Complaint Review: B&D Towing & Recovery

7215 So. Obrien St.

Tampa, Florida 33616

813-874-7410

RE:  WORST TOWING EXPERIENCE EVER

I contracted with “Billy”, the “B” in B&D Towing & Recovery, at an auction lot known as COPART, in Riverview, Fl, on or about May 02,, 2013, for the towing of two (2) vehicles; one was a Spartan 40’ motor home and the other was a 1982 Prevost 40’ motor home.After a few days I called because I had not heard from them and I was being charged storage $20.00 a day foreach vehicle at “COPART”. I called Billy, at 813-918-6350 to inquire where my vehicles were and was told he forgot about them but would get right on it. So on Thursday, May 16, 2013, the first vehicle was moved from COPART in Riverview, Fl , to a 3 acre car lot on 66th Street North in Pinellas Park, Fl, for a price of $325. [continued below]....

.....00 per vehicle.

While Billy was en route to the drop point I called him and changed the drop to another storage lot about a half mile from the first address.  This was a smaller lot located at 6945 – 123rd Avenue North, Clearwater, Fl. Once Billy arrived he pulled up, asked where I wanted the vehicle, turned around and backed it in a parking spot with no problem, and I paid him and he left. At this point I never knew Billy was one of the owners.  All was good and he was very nice. Upon leaving, Billy informed me another driver would bring my other vehicle tomorrow because he was off.

The next morning, May 17, 2013, at 8:47 AM, I was contacted by cell phone by a man known as “Robert” from 813-458-2343, and told he was on his way to COPART to pickup my second vehicle.  I spoke several times with Robert while the vehicle was being towed from Riverview to Pinellas Park, Florida and was never made aware of any problems. During my conversation I was made aware that Robert was going to the wrong lot, so that lot being bigger, I and my men went to the lot at 10408-66th Street North, Pinellas Park, Fl.I really didn’t care which lot my vehicle was delivered to.   I just wanted it delivered; being it was almost a week late now.

At about 11:17 AM, while standing out in the street we saw Robert drive right past us. I called Robert and he had to turn around or go around the big block to be on the right side of the street to drop the vehicle. After Robert turned around we saw him coming south on 66th St. N.,  from 118th Avenue North, with the lot being on the same side.  While my men stopped traffic I motioned him toward the middle of the 3 lane road which he didn’t do. Robert pulled to the curb about 500 feet short of the driveway. Upon my approaching the wrecker, Robert rolled down his driver’s window and made the statement “I have F***n had it with this vehicle”.   Upon my asking “what”, he again stated  “this vehicle is not going in that driveway”    He stated he wanted to just drop the vehicle in the middle of 66thStreet North, which meant I had to get another wrecker to get it off the street. I asked him to wait while I called the number on the wrecker to see why he was in such a bad mood and acting unreasonable.  While I was dialing the office number Robert rolled up his window, put the wrecker in drive, and drove away with my vehicle. From the time Robert stopped at the lot on 66th Street he was only there about two (2) minutes or less before he rolled up his driver’s window and drove off. Never once did or was he willing to get out and look the lot over or discuss another spot. This was at 11:27 AM.

At 11:28, I called the number posted on the wrecker’s door and spoke with a person known to me as Dennis.    I found out later that Dennis was the “D” in B&D Towing and Recovery, at 813-874-7410. Dennis started off very rude and said he had spoken to the driver and was towing my vehicle back to Tampa, and it would be impounded and I would pay a lot to get it back.

At 11:35 AM, I called Dennis again and requested the driver return or I was going to call the police which at that time he just laughed and hung up on me.

At 11:36 Am I called Pinellas Park Police to report what had happened. Police arrived about 11:47 AM. After a discussion with the police officer, the driver returned with my vehicle and I was left with two (2) choices: to have it dropped in the street or on a side street north of the lot I wanted. I asked the officer if he can drop it on a side street why can’t he drop it in the lot I wanted, just to get no answer from the officer. I told him I wanted it in the lot I paid for and not in the street or sidestreet. At this point the officer refused to make a report or take any action. At this point the driver and officer both left the location.

At this point I attempted to contact Dennis at D&B Towing & Recovery, at 813-874-7410, and it took some eleven (11) calls to get a hold of him because he kept hanging up on me. (Not what I would call a good business man)

At 12:30 PM, I received a call from the Police officer and was told not to call the towing company again or I would go to jail. When I asked what to do the officer said “get an attorney”.

I called Pinellas Park Police and informed them of what had taken place and they switched me to the officer’s voice mail to leave a message to have him contact me about calling the towing company. I was informed by the desk officer at the Pinellas Park Police and was told they see no reason why I can’t call to get my vehicle. I waited three (3) days and never received a call back from the officer that came out.

As of May 24th, 2013, I had received no call about my vehicle from anyone.On May 25, 2013, I called the number I had for Billy and was informed that even though he is a half owner he feels bad but Dennis is controlling the issue and there is nothing he can do for me.

On May 25, 2013, Billy called me back and informed me where the vehicle was and to retrieve it would take $1,270.00, plus $55.00 a day past May 26, 2013.

IN CLOSING:

The driver never got out of his truck to even look where the vehicle was to go, prior to saying it was not going there. I was never even able, prior to the driver leaving, to mention the second lot or another place besides the driver leaving it on the street.

This is a very bad way to do business.     Now they have my vehicle and they say I can’t get it back without paying them what they want to release it.

I have spoken with Billy and Robert several times and they refuse to even give me a bill for charges unless now I give them over $2,000.00 dollars in cash prior to them doing anything and that means they would have $2,000.00 plus of my cash and may not give me my vehicle and then I still have to pay someone to bring it to my lot.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2013 09:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BD-Towing-Recovery/Tampa-Florida-33616/BD-Towing-Recovery-Dennis-Creech-WORST-Towing-experience-ever-Tampa-Florida-1057875. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on B&D Towing & Recovery

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

The Whole Story

AUTHOR: Tony - ()

Allen;

In reading your report I can't help but notice you have not given all the facts, and were less than honest with your statements. So I will attempt to set the record straight.

First when you contacted us for the towing of the two coaches you were given a quote to move them. You did not commit to having them move until a couple of days later. At that time information was given to us on where the coaches were and a delivery address. The price was confirmed.

The first coach was delivered to the address you provided. This lot was small but had a lot more storage area than the second lot you spoke of.

The second coach was picked up and on the way when you changed the delivery address. Since the second address was close to the first our driver “Robert " had no reason to believe there would any problem. He also felt there would be no need to increase the rate because of the close proximity of the second lot.

When Robert arrived at the second lot he did drive by. On this we agree. Having no safe place to stop he went around a very large block. When he came back he did indeed pull up close to the curb and not into the middle of the road as you and your men wanted. As I'm sure everyone can see from your photo a 40' Prevost coach attached to a heavy wrecker is not something you just park in the middle of the road.

When you showed Robert where you wanted the coach to be parked, he informed you it wasn't possible. It would require him to block 6 lanes of a very busy road and, the space was too small. At this point you called the Pinellas Park P.D. who came out and informed you they would not shut down the road. At this point you became angry and told Robert if he didn't drop it where you wanted you would not pay him. The police officer suggested dropping it in the grass beside the road but, you would not agree to that. The officer told Robert since there was no solution and you had refused to pay he should impound the coach. This was done and the coach was listed with H.C.S.O. as an impound for failure to pay.

B&D Towing has a long history of great service at a fair price. It is our opinion that your failure to make sure there was enough room and, a clear path to drop the coach caused this problem.