masses

• Submitted: Wed, July 08, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, July 08, 2009

• Reported By:middleburg Virginia
BB&T Branch Banking Of Virgina (headquarters N. Carolina
P.O. Box 1489 Lumberton, North Carolina U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-682-6981
  • Web:
  • Category: Liars

BB&T Branch Banking Of Virgina (headquarters N. Carolina FRAUD WARNING: BB&T banks are not registered in Va. summons to court on closed account Lumberton North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Be Sure to Do A Search of Your Law Firm First.....

*Consumer Suggestion: A little advice....

Unbelievable: My account with BB&T has been closed for over a year and a half in May I get served a summons to court for bank fees on an account that has been closed since Jan. of 2008. It is now July 2009. A summons was served in May. At the time my account was closed I received a close check for $9,200.00. I have never received one letter or call telling me that I owed anything...if I owed how did I close out my account with $9,200.00.
I now have to go to court to show that my account was closed. I have called BB&T Headquarters in NC. I tried filing a complaint with Va Banking but BB&T is not registered in Va. so they do not have to follow Va. Banking Laws or Guidelines. Be warned used a bank or credit union in your state or you have no recourse. Withdraw your money. NOW. from BB&T. I have been referred to a law firm of Glasser and Glasser. I keep being told when my court date is. No one will help me. I am told to hire a lawyer for $1,200 owed them. I have to get a lawyer at $350 an hour to fight fees of approx. $1,200.
This has got to be stopped by us. We are a free country but I have to defend myself against a law firm of 20 lawyers on an account that has been closed for over a year and a half. I have called everyone I can think of no one has answers. I have gone to the TV station and hopefully the story will surface. My next approach is the newspaper. Please spread the word about getting a bank that follows your state regulations..withdraw your money from BB&T.

Lin
middleburg, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/08/2009 09:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBT-Branch-Banking-Of-Virgina-headquarters-N-Carolina/Lumberton-North-Carolina-28359/BBT-Branch-Banking-Of-Virgina-headquarters-N-Carolina-FRAUD-WARNING-BBT-banks-are-not-467663. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BB&T Branch Banking Of Virgina (headquarters N. Carolina

Be Sure to Do A Search of Your Law Firm First.....

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

You need to answer the complaint, but I would be careful first. You might be better off just paying the $1200 because the lawyer will charge you for more than 4 hours of billable time plus any negotiation. If given a choice, I'd rather pay a bank than pay a lawyer.

You might also try small claims.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

A little advice....

AUTHOR: Luqicharmz - (U.S.A.)

I worked for account recovery at a different bank for many years and admit I don't know BB&T's policies. Did you have any auto debits that you may have forgotten to change or any charges outstanding when you closed your account? Even when you close your account, auto debits and outstanding debit card purchases can reopen the account, post and create a snowball effect with NSF fees. Even if that was the case though, you should have received letters from BB&T. Is it possible that you received a letter and didn't open it because you knew that the account was closed? I've had many customers call upset because this situation had happened to them and they disregarded the letter because they knew they had closed the account and thought it was marketing. I'm not trying to say, in any way, that this is your fault. I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the situation. If you had been my customer, I would have advised you go into the bank and request a statement reprint from the month you closed your account and the two month after that. Phone representative can't view statements prior to 60 days ago so no one you talk to on the phone has any idea why they're saying you owe a balance. Again, I'm not sure that this is the same policy at BB&T, but it's worth a try. So when you get your statements (they might charge you $5 for them), it should show exactly what happened. If it's something you authorized, you may still be able to contact account recovery and settle before court. (We never took anyone to court so I'm not sure how that works.) I'm sorry to say that if it was fraud or unauthorized transactions, it's too late to dispute. I do know that Visa regulates all checkcard disputes and you only have 60 days to dispute a charge. All other types of transactions have varying timeframes, but I'd say that over a year is too late. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Best of luck!