Complaint Review: BB&T

• Submitted: Thu, December 04, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, June 27, 2009

• Reported By:chesapeake Virginia
BB&T
Virginia Beach Blvd. Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 757-456-1060
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

BB&T We need to file a lawsuit against BB&T for unethical banking practices Virginia Beach Virginia

*Consumer Comment: I am willing to participate in Class Action Lawsuit agianst BBT

*Consumer Comment: Class Action Lawsuit is Needed

*UPDATE Employee: Withdrawal/Deposit practices

*Consumer Comment: I'm confused

I feel that I have been a victim of BB&T since they changed their deposit policies back in April 2008. I have had my checking account with them for 11 years and am being treated like crap. They are holding regular deposits for a day and a half! Not only that, here is the kicker One Thursday afternoon I was out of gas so I put $20 in my car. First thing Friday morning, I deposit CASH into my account to cover the gas charges. Cash post immediately is what I was told, and even the first $100 dollars if it's a check. Sounds good, right? Well, the gas charge posted Friday at midnight and I was hit with an overdraft fee! WTF!!! I called them first thing Monday and it was explained to me that even though the cash was in there, it does not post immediately. (even though I could withdraw it from the ATM if I wanted to.) Oh, and they couldn't refund your NSF fee either.

Can we get a class action law suit started here? I know I'm not the only one being victimized by BB&T with their unethical banking practices.

Chesapeake, va
chesapeake, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2008 09:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBT/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23462/BBT-We-need-to-file-a-lawsuit-against-BBT-for-unethical-banking-practices-Virginia-Beach-397778. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BB&T

I am willing to participate in Class Action Lawsuit agianst BBT

AUTHOR: Jfo9812 - (U.S.A.)

We have just got off the phone with them. When we looked at our account this morning there were over $300 dollars worth of overdraft fees in our account. The representative said that there was a check cashed that put it in the negative a couple dollars and everything else in the two days prior that was pending was charged $35 each. They were all small transactions. When the large check was cashed we looked at the account before we wrote it and there was NOTHING pending AND enough money to cover it! I am sick and tired of the bank taking all of our hard earned money through small technicalities. We are having a hard enough time staying afloat in todays economy. This should be dealt with!

Class Action Lawsuit is Needed

AUTHOR: Jeannie - (U.S.A.)

I would like to respond to the compliant by saying that I totally agree. I am currently filing reports with the FDIC, Better Business Bureau and with BB&T corporate. This is completly unprofessional. I myself have been dealing with the same unethical practices of BB&T; and I believe a class action lawsuit is needed.

Also, of course people are going to attack stating that it is the customers fault that these NSF fees are happening. Everybody makes mistakes- but the same ones at the same bank in different states?? Come on now- BB&T needs to take some responsibilty to thier low class actions.

Withdrawal/Deposit practices

AUTHOR: Yoyo1432 - (U.S.A.)

Hey there,

Just wanted to comment on your complaint. Even though you deposited cash the next day, banking is in real time. So if you make a charge that might not be a visible post to you, for example in your online banking ledger, it will still post in a chronological order. Let's say that you bought the gas, as you said on Thursday and then made the deposit on Friday. Hypothetically let's say that you can't see the gas purchase post until Saturday. Even still, it will still show up as a purchase with the date that you made the purchase (Thursday), as purchases can be tracked down to the second. So even though you can't see it post, it will always go in chronological order. So at the time that you purchased the gas you didn't have the deposit of cash that you made that would have covered it because the purchase itself was made prior to the real time deposit. As for holding deposits, there are federal requirements and regulations that all banks must abide by. Failure to comply can result in company and personal fines and imprisonment.

I'm confused

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

You admit that you withdrew when there was no money in the account, why would you think that you shouldn't get a NSF charge? The overdraft occurred when you pumped th egas, not when the bank updated the next day.