Complaint Review: Bally Total Fitness

• Submitted: Fri, July 18, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, July 18, 2008

• Reported By:Somerville Massachusetts
Bally Total Fitness
Mass. Ave Cambridge, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Bally Total Fitness Claiming I owe them $$$ after 15 years! Cambridge Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: Advise.....

*Consumer Comment: New Record

I just received a call from a collection agency looking for me (by my maiden name), claiming that I owe $650. to Bally Total Fitness. I went on the internet and found out about the statute of limitations for the state of Ma. and it sounds like they have no right to recoup this supposed debt. However, I just want to be sure that I do everyhting right. Are there state agencies I need to contact and file complaints with? Do I tell the collection agent that I know about the SoL for Ma.? Should I contact Bally and ask for proof that I even owe the debt and if I do that, what kind of proof should I be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pauselo
Somerville, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2008 05:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bally-Total-Fitness/Cambridge-Massachusetts/Bally-Total-Fitness-Claiming-I-owe-them-after-15-years-Cambridge-Massachusetts-352676. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bally Total Fitness

Advise.....

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

This debt is outside the statute of limitations. They have no power over you because of this. Technically, they can still try to collect, but you have a powerful weapon in the form of a cease communications letter. If you send this they must stop contacting you about the debt.

Send them a letter via Certified Mail + Return Receipt stating:

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I am requesting:

- written validation of this alleged debt and that said alleged debt is within the statute of limitations
- Cease all verbal communications with me about this alleged debt.

Read up on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and understand your rights:

New Record

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Know several people that signed up for a "free" 90 day trial membership with bally and then got hit EIGHT years later by some collection agency trying to collect for a full years's membership. They were all like, "Who remembers what was happening eight years ago"? It's funny how they were all hit up eight eight years later. Like eight years is their magic numbers. None had heard anything from anyone the whole time. 15 years must be a new record.