Complaint Review: BEST BY

• Submitted: Sun, August 14, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, August 15, 2011

• Reported By: Colleen — Monroe New York U.S.A.
BEST BY
128 Bailey Farm road Monroe, New York United States of America

BEST BY UNADVERTISED FEES FOR LAPTOPS - SCAM Monroe, New York

*Author of original report: BEST BUY unadvertised fees for laptops - SCAM

*Consumer Comment: Yeah

*Consumer Comment: I also couldn't find any HD computers anywhere.

*Consumer Comment: Who the heck is..

I went into best buy store at bailey road, monroe, ny today to purchase the HD laptop (2000-219dx sku: 2660188).  The listed price both in the circular and at the store said $299.99.  After spending 30 minutes comparing various low priced laptops, I decided upon the HD brand.  I went to pay for the computer and was told that there  was an additional $70 installation charge for the set up.  I explained that I was uninterested in setup because, we have purchased numerous laptops and self installed the setup/software. Tthe clerk indicated that if I could find one that wasn't set up, I could have it.  Well, as you could imagine, there was none.  It seemed most low priced computers seemed to be "pre-set up" thus causing one to pay an additional 70.  I requested that based on my long term relationship with best buy and the fact that you did not advertise this additional fee, could you please waive the $70 fee.  She checked with the mgr. who stated that they could reduce it to half or they could order it and have it shipped to store.  I insisted that I spent over 1/2 hour price comparing and am a loyal customer, I really feel it should be waived.

I feel this is an example of misrepresentation and price switch and bait by not publicly displaying the $70 set up fee in either the circular or anywhere near the computer display.  I said it is unethical to wait until a customer is about to purchase the computer and hit them with this fee.  It is also unethical not to have any computers available without the setup. I am extremely disappointed by their unfair business practices.

It seems that all their low cost laptops that are immediately available have been "pre-set up".  I didn't have to ride into the store and waste my time to purchase the "advertised computer".  I could have ordered it directly online.  This is a misrepresentation of the both the circular price and the price advertised on the display case where the computer is.  I intend to follow through with BBB and NYS Atty General Office.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2011 12:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BEST-BY/Monroe-New-York-10950/BEST-BY-UNADVERTISED-FEES-FOR-LAPTOPS-SCAM-Monroe-New-York-765046. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BEST BY

BEST BUY unadvertised fees for laptops - SCAM

AUTHOR: Colleen - (U.S.A.)

My apologies, correct name of the store is BEST BUY in Monroe, NY.

Yeah

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Make sure to spell it right next time, so it will get better web recognition.

BEST BUY BEST BUY BEST BUY BEST BUY BEST BUY

Easy.

SCUMBAGS!

I also couldn't find any HD computers anywhere.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Are you sure this is the right brand?   No wonder they thought you couldn't handle it, it's an unknown brand.

Who the heck is..

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Best By?

Hope the BBB and NYS attorney general can figure it out.