suing them and I have also written several state agencies requesting criminal charges be brought against Aztec Construction for 'Intent to Defraud' for financial gain.

When a company lies about every aspect of a project, hides the false claims of replacing things, and even fails to call a permit inspector, it's well beyond a "I forgot" excuse.

These guys should be allowed near any one's house, much less be allowed to do insurance work as what was done to my property is nothing less than criminal. I'm afraid to see what other damage their below-code construction has caused. I have water damage in nearly every room of my house, my carpet is ruined, there's water stains on my 1st floor electrical outlets, and now the ceiling is starting to warp.

And I don't even want to think about mold... but with the mass of water stains on my walls it appears that I need to start ripping down most of the sheetrock to see the extent of the damage caused by a lousy company who told me they would install item after item, when in fact they simply claimed they did (and were paid!) and did not.... to save a buck.

To defraud for financial gain is criminal. I am simply stating the facts from someone who trusted this company to do the work they were paid to do. They did not, I was ripped off, and now my house is ruined.

Every single item on the contract was not done to code or simply not done at all.

Andy
Eagan, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2007 12:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aztec-Roofing-Aztec-Construction-Alcove-Roofing-And-Siding-USA-Roofing-Inc/Burnsville-Minnesota-55337/Aztec-Roofing-aka-Aztec-Construction-aka-Alcove-Roofing-And-Siding-aka-USA-Roofing-I-278953. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aztec Roofing - Aztec Construction - Alcove Roofing And Siding - USA Roofing Inc.

*UPDATE ..

AUTHOR: Andy - (U.S.A.)

The case has been settled and I am awaiting the completion of a new roof provided by Aztec Construction.