Complaint Review: BFA Inc, HMI Ind., Filter Queen

• Submitted: Mon, July 27, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, March 30, 2011

• Reported By:Romulus Michigan
BFA Inc, HMI Ind., Filter Queen
13325 Darice Pkwy., Unit A Strongsville, OH 44149 OH Taylor And Surrounding Downriver Areas, Michigan U.S.A.
  • Phone: 440-846-7800
  • Web:
  • Category: Employers

BFA Inc, HMI Ind.BFA Inc, HMI Ind.BFA Inc, HMI Ind., Filter Queen Marketing SCAM Taylor And Surrounding Downriver Areas Michigan

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Same thing here

*Consumer Comment: Similar Company

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Who is kidding who Sarah?

*Consumer Comment: Filter Queen

* : im confussed

Okay I found this job in the newspaper for a customer service position for pollution control that pays $14.95 an hour and I'm thinking great what a job! SO I call the listed number and set up an interview (12 noon which was weird/red flag #1). The lady does not give me ANY information except dress professional and be on time (red flag #2).

I go to the interview and dress professional and was on time however, when I get there the secretary hands me an application and directs me down the hall to a different room. The room was FULL of people (red flag #3) there must have been at least 20 not including myself. After I sat down and completed the form Doug entered the room and introduced himself and apologized for having to have a "group interview" (red flag #4).

He was very professional and spoke clearly but fast and had a spunk personality. He goes on to tell us about the company (through a projection on the wall)(to me it seemed like he had it planned out to have a group interview as it seemed that the projection sheets had been used numerous times [red flag #5]) and what a wonderful job it is and how we will be making $14.95 and hour plus an additional $5 per stop for gas which equals (rounded) $20 per hour. So I think to myself how awesome is that, plus for each product you sell you make an additional commission of $100. AND that yo could take a vacation whenever you wanted!

Then he goes on to tell us that there are several positions that he is hiring for but only 8-10 people will be selected (red flag #6). Again he tells us what a great product it is and he is hiring managers, customer service people and sales positions. BUT he NEVER tells us about each job individually just about the SALES position (red flag #7). Even though I went to BFA Inc, for the interview that the name of the company is HMI Industries Inc and that we could all Google it to find out more about the company

After the "group interview" was finished (which only took 20-30 more like a presentation) he had told all of us to call in between 1:10pm an 1:40pm to see if our application went through (red flag #8).

So I called at around 1:15pm and the secretary said good luck and transferred me to Doug and I spoke with him briefly stating that I was there at the interview at 12 noon and I was calling to check up on my application. He says "I have some great news! Your application has been accepted! Your training is tomorrow and it will be 3 days long."

SO I got excited because I am in desperate need of employment....but I was a little curious because it seemed a little too good to be true so I did only what DOUG suggested.....I Googled HMI Industries and YES I did find the company and YES I did learn more about the company and what they do and YES I did however find them on RIP OFF REPORT!

SO in the end I was saved by this website even though everyone's stories varied on how they got scammed but I am glad that I am one of the smart ones that LISTENED TO DOUG so he lost out on scamming at least one that had their application "accepted"!

Skhalaf2007
Romulus, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2009 11:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BFA-Inc-HMI-Ind-Filter-Queen/Taylor-And-Surrounding-Downriver-Areas-Michigan-48180/BFA-Inc-HMI-IndBFA-Inc-HMI-IndBFA-Inc-HMI-Ind-Filter-Queen-Marketing-SCAM-Taylor-An-473752. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BFA Inc, HMI Ind., Filter Queen

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Same thing here

AUTHOR: bill - ()

I worked for this company for about 8 months back in 1999. I had the same experience of the group interview.  In the 8 months I worked there I sold 45 of these vacuum cleaners and made just over $2,000. The owner would pay at the time $150 for a first line credit sale or someone with good credit and $50 for second line or people with bad credit. I never made more than $200 a week and many weeks made nothing despite doing 10-12 presentations a week.  We only received the 14.95  if we did over 15 presentations a week which was almost impossible despite the owner (who was black) telling us to target the poorer areas of detroit because they were more gullible.

We were told to not target any areas in suburbs and would be criticized of our dedication if we weren't driving to detroit twice a day to put flyers on doors. I was shot at once when I was sent to a particularly rough area of detroit. When I came back and expressed concern of my safety I was basically called a coward and told that in order to be successful I would need to take risks.  I was at one point brought in and told I was being considered for a "promotion" but depite my hard work I never saw it come to fruition and it was just a ploy to keep me from quitting.

At the tme we were selling these vacuums for $2000.  With the help of another employee that they made a "leader" we discovered that the owner was purchasing the product for $ 300 (which was another thing, anytime the owner was asked how much they cost the reply would be you will find out when you own your own store).  Meaning on a first line he was making minimum $1500 on a sale and $750 on second line yet the sales person would get the $150 or $50. this was the worst experience of my life and Doug....I know how you loved to put down hourly paid jobs but guess what? I made more in 3 months being paid hourly than I did busting my a** for 8 months here.

And trust me I busted my a**. I was in at 9 am and leaving at 7:30-8 pm or later everyday monday-friday and Saturday I was there from 10-4 or later. I think at one point I was making like 33 cents an hour.  At an hourly job I may be limited to how much I make but at least I get paid for the work I do. I drive by the building every now and then and see the company is gone but I always wonder if it was finally exposed or if the area dried up and he had to move the company.  Just looked up doug on facebook and see that bfa is now in Kentucky.  Feel bad for them

Similar Company

AUTHOR: Watchtower - (United States of America)

I just had my first day of training with almost the exact same experience called cutting edge technology based out of lansing.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Who is kidding who Sarah?

AUTHOR: Tim - (USA)

Selling overpriced vacuum cleaners in the state that has a the highest unemployment rate in the country?  If your going to be real successful in business, go to a state where people have money and then you won't have to be slammed for your business practices.  I'd say with two pages worth of complaints from employees (oops independent contractors) as well as customers from this site.  Maybe Sarah someday somebody might just visit your business with a hidden camera on to see how things work and maybe then that will be the end of Filterqueen's business practices.  If it's such a good product, they can sell plenty of them at Walmart at a more reasonable price.  I'd like to see one next to a Dysan.

Filter Queen

AUTHOR: lakns311 - (USA)

I did the same thing after seeing an ad in the paper for a position working in pollution control.  I called the number and received the same exact response as described and the interview set up for noon.  After doing some research I came to find out that this company is associated with Filter Queen which from my understanding nothing more than another pyramid scheme.  Thank you for saving me time and money next week as I would have been livid had I shown up to find out they want you to sell vacuum cleaners.  Pollution Control has nothing to do with vacuum cleaners so instead of lying to consumers they should change the ad to a sales position or something more related.  I have actually gone through interviews with similar companies to find out all they do is use you.  The initial red flag that made me wonder was that this ad has been in the paper weeks in a row.  Companies like these are just the result of capitalism.

#5

im confussed

AUTHOR: bfa inc - (USA)

this is for Sara, yes I know who you are, I don't under stand your problem. You came to an interview got hired for the job and never pursued it. I have been doing this for 27 years and have hired and trained many successful people. I nornaly do personal interviews thats why the overheads look so beat up I don't use them that much. I don't know what would stop you from comming in for the job maybe you should stop listening to others. I think your life would be better if you didn't waist your time on these reports that don't tell you the whole story. maybe thats why you can't find a job. Have a open mind and the rest will follow.