Complaint Review: BB&T

• Submitted: Thu, January 08, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, January 17, 2009

• Reported By:houston Texas
BB&T
BBT.COM PAINTSVILLE, Kentucky U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-226-5228
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

BB&T OMG! THIS COMPANY IS HORRID! PAINTSVILLE Kentucky

*Consumer Suggestion: Thin Ice

my fiance joined this bank in february of 2007, after leaving the navy...we ONLY joined this bank because it was the *best* in town according to his family...

horsesh*t!!! a few years ago THEY LOST $20k my mother in law deposited in her savings for her home downpayment!

our issue with them, is as i wrote them tonight, our BS o/d fees probably equal my fiance's 401k contributions from last year! my fiance was supposed to be paid on xmas eve of 2008, bbt says NO! that it was the branch managers decision to deposit it EARLY? so we call the branch, and manager says no it's corporate...well whatever, his deposit posted on CHRISTMAS DAY!!! after about 300 in o/d fees...we pay 750 rent right now, i guarantee since this account's inception, we've probably paid 2+ months worth of rent in these bs fees! my step-mother in law, deposited 200 in our account, and the idiot behind the counter used fiance's ssn as an ACCOUNT number!!! so 200 floated around bbt for oh idk like 2 weeks!!! and THEN, they held the deposit even though it was CASH!!! fiance's direct deposits are supposed to be AVAILABLE at the START of the payday(every other friday) when the branch opens. INSTEAD they "pend" his check, and deposit it friday night, which SEVERAL times has cost us o/d fees. and when fiance's employer twice messed up his pay, bbt charged us WIRE FEES for employer deposits!!!

i hate this bank, we have an active but unused navy federal credit union account, as well as a usaa savings/checking that are active but unused....we're waiting for new cards and after taxes, and switching! last year with our taxes, our refund came in on january 21, but they held it until the 25th to *VERIFY PAYMENT*....it's the freaking IRS, like they're going to send "bad money" to an account!!!!!

jessica
houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2009 12:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBT/PAINTSVILLE-Kentucky-41240/BBT-OMG-THIS-COMPANY-IS-HORRID-PAINTSVILLE-Kentucky-409457. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BB&T

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Thin Ice

AUTHOR: Bigboppak - (U.S.A.)

**My wife and I have been customers (non-business) of BB&T for for over 25 years. We went with them because the "big banks" didn't seem to care, even back then. When we were just starting out and we had very little money so bank fees really hurt the few times we erred. I remember when BB&T started buying (they call it mergers-acquisitions) other businesses. I was worried that they would become like Wachovia (now deceased) but, at least locally, they haven't.

**Your experiences, in large part, seem to have been caused by incompetent individuals. Understand, I am NOT defending the banking industry; I hold them in low regard as a group. I have not paid a fee to BB&T for so many years I can't remember. I'm afraid what has happened to you, and many other customers, is a combination of two main things: 1) banking rules that allow them to charge relatively huge fees for overdrafts 2) customers who "skate on thin ice" by by writing checks that (with the new check clearing system) MAY not be covered under the new rules. These rules allow banks to process deposits and debits in such a way as to cause more checks to bounce than would have "back in the old days". Yes, it stinks, but banks are in the business of making money and fees are the key.

**In our early days when money was tight I recall checking my balance and not being able to take $5 out. It was hard but we watched our balances so no checks bounced. Now, after years of hard work, we are able to keep a "cushion" in the account and watch the balance so nothing comes even close to bouncing.

**The solution is to work toward creating a buffer to protect you from overdrafts and the [absurd] fees the banks are going to charge. If you are not organized and you don't watch out for your business this advice won't help. There are free (never pay, you'll get ripped off I guarantee) services available around the country that will help you budget (yes, budget, a word that still makes my wife crazy) and handle your money.

**I feel compelled to repeat, you can't help dealing with **stupid** employees. They are out there and you need to take care of your own business and not let them do dumb things that affect you negatively. Good luck, BPKD