Complaint Review: BBVA COMPASS BANK

• Reported By: Marsha — Corinth Texas USA
BBVA COMPASS BANK

BBVA COMPASS BANK Compass Bank NSF FEES Internet

*Author of original report: Re: Robert

*Consumer Comment: A couple of things..

I have been in battle with Compass Bank since 8/2 and they have finally quit corresponding with me as of last week when I proved to them outright that they were in the wrong. They were supposed to have a member of the CCU department call me, which he did, but always when I wasn't at home. I left him several messages of when to call me, in which he told me to do in the voicemail, but we never connected and only tried contacting me twice.

I check my bank balance every day and my husband gets paid every 2 weeks. I had a check come through my account the same day as his direct deposit but Compass stated that the check was presented during the time frame of 7/28 to 8/1. The check was written on 7/28 and not even mailed until 7/28 so there was no way it could have been presented on 7/28. I actually contacted the payee of the check to verify when they received it and they stated they did not receive it until 8/2.

Compass finally admitted that it was presented on 8/2 but since it was in the early morning hours per their "posting guidelines" it was considered a prior day item. Someone please tell me how a check can be a "prior day item" when it was not even RECEIVED until 8/2. I understand that once received it can clear the same day through clearinghouse banks but I can't understand how a check can clear a prior day when it was not even received.

If I'm overdrawn, I'm overdrawn and don't make an issue out of it. But this time they are clearly in the wrong and after 10 emails they finally admitted it but of course made another excuse not to refund me my nsf fees.

Not that it will do any good but I am making a copy of the check that clearly shows when the item cleared and also all my nsf fees that were charged because of it and sending them all to the CEO of the bank. After that I am closing my account with them and will make sure that everyone I know does not EVER bank with them because of their tactics.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/24/2010 08:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBVA-COMPASS-BANK/internet/BBVA-COMPASS-BANK-Compass-Bank-NSF-FEES-Internet-634346. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BBVA COMPASS BANK

Re: Robert

AUTHOR: Marsha - (USA)

Robert,

I worked in a bank for over 10 years and yes that was back in the 80's but things haven't changed that much and I do know how to read the MICR coding that appears on the checks.

With that being said the check was not presented for payment until 8/2/2010 per the MICR coding on the check and there is no other coding on the check whatsoever.

I just got off the phone with a customer service rep from Compass and she stated NOW that they process debits before credits when I have it in writing from 2 different CSR's that they process credits before debits. So what kind of a bank are they running if their CSR's can't even get their information correct?

A couple of things..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Okay first if you have proof that the company physically received the check on the 2nd, and Compass posted it on the 1st then yes you may have a very good case and I am sure more than a few lawyers will want to talk to you.

However, IF the company received the check on the 1st but it was after their cut-off time they may have still processed it but marked it as being received on the 2nd.  If they did this they may actually be the ones with a problem.  Now, since it was actually processed on the 1st they could still submit it in the nightly batch.  This occurs overnight(generally around midnight), and if that happens all banks treat that as the previous business day.

There is not a lot of detail as to exactly what happened.  The best thing you can do to see exactly what happened is to get a copy of your check.  Hopefully this will have some date information that will show the bank information when the company presented the check and when they received it.