Complaint Review: BUY.COM

• Updated: Mon, January 05, 2009

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
BUY.COM
www.buy.com Internet U.S.A.

BUY.COM DO NOT buy from BUY.COM! DO NOT subject yourself to sleazy business practices Chicago California

*Author of original report: UPDATE: buy.com did nothing they said they'd do

I had been a buy.com customer for years, and never had any difficulty with them. That all changed when I tried to cancel an order for $300 item that had not yet shipped.

When I called to check the status of my order, I came to learn that (even though it was sold to me as "in stock soon, usually ships in 2 to 3 business days"), they could not tell me for sure that the item would ever be available for shipment. A red flag went up when the CS person said "if the item is available it will ship within 2 to 3 business days". Despite the fact that they could not guarantee to have the item to ship, they had immediately charged my CC thru PayPal for the entire amount.

So they engage in deceptive business practices by selling items they are unsure they can deliver.

I stated I wanted to cancel the order, since they couldn't say they'd ever fulfill it. The CS said she'd issue a "request to cancel", and that I was only guaranteed a cancelation within 15 minutes of placing the order! What sort of company does business this way? They said the request may be denied and the item would then ship. I could then refuse delivery and start the process of requesting a refund then. Huh? HOW ABOUT NOT SHIPPING IT TO ME! Based on what I read on RipOffReport, I think that if it came to that I could expect just more runaround.

DON'T BUY FROM BUY.COM! I also came to learn from the CS that their return policy requires you ship back the item within 14 days of placing the order! So if it takes THEM 10 days to ship it to you, you are SOL.

Since I paid thru PayPal I immediately opened a dispuate with them. Then I called my CC to let them know I would dispute the charge if I did not get satisfaction with PayPal within 10 days. One way or another, I am getting my $300 back from this company.

STAY CLEAR OF BUY.COM!!!
BUY.COM has very sketchy and sleezy busines practices. STICK WITH A REPUTABLE BUSINESS.

Disgusted Consumer
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2008 10:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BUYCOM/internet/BUYCOM-DO-NOT-buy-from-BUYCOM-DO-NOT-subject-yourself-to-sleazy-business-practices-Chic-402693. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BUY.COM

UPDATE: buy.com did nothing they said they'd do

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Here is an update. Buy.com engages in deceptive, consumer-UNfriendly business practices.

I refused shipment of the laptop, as BUY.COM recommended I do in their email to me. I then called to initiate a refund. They used stall tactics and runaround customer service tricks, no doubt in an attempt to dissuade me from pursuing the matter. I am sure they figure most people just break down after so much frustration. They kept tellling me "3-5 days" every time I called to inquire about status. As though they had to start over each time, and the previous calls never took place. Very aggravating. Last time I called them the CS "supervisor" promised UP AND DOWN she'd call me back on Monday Dec 30, and that call never came (the supervisor shell game I think is another ruse-they really dont put a supervisor on, just another agent masquerading since that "supervisor" turned out to be the very first agent who took my call, and who herself transferred me to another "supervisor" weeks before)

Fortunately for me, I had paid thru Paypal -AND- initiated a dispute with Paypal immediately when things started to point toward deceptive business practice. Paypal came through, found in my favor, and sent me the $300 back to my credit card.

DONT GET INVOLVED with buy.com, if you ever need their customer service they will LET YOU DOWN HARD! It's not the same company it was years ago, when they did have quality service. They defraud and deceive.