Complaint Review: Bally Total Fitness

• Updated: Mon, July 07, 2008

• Reported By:Dallas Texas
Bally Total Fitness
www.ballyfitness.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Bally Total Fitness Don't sign that contract!! Just walk out! Ripoff Norwalk Connecticut Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: WISHING I NEVER SIGNED WITH BALLYS

Be careful with Bally's.

Basically my son out of college for the summer break went to Bally's to join for the summer. The entire time my son is telling the service rep what he wanted and he is confirming everything to my son verbally as he types on the computer. After all is typed, he tells my son he is finished and to sign this saying everything is a go.
STUPIDLY my son signs it without looking assuming that it is a 3 month contract.
He received a statement in the mail for approx $1900. ??? WTF??

Told my son to get his contract and sure enough SLAMMED for 36 months.

He called Bally's and asked what was going on and basically they told him he signed a 36 month contract. When he objected, Bally's played it off as "Next time read the contract.

Hmmmm

Bally's calls the house looking for my son.. Did I ever unload on them for slamming a naive 18 year old. I questioned their business practice and the intelligence of signing an 18 year old with no job or credit history to a contract. Like the rep at Bally's said.. "I am use to this because I get it all the time!"

Luckily, my son was going back to college and THANK GOD there is not a Bally's within 60 miles.

We sent his membership card, a check for $50 cancellation fee which is also clearly marked on the check, and a copy of his dorm schedule indicating his new address.

A week later they cashed the check..Yea!!

The I receive a letter saying that his membership was canceled and he was due a refund and he should receive it in about a month.

Then a week later, he received a payment coupon book to make payment s for the next 36 months.

Needless to say, He returned the coupon book along with a copy of the letter that Bally's sent saying his membership has been canceled and was due a refund.

Of course I have kept all copies of the letters and everything was sent to Bally's certified/return receipt mail.. Yea!

I do not know what to expect next from these people but I am confident that I have enough information and documentation to slam them if the need arises.

I would like to thank Bally's for teaching my son to read a contract thoroughly before signing. Thank you for teaching him the definition of SLAMMING in a most personal way. Just because a person says one thing doesn't mean that is the way they will write it. People or businesses do not always tell the truth. You taught him a good lesson.

I would also like to thank Bally's for their easy credit especially when the person who they extend credit to has no job, full time college student, and no viable credit to begin with.

I would also like to thank Bally's for their rude phone rep who called my house looking for money from my son.

Thank you Bally's for cashing the check that said termination fee.

Thank you Bally's for the letter sent to him that stated his membership has been canceled and that he is due a refund.

Danny
Dallas, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2007 01:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bally-Total-Fitness/nationwide/Bally-Total-Fitness-Dont-sign-that-contract-Just-walk-out-Ripoff-Norwalk-Connecticut-N-270547. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bally Total Fitness

WISHING I NEVER SIGNED WITH BALLYS

AUTHOR: Run Far Away From Ballys - (U.S.A.)

I Bought a membership for a relative....Ballys' ripped me off.....wish I would have know before.....I would have taken my business elsewhere....