Complaint Review: BOSE

• Updated: Tue, August 28, 2007

• Reported By:Boston Other
BOSE
bose.com Internet U.S.A.

BOSE A number of BOSE sales reps told me OK to buy in US and bring to Europe Wrentham Also Boston Internet

*Consumer Comment: Most (all) of Europe is 50 Hz 240V; the USA is 60 Hz 120 V

Bose charge premuim prices and claim to offer a premium service. I sent the below mail in over a week ago and have had no response - nothing what so ever. Not even a sorry we cannot help you, blah blah blah..... There is an automated email that says you will have a response within 2 days but like I said this was over a week ago and I resent again after 3 days. I am a customer services manager and I have to say if any of my customers were left hanging like this I would be mad as hell.

Anyway I hope this might help someone who is considering doing the same (Buying a US domestic model for use in Europe). Please don't be misled by the sales people I spoke to about 4 different ones ( in 2 different Bose Stores) who claimed that a step down transformer would have me up and running but then was told by Bose in Ireland that this would never have worked & voids the warranty.

If someone from Bose ever gets this: something on the box about this product not working in Europe even with a step down transformer would be nice, unless you are happy for your sales people to be either ill informed or just sell no matter what. For the prices you guys charge your service is a disgrace. I read on your website that you reinvest all your profits back into the technology - maybe some investment in service would not go amiss either!

Gary

< Hi Barry,
< I am extremely frustrated at the moment as I contacted Bose in Ireland and spoke with Pauline Wakely who was very friendly & helpfull and asked me to send in details which I did on Tuesday. When I called back today I was told I was supposed to be contacted by a UK manager but was not. But the update was that I had voided the warranty by using a step down transformer and that this would never have worked anyway. Now I am sorry but this is just unbelievable!!

I bought this unit after the sales person in Wrentham (I believe his name was Laurence, older man of about 50) that a lot of customers from Germany, UK and Ireland where buying because
< a. It was not out yet in Europe (Probably be 3 Months)
< b. It would cost twice the price
< c. It came with Worldwide support
< d. All I would have to do is buy a step down transformer and it would work like it supposedly had for many other customers.
< The nice lady suggested that I bring it back to the store where I bought it but this is a little difficult as I won't be back in the US for 2 years.
< I always say to my wife that it is worth paying that little bit extra for the quality and support that comes with a quality product. I know the unit is a quality product because I heard it in the store but now I really need the support.
< Thanks in advance for your help.
< Regards,
< Gary
< Subject: RE: Automotive Sound
< Date: 14 Aug 2007 09:58:19 -0400
< Content-Type: text/plain
< Dear Mr. Stewart,
Thank you for your reply.
< I took a look at the transformer on Maplin's website. It should work (although it barely meets the requirements). I think you may have a problem with the system if you are not getting any audio. You'll have to contact one of the following for service:
< BOSE
< Website: http://www.bose.ie
< Bose
< P.O. Box 72
< Exeter, EX1 1ZG, United Kingdom
< Tel-1: 0044 1392 428388 (9600)
< Fax: 0044 1392 431025
< Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.
< Barry Rossen
< Product and Technical Support Team
< Bose Corporation
< US Telephone: (800)367-4008
< International Tel: (508)766-1900
< Email: bose.com/ContactUs
< Fax: (800)278-7970
< Telephone Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30AM-9:00PM, Sat & Sun 9:00AM-5:00PM (EST)
< Walk-In Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM
< Make your computer come alive with quality sound you know and trust. Bose(R) offers a full array of multimedia speakers just right for all of your needs, to enhance music, games, and movies. Call 800-767-4131 today to learn more about our exciting options or visit bose.com/multimedia
< Technical Support Information:
maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358&doy=13m8#overview
Gary
Boston
Ireland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/28/2007 08:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BOSE/internet/BOSE-A-number-of-BOSE-sales-reps-told-me-OK-to-buy-in-US-and-bring-to-Europe-Wrentham-Also-270755. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BOSE

Most (all) of Europe is 50 Hz 240V; the USA is 60 Hz 120 V

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

A transformer can easily step 240V AC to 120 V AC. The line frequency is a bit of a different problem.

Then too, you must pay a tax in many parts of Europe to use a radio receiver. There are scanning trucks that periodically look for pirate listeners, and a fine is imposed on anyone caught listening to the radio without having paid the tax.

Bose is expensive, and there are many other brands I prefer far more, with final choice based on the particular application.

You could buy what you want in Europe....? Or spend your time taking in the sights & sounds and skip the Bose if you are going to be there for a limited amount of time.

I know many Americans go to Europe, the UK, Japan, and so on, and the first thing they do is look for McDonalds or The Hard Rock Cafe. I have no idea why an American would travel 3,000 to 14,000 miles to experience what thay can easily find in the USA.