Complaint Review: BBG Communications

• Submitted: Sun, November 02, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, November 02, 2008

• Reported By:New York New York
BBG Communications
1658 Gailes Blvd. Ste B San Ysidro, California U.S.A.

BBG Communications: $124.73 To Call US From Dominican Republic! For two phone calls (one which didn't connect!) $124.73! San Ysidro California

While staying in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, I decided to use the hotel lobby International Calling pay phone to call my parents in New York. Four days later, I received two charges to my credit card for $41.91 and $82.82. In US dollars.

Silly me for making a call to the USA with a phone that doesn't have any information posted on/around it about airtime rates, but I would never imagine to be charged a total of $124.73! I was charged 5 minutes for the phone call that never connected (they claim it did), and then for a 14 minute call. Which I don't even believe was 14 minutes -- I was in a hurry to meet friends for dinner.

I called BBG this morning (after the charges went from "pending" to "posted") to complain. They informed me that the rates I was charged started at $3.99/min, plus an additional fee since they use satellite service to complete the call!

I am supposed to receive a refund for $49.88, but the amount I will still be charged is absurd. They use no advertising in and around their pay phones to advise for rates, they don't inform you of the rate during the call, and my connection was awful!

I strongly advise when traveling abroad to contact your cellular phone provider and see what rates they'll charge you instead. Verizon told me that my phone would work overseas, and I would've paid $1.99/min. Why I didn't use my cell is beyond me. Plus, your service provider actually cares about your business -- so they will be sure to charge you what their customer service representative said they'd charge you. Unlike BBG, who just wants your money.

Marilyn
New York, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/02/2008 08:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBG-Communications/San-Ysidro-California-92173/BBG-Communications-12473-To-Call-US-From-Dominican-Republic-For-two-phone-calls-one-w-387149. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BBG Communications