Complaint Review: BEST BUY

• Submitted: Mon, November 09, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, November 10, 2009

• Reported By: Thomas — Falls Church Virginia USA
BEST BUY
5799 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia 22041 Internet United States of America

BEST BUY Front end manager stole my $25 gift card and called police to ask me to leave Internet

*Author of original report: Letter sent to Mr. Smith, General Manager of Best Buy store

*Author of original report: The link was sent to the store manager

*Consumer Comment: The other side

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: That's odd.

*Author of original report: BEST BUY (Falls Church, Virginia) Front end manager stole my $25 gift card and called police to ask me to leave

Best Buy ran a weekly promotion "Buy $25 iTunes card and $25 Best Buy gift card, you will get $10 Best Buy gift card for FREE". So I decided to buy some iTunes card for Christmas gifts and also for my business. I need about $3000 to $5000 iTunes card monthly for my business. I have purchased them at Costco, Kmart, Toy R us, Walmart, RadioShack, FYE and of course Best Buy wherever has the best price and discount.

I went to Best Buy in Springfield VA to buy 5 x ($25 iTunes card and $25 Best Buy gift card) and paid $250 by my credit card. I needed more iTunes card and I wanted to spend my Best Buy gift cards I got (5 x $25 and 5 x $10).

So I went to another Best Buy store in Pentagon city, Arlington VA to buy the same set. I paid $175 by Best Buy gift cards and $75 by my credit card. The clerk did ask me where I got these Best Buy gift cards and I told them the truth. Both the clerk and the manager stopped by and said they had no problem doing that. The reason I did not want to buy the same set at the same store is because it takes quite a time (around 10 minutes at least) to finish a transaction. You had to load 15 gift cards (5 iTunes and 10 Best Buy), scratch the PIN of the gift cards I used to pay, waiting for activation from Apple iTunes. I didn't want the clear there get mad. So I think just stopped by another store is better since it is on the way to my home anyway

I got to the next store at Bailey Crossroads, Falls Church, VA. (5799 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22041, (703) 671-0184). After the clerk loaded the transaction, I gave my first $25 gift card to her to pay for it. It worked fine and the clerk throwed it to the trash bin. When I gave her a second one $25 gift card (I have total 5 x $25 and 5 x $10 gift cards from my previous purchase), she felt uncomfortable and asked for a manager. A front end lady manager came. Her name is Nadia or something similar. She asked me where I got the cards and I told her the same thing that I got it from my previous purchase. She asked for receipt and I told her it is in my car. So she went to a register for a while and came back telling me that since I already bought at other stores, she did not allow me to buy here. I said it's fine and demanded my $25 gift card back. She picked up from the trash bin and refused giving it to me claiming I was committing fraud. She said all transactions would be canceled and she did not give me back my $25 card which I paid and had receipt.

Then she asked me to leave and I told I would not until you gave back my $25 gift card. She called 911 and 3 officers came. The officer took their side of story and I told mine. The officer demanded my car key and went to get the receipts and cards I got from my previous purchase. They checked for a while and talked to the manager. Then they told me that the store did not want to charge me on anything and I did not commit fraud or anything. However the officers told me that BestBuy has the right to ask me to leave. I agreed on that but I told them I wanted my $25 gift card back. The officers told me it is a civil matter and I could hire a lawyer to sue the front end manager for my $25 gift card that she still kept in her hand but I have to leave now. I am shocked !!! Finally the manager asked the police to ask me sign on a paper that stated I could not come to that Best Buy store in the future. I will not come to any BestBuy store in the future and will donate my rest Best Buy gift cards.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/09/2009 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BEST-BUY/internet/BEST-BUY-Front-end-manager-stole-my-25-gift-card-and-called-police-to-ask-me-to-leave-Int-521472. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BEST BUY

Letter sent to Mr. Smith, General Manager of Best Buy store

"
Dear Mr. Smith

I happened to be involved in an unpleasant incident at your store. I posted the incident detail on the website Ripoff report at the link
I would like to have your input on it

Regards,
Thomas
"

The link was sent to the store manager

AUTHOR: - (USA)

I also would like to hear from the store manager on what he thinks about this.

OP

The other side

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

There is usually another side to these kinds of stories.  I'd love to hear it.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

That's odd.

AUTHOR: Blahsblah2001 - (U.S.A.)

Wow, that lady must be crazy. I used to live near a store that would offer 'gas perks' if you purchased gift cards from them. We had people come in and pay for $1000- 2000 worth of stuff with gift cards.

I don't know what the cops were talking about but when someone picks up your personal property and refuses to return it to you, that is NOT a civil matter, it's THEFT.

First off, I would go in when there was a separate manager on duty, recap the story, use her name, and ask for your card to be returned. If they don't tell them to keep the security footage because you're pressing charges. I'd do it too. There's nothing wrong with paying with gift cards.

AUTHOR: - (USA)

and also for my business. I need about $3000 to $5000 iTunes card monthly for my business. I have purchased them at Costco, Kmart, Toy R us, Walmart, RadioShack, FYE and of course Best Buy wherever has the best price and discount. I went to Best Buy in Springfield VA to buy 5 x ($25 iTunes card and $25 Best Buy gift card ) and paid $250 by my credit card. I needed more iTunes card and I wanted to spend my Best Buy gift cards I got (5 x $25 and 5 x $10). So I went to another Best Buy store in Pentagon city, Arlington VA to buy the same set. I paid $175 by Best Buy gift cards and $75 by my credit card . The clerk did ask me where I got these Best Buy gift cards and I told them the truth. Both the clerk and the manager stopped by and said they had no problem doing that. The reason I did not want to buy the same set at the same store is because it takes quite a time (around 10 minutes at least) to finish a transaction. You had to load 15 gift cards (5 iTunes and 10 Best Buy), scratch the PIN of the gift cards I used to pay, waiting for activation from Apple iTunes. I didn't want the clerk there get mad. So I think just stopped by another store is better since it is on the way to my home anyway I got to the next store at Bailey Crossroads, Falls Church, VA. (5799 Leesburg Pike , Falls Church , VA 22041, (703) 671-0184). After the clerk loaded the transaction, I gave my first $25 gift card to her to pay for it. It worked fine and the clerk throwed it to the trash bin. When I gave her a second one $25 gift card (I have total 5 x $25 and 5 x $10 gift cards from my previous purchase), she felt uncomfortable and asked for a manager. A front end lady manager came. Her name is Nadia or something similar. She asked me where I got the cards and I told her the same thing that I got it from my previous purchase. She asked for receipt and I told her it is in my car. So she went to a register for a while and came back telling me that since I already bought at other stores, she did not allow me to buy here. I said it's fine and demanded my $25 gift card back. She picked up from the trash bin and refused giving it to me claiming I was committing fraud. She said all transactions would be canceled and she did not give me back my $25 card which I paid and had receipt. Then she asked me to leave and I told I would not until you gave back my $25 gift card. She called 911 and 3 officers came. The officer took their side of story and I told mine. The officer demanded my car key
. For data point, I am a Premier Reward Zone member until the end of 2011. I spent at least $3000 on Best Buy this year already.

Report Photos: