Complaint Review: BMW CCA Roadside Assistance

• Submitted: Fri, August 12, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, September 16, 2011

• Reported By: BocaBimmer — Boca Raton Florida United States of America
BMW CCA Roadside Assistance

BMW CCA Roadside Assistance Battery jump start & towing - cannot be done on the same service call !!! Internet

*General Comment: THIS IS FALSE

*Consumer Comment: Rebuttal sounds reasonable

*Consumer Suggestion: multiple assists in one PO

I recently called BMW Roadside Assistance for the 2nd time in 11 months, this time for a jump start on my BMW 850.  When the flatbed driver was unable to start my car, I said, Lets tow it to my mechanics garage 4 miles away.  He told me that even though my Premium Membership plan included 5 service calls a year, I would have to wait 72 hours to place another call and request that the car be towed.

WHAT?!  Let me get this straight:  youre standing here with a flatbed wrecker right beside my car - telling me that I have to wait 3 days before I can call BMW Roadside Assistance to come back out and tow my car 4  miles to my mechanic?!  Thats right, he said, they will not authorize a P.O. number for 2 service calls within 72 hours, and attempting to jump starting your car even though we were unsuccessful - is considered a service call.

Fore-warned is fore-armed. I purchased BMWs Premium Membership for roadside assistance because I love my 850 and I like to support the brand; in 2 weeks when my membership expires I will purchase another roadside assistance program because Im smarter than allowing myself to get ripped off a second time.  Fool me once, shame on you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/12/2011 10:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BMW-CCA-Roadside-Assistance/internet/BMW-CCA-Roadside-Assistance-Battery-jump-start-towing-cannot-be-done-on-the-same-serv-764295. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BMW CCA Roadside Assistance

#1 General Comment

THIS IS FALSE

AUTHOR: towtruckjake - (USA)

THIS FALSE ITS UP TO THE TOW COMPANY, THEY MIGHT BE TO LAZY TO CALL AND GET A NEW PO FOR THE SERVICE OR THE FACT THAT THEY MIGHT ONLY GET PAID FOR ONE OF THE SERVICES UNLESS THEY CALLED OUT. HOW DO I KNOW THIS I WAS A TOW TRUCK OPERATOR  FOR 14 YEARS. I KNOW THE IN'S AND OUT'S OF THE BIZ I'VE DRIVEN WHEEL LIFTS ROLL BACK AND 45 TON , 60TON  HEAVY DUTY UNDER LIFT WRECKERS.

Rebuttal sounds reasonable

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

And thanks for the tip. It never occurred to me to maintain 2 roadside assistance memberships for such a contingency.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

multiple assists in one PO

AUTHOR: FETCH - (United States of America)

As an owner of a Roadside Assist Service for Motorcycles ....we are often asked if we can jumpstart a bike, even though we were dispatched as a tow for the customer.  YES we can.

BECAUSE: If we are dispatched for a tow, we are well paid for the tow, (which can sometime take 2 hours to complete).  My company does not charge extra for a jumpstart (which takes just a few minutes) since we are already there, and if it works, we are available faster for the next call.  If the jumpstart does not work, we are already paid for the tow by Roadside and we were already aware of the towing time needed to complete this call.  No extra time, fuel or wages than when first dispatched.

But if we are dispatched for a jump start and that does not work, we will be required by the Roadside Assist Program to get authorization from dispatch to tow the vehicle for the extra time & expense to complete the call or charge the customer for the additional expenses.

BECAUSE:
  "Jump starts" pay a dispatch fee, a jump start fee and maybe the enroute mileage to the vehicle in question.   It takes additional time to load your vehicle onto the tow truck  and drive to your mechanic, as well as additional fuel for the tow service miles, which was not included in the jumpstart dispatch.

This could take an extra 30 minutes before we go that 4 miles, time away from another call we may already have been dispatched.

Would you have asked the Tow Service or the driver to do this for free or are you willing to pay out of your pocket the additional expenses which could be up to $75 for a 4 mile tow?

My solutions to this delimna are:

1) Always request a tow, just in case one will be needed.
2) Have more than one roadside assistance program in place NOW so when this happens to you, you have other options.  Roadside Assist is offered by your insurance co ($12-17 a year), AARP,  GoodSam, your Owners Group, AAA (must have RV package for your motorcycle coverage), and in your cell phone service (fee for AT&T is $3 a month and does not cover motorcycles)
3) Offer to pay the Tow Co out of your pocket, so another Roadside PO will not be needed.
4) Carry jumper cables in your vehicle so someone near you can jumpstart without using your Roadside Assist