Complaint Review: BBVA Compass

North HWY 77, Waxahachie, Tx Waxahachie, Texas United States of America

BBVA Compass Overdraft Charges For Cleared Items Waxahachie, Texas

*Author of original report: No

*Consumer Comment: You should be very upset...at yourself

I have been a customer for years with BBVA Compass.  This past September, they changed their overdraft policy.  I recently used my card in 3 different transactions giving me 3 pending items. 2 of the pending items cleared with money left over, but the 3rd item went into overdraft.  I recieved 3 overdraft charges of 38 dollars each.  I went to the bank explaining that 2 of my items cleared with money still left over and that they still charged me for both of those items and they told me that because they were all pending at the same time, I got a charge for all three charges. The one charge for the one item that went over is understandable and I expect to pay that charge but I cannot understand how I have to pay a total of 76 dollars for items that were covered.  I am so upset about this!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2012 11:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BBVA-Compass/Waxahachie-Texas-75165/BBVA-Compass-Overdraft-Charges-For-Cleared-Items-Waxahachie-Texas-987938. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BBVA Compass

AUTHOR: MrsPruitt - (United States of America)

I am not on here disputing the charge that I went over for.  I didnt plan on going over but I cant help that my child was in the hospital twice and I had to get her three different types of medicine that our insurance doesnt cover. Regardless of the reason of the overdraft, I understand getting a charge for the ONE transaction that went over and I fully expected that.

However, I do not agree with getting the other 2 charges for the things that were also pending but went through with money still left over in my account. Their reason for that is that the items were all pending together and it doesnt matter if they cleared with funds available.  How is that right? 76 dollars for things that were covered with funds still left in the account? Explain that to me please. I do keep a log of my account. I do watch what I spend and spend carefully. But like I stated, I cannot help illness situations which require medicine that does not have a generic option available. I had to get it. So please do not patronize me.

One overdraft fee. Fine, yes, I understand. But 3? For things that were already covered with money still available in my account? no.

You should be very upset...at yourself

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Because all you had to do to avoid even a single Overdraft Fee was to manage your account.  Hopefully this upset feeling you have will cause you to actually take responsibility.

How do you do that..it is really simple.  All you need to do is keep a written register.  Writing down every transaction you make, and then making sure you never attempt to spend more than you have available.  If you don't have a register, you can find many on line.  You can also probably go into your local branch and ask for one.

You also make sure you are not opted-in to the Automatic Overdraft Protection for Debit Cards.   So you need to contact your bank and if you are...you need to opt-out.  What this will do is when you use your Debit Card at a Point of Sale or ATM, if you do not currently have enough available in your account your transaction will be declined.  Of course this may cause you a little embarrassment, but at least you won't get any fees.  Keep in mind that this only covers your Debit Card, for Checks and ACH transactions the bank still maintains the option to either pay or return the item unpaid.

Regardless of how many changes any bank does to their "overdraft" policy, no policy will cause overdraft fees if you never spend(or attempt to spend) more than you currently have available in the account.