Complaint Review: BED IN A BOX

• Updated: Tue, October 02, 2012

• Reported By: Bev — Louisville Kentucky United States of America
BED IN A BOX

BED IN A BOX off gassing problem, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Bed in a box - No toxic odors, good company/product after all.

I purchased two twin size mattresses from Bed in a Box mainly because their site said no toxic off gassing. As soon as I opened the box the smell was horrible and the smell got into the whole house via the intake vent of the furnace.  We had to open all windows and doors and turned on two large box fans to blow on the mattresses.

We slept in recliners for two nights and then I put three quilted mattress pads on each one so we could get some sleep in the bed. The smell was still really strong and our throats were sore and noses were bleeding from the off gassing.

I called the company and the guy I talked to in customer service said "Oh my, I have one of the mattresses and I didn't have any odor at all.." He said he quessed some people are more sensitive than others..He intimated that this was not a regular complaint..

I have now invested in zippered waterproofed anti allergy mattress covers ($35 each) and it has helped some. I have had the beds for three weeks now and I can't wait for my 60 days to be up so I can return them. I have had to return memory foam mattresses from two other companies for the off gassing problem and I would not have bought these except for the fact that they said their's didn't have off gassing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/11/2012 11:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BED-IN-A-BOX/internet/BED-IN-A-BOX-off-gassing-problem-Internet-867033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BED IN A BOX

Bed in a box - No toxic odors, good company/product after all.

AUTHOR: Itsdarock - (United States of America)

I found this review while researching a mattress for my wife and I. This review stood out to me and I wanted to post my experience which will hopefully be helpful. Yes, after reading about such a bad experience, my wife and I bought from bedinabox. Why? Because  I read their mostly very positive reviews online, and I found this complaint against what seems to be an overall good company. We had seen a lot more complaints on memory foam mattresses from other companies and there were not many for these guys. We thought the worst case scenario would be we would have to return it.

We bought a queen size in the cheapest model they had. We didn't really know what to expect. We got it in a couple day, set the bed up and checked for a smell first thing. We did notice a smell to the mattress, but everything new has a smell about it. It wasn't so bad, we just noticed it, that's all. We put the recommended protective cover on and tried it out. I loved it, my wife didn't. So we waited 2 months trying it out before deciding to return it.

She called the company and they sent a bag to put the mattress in, and scheduled someone to pick it up. Within a few days of returning it, we got our refund. The cover was non returnable (which we were aware of ahead of time), so we ended up using it on the mattress we bought from another company which coincidentally had a stronger smell, but my wife loved it. I'm sorry to hear about this persons ordeal and I hope they did receive a refund on the mattress. After dealing with this company I can say, from our experience, they did right by us.