Complaint Review: BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO

• Submitted: Tue, March 02, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, May 21, 2010

• Reported By: Anonymous — Cincinnati Ohio U.S.A.
BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO

BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO Crooks, Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Remove credit card information from account....

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I was an ASM

*UPDATE Employee: Customer Service FTW.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: NUGGETS customer service skills strike again!

*UPDATE Employee: Actually...

This morning I found unauthorized charges in my checking account from my local Blockbuster Video Store.  After a long call to the manager of the store, I found out it was a restocking fee for a video that they say was returned late (I dispute that, as well) over a month ago.  When I asked if it was a normal policy for them to just charged my checking account without notice when they decided it was time I pay up, I was told it was corporate policy.

The restocking fee was only $2.12, and thank god I have enough money in there to not worry about bouncing anything, but its just the principal of the matter.  I don't think its fair or even legal for them to just take what they want from me with no notice just because they can.  What if I was poor or it was the day before pay day and I lived pay check to pay check?  This unauthorized invasion into my checking account could have cost me big bucks in bounced check fees from the bank, if I was in more dire circumstances.

Needless to say, I have written a long letter to corporate berating them for being crooked, have closed my account and will no longer do business with them.  If you ask me, a suit should be filed against this fraudulent behavior.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2010 12:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BLOCKBUSTER-VIDEO/internet/BLOCKBUSTER-VIDEO-Crooks-Internet-576771. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO

Remove credit card information from account....

AUTHOR: BB Employee - (United States of America)

I understand perfectly how you feel. I does feel a little like "unauthorized"
 charges. The detail is in the fine print. The 3 page long reciept you receive after every transaction has the current terms and conditions for your rental. I have had several customers love the new policy. They have said "it's about time" They don't want a $2.00 balance hanging over their head. They would rather we just charge it and be done with it.

With that said, there are things you can do. Go to the store and request your credit card be removed from your account. I have personally done this to prevent accidental overdrafts on my own account. I AM one of those people that live paycheck to paycheck. I make a little over $7.00 an hour and can't afford a $2.00 fee. So I get it. There is no reason to have your credit card on file other than to secure it for game rentals. We have customers who give cash deposits for game rentals and get their money back upon game return.

If customers are unhappy with this policy Blockbuster needs to know. In the future I would like the automatic charge to be an option.

Current BB employee ( Houston TX )

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I was an ASM

AUTHOR: gypsyrose - (United States of America)

Ok, well first, the previous person that responded was partially correct, but what they failed to tell you was how they secured the card. It depends on how high their debt rises how hard they push to secure your card.
  When we had numerous balances on accounts, we were told to secure every card given to us...you know...like...if your card wouldn't swipe, that helpful person on the other side of the counter would enter it for you. When I left my store we were only required to secure accounts with games. When they changed the policy we were not even informed. We had people complaining that they were being charged. Three weeks after they started doing this the informed us that we would be charging every account with any balance that was on the account for 30 days.

Blockbuster will tell us to notify the customer and at the same time they will tell you to secure any card you give to us, and no, you are not always told. My store was told to stop informing the customer of the changes 5 days after we were aware it was happening, and to just tell the customer they were suppose to read the receipt.

That is why the staffing is so divided. We have policies set in place that says not to do it, but then we are told to do it from someone in higher authority that we depend on them for knowledge because it wouldn't other wise be communicated AT ALL, considering when policy changes...we depend on them for that info. Since we never get it, we go by our superior. Then after we did what we were told to do, we are told by the same person who said to do it...not to do it, and they never told us to do it, and if we are caught doing it will cost us our job.

Are you seeing the issue here. I can give you many more nasty practices that these poor people working for this company deal with.

As for your charges, they could have removed them, but who ever you spoke to choose not to, and that would be because Blockbuster stated there was to be NO CREDIT issued with the new late fees. Lets say Blockbuster was in the wrong, my manager would respond with....we have no way of knowing when they returned them. My personal action was to issue the credit. It has nothing to do with they couldn't do it, it is that they wouldn't do it, or were told not to do it (which you can sustain a write up for doing this and be terminated from your job).

Customer Service FTW.

AUTHOR: Nuggets - (U.S.A.)

I'm pretty sure you don't know the job better than me. Unless you're an SM, DM, or anyone above.

Please, explain how your post is relevant. Perhaps then someone may care. This is actually one of my less to the point posts than the others I have.

I post here to let people know, bluntly, how they're wrong...if they're wrong. Or if they're just being babies.

The first post of this ripoff says, "unauthorized charges." They weren't. As per the customer's agreement with the company when they signed up for the account. You may be an ex employee, but right or wrong. You're a waste.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

NUGGETS customer service skills strike again!

AUTHOR: shift manager@blockbuster - (United States of America)

Guess who this is nuggets? The guy that knows your job better than you do! Your a sorry excuse for an employee. You don't even care about your customers. I'm so glad Blockbuster lost over $435 million for the last quarter. Freshen your resume up, not long now.

Actually...

AUTHOR: Nuggets - (U.S.A.)

I know as of 3/1/10, a notice was put in the stores that BBV is not responsible for any overdraft fees accrued on any customer account. Why? On 3/1/10, all accounts for blockbuster, nationwide, were automatically charged and rightly so.

I'm guessing that depending on the area you live in, 2.12 was for a game if it was before 3/1/10. I'm sure if you want to dispute the item being late, you could call back that store and ask them to check the date/time of the rental you supposedly returned on time. If the check in time and check out time are the exact same, then it was rented out to someone else after being found on the shelf (unless it was grabbed directly from the drop box, so there's no way to confirm this).

Blockbuster also states on any receipts, member applications, etc. that they may change their terms at any time. I.e. If you have a balance, we can charge the card on file. And please, if it's 2.12$, quit yer bitchin'. Personally, I feel that if you are worried about two bucks, you shouldn't be renting a movie, or, if you do, then return it on time ;)

Oh and a balance of 2.12. You must be in the new jersey area. And I think I know where.