- Report: #192393
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: BCTI (Business Computer Training Institute)
BCTI (Business Computer Training Institute)2421 Lancaster Dr. NE Salem, Oregon U.S.A.
BCTI (Business Computer Training Institute) The $30,000.00 question Salem Oregon
*UPDATE Employee: I have a "certificate" of completion
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
My girlfriend and I met while she was in the middle of her Phase II "education" at BCTI, Salem. She had started Phase I a couple of years prior, but had to leave midway due to pregnancy complications. She restarted after the baby was born with a fresh new 10K loan (the previous one had not been discharged).
After completing Phase I, she was contacted by the school and they asked her to return to attend Phase II, which she did, whereby adding another loan to the existing pile, of which she was consistently paying.
The first time I picked her up at school, I was a little shocked to discover that it was actually located in a strip mall. It seemed odd to me that the school had no major capital assets.
A couple of months later, she mentioned that the school was still using Windows 98 o/s. I was alarmed that the school hadn't updated their operating systems to Windows 2000 (by this time it was 2002). I mentioned that it was a little unsettling that a technology school didn't even utilize the most current technology. I then asked her if she would be receiving her MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) or some other industry standard certification (A+, N+, etc.). She said the school promised her that she would receive these certs when she was recruited, but she checked into it.
The next day, two weeks prior to her graduation, she learned that she would receive a "BCTI Certification of Completion". Any additional certs would have to be taken and paid for indpendently.
For anyone who is unaware of what is required for an MCSE (and this is only one of the many different MICROSOFT categories a person can get certification for), there are 5 core tests required and 2 elective tests. Each of these tests cost big $$ (around $150 apiece) JUST TO TAKE THEM and if you fail, you don't get your money back.
She graduated from BCTI in October of 2002. Once she was out the door, she was pretty much forgotten. She had to hound BCTI Career Services for help and the help she got was job leads for minimum wage service jobs. She had several hits from the Oregon Employment Department for lucrative networking jobs for Oregon State University, Linn-Benton Community College and some City of Albany jobs, but she discovered, through the interviewing processes, that she was still vastly underqualified. By December of 2002, she was completely discouraged and filed for deferrment. By 2003, BCTI rumors were flooding the area and she defaulted on her student loans, of which she still owes about half ($15,000).
I don't blame her. If I received that kind of terrible service, I wouldn't pay for it either. Consumers do have rights. Unfortunately, that default will haunt her forever unless she can get them legally discharged. People can NOT file bankruptcy on Federal Student Loans.
After poring through the posts that I've found on this site for a fraudulent misrepresentation report that I'm doing in my Business Law class, I have to say that I am completely stunned and appalled at the ratio of instructor postings that fail so miserably in grammatical standards and overall professionalism.
I'm disgusted at the marketing methods employed by BCTI and terribly saddened by the way the company treated their more qualified and ethical employees.
If anyone reads this who is considering a private trade/business school, please consider the following things prior to putting your name on the dotted line:
1) Capital assets: this means that the school actually has a CAMPUS. Not leased, storefront property in a strip mall or a fly by night Internet document mill.
2) An itemized graduation checklist. Get one and then take it to your local university, community/junior college to check it against their requirements. All businesses will recognize an Associate's, Bachelor's or Master's Degree from a state certified school. Always. Employers might not take a little known private vo/tech school certification seriously.
3) Consider where you were recruited. If it's at a government facility for underprivileged people (like the Department of Human Services office, County Mental Health, etc) or a drug rehab facility take it someone within that office for some consultation. Most DHS offices already work in liason with local community colleges and if you're serious, they can really help you out.
4) Consider the cost. Folks, I'm a dual enrolled student at Linn-Benton Community College and Oregon State University. At a minimum, through my community college, I pay about $1000 a term for my classes and about $400 a term for books. There are 4 available terms each year. This equates to $5600 a year, if you go year round (this means going during the summer). There are generally (6) terms to complete for an Associate's Degree. This equates to roughly $8400 for a bona-fide Associate's Degree. My girlfriend had to pay $10,000 for a single phase. Each phase took about 8 months to complete.
Do the math yourself. The consumer really got ripped off through BCTI.
5) Talk with any Career Guidance center BEFORE enrolling. Ask for a list of companies they work with and CHECK UP ON IT. If they won't provide a list to you, something is being hidden and you should run for the hills.
6) Talk with their Financial Aid department. If the only financial aid that you can get is a student loan, go to another school. There are literally billions of scholarship dollars each year that go uncollected -- your community college can really help you here. Remember -- you have to repay a loan, you don't have to repay a scholarship or grant.
This has gotten very long-winded, but I hope it helps someone in the future. I would hate to see another person have to go through what my girlfriend (and, as a result, myself) has gone through.
Best of luck.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2006 06:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BCTI-Business-Computer-Training-Institute/Salem-Oregon-97305-1220/BCTI-Business-Computer-Training-Institute-The-3000000-question-Salem-Oregon-192393. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.
- Business's (11)
- Lawyers and Law Firms (5312)
- Administrative Law (11)
- Admiralty & Maritime Law (27)
- Agricultural Law (2)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (10)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation (1)
- Appellate Practice (72)
- Aviation & Aerospace (11)
- Banking Law (90)
- Bankruptcy (380)
- Business Law (232)
- Civil Rights (55)
- Class Actions (30)
- Commercial Law (13)
- Communications Law (1)
- Constitutional Law (1)
- Construction Law (83)
- Contracts (7)
- Corporate Law (75)
- Criminal Law (668)
- Debtor & Creditor (51)
- Education Law (14)
- Elder Law (77)
- ElectionCampaign & Political (0)
- Eminent Domain (5)
- Employee Benefits (7)
- Energy (0)
- Entertainment & Sports (17)
- Environmental Law (43)
- Family Law (13)
- Finance (0)
- Government (14)
- Government Contracts (2)
- Health Care (1)
- Immigration (482)
- Indians & Native Populations (1)
- Insurance (90)
- Intellectual Property (526)
- International Law (33)
- International Trade (0)
- Internet Law (7)
- Investments (1)
- Labor & Employment (12)
- Legal Malpractice (92)
- Litigation (20)
- Media Law (1)
- Medical Malpractice (13)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (0)
- Military Law (5)
- Natural Resources (10)
- Occupational Safety & Health (0)
- Personal Injury (842)
- Products Liability (21)
- Professional Liability (0)
- Real Estate (361)
- Securities (169)
- Taxation (142)
- Technology & Science (0)
- Toxic Torts (0)
- Transportation (2)
- Trusts & Estates (368)
- White Collar Crime (1)
- Wills & Probate (7)
- Workers Compensation (242)
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use (10)
- Legal Services (32)
- Arbitrators/Mediators (7)
- Automotive Expert Witnesses (0)
- Bail Bonds (0)
- Court Reporters (1)
- Electronic Data Discovery (1)
- Expert Witnesses (1)
- Forensic Experts (1)
- Jury Selection (0)
- Legal Assistants (8)
- Legal Speakers (2)
- Litigation Support (2)
- Medical Expert Witnesses (1)
- Other (14)
- Paralegal (5)
- Private Investigators (6)
- Process Servers (7)
- Translators/Interpreters (0)
- Miscellaneous Business Services (19)