Complaint Review: Bally's Health Club

• Submitted: Sat, October 25, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 29, 2008

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
Bally's Health Club
8700 S. Kedzie Ave. Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Bally Total Fitness - Ballys Health Club - Asset Acceptance Corp. NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY. You are signing away your life. Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: Motion to Set Aside

I mistakenly signed a contract with this company and it was the worst decision that I've ever made. At the time I joined I was married and unfortunately a few months later we separated and I was juggling many bills and struggling to pay them.

Bally's Health Club sent my debt to Asset Acceptance Company which is the most ruthless collection company in America. They offered a settlement amount and each time I tried to pay that amount, they would up the amount by 100.00. This happened several times. Finally when the amount became too much for me to pay at one time, they went to court and got a judgment against me, then requested a bank garnishment, which freezes your bank account and places a hold on all of the money in the account, not just the amount that you owe them. Just so happens that I had already cancelled my direct deposit and they weren't able to get my money in that way. Next they sent threatening letters to my job to try to get me terminated, stating that if I didn't pay the amount, my job would be sued for it. Now they've applied for a wage garnishment to take my wages so I won't be able to pay my mortgage and other bills or take care of my children.

The best thing for you to do if you want to lose weight is to buy equipment for your home or only join clubs that let you pay as you go. Do not sign a contract with Bally's Health Club because you never know what may happen with your job or your finances. Trust me, Ballys Total Fitness and Asset Acceptance Corporation do not care about you, your life, your family or your children. They will take everything that you have.

China
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/25/2008 02:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ballys-Health-Club/Chicago-Illinois-60652/Bally-Total-Fitness-Ballys-Health-Club-Asset-Acceptance-Corp-NEVER-SIGN-A-CONTRACT-WI-384789. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bally's Health Club

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Motion to Set Aside

AUTHOR: Carrie - (U.S.A.)

If they got a judgment because you simply did not show up, see your local court clerk about filing a motion to have the default set aside. Did they serve you court papers personally or send them to you in the mail? If not, ask the clerk about the proof of service. If you didn't sign for it, a default is void. Even if you did, carefully examine the papers that came with it. Did they include your original signed agreement with Ballys? Did they include an itemized statement/payment history from Ballys? Did they include a letter from Ballys saying they assigned or sold the debt to Asset? (See court cases Fields v. Wilbur Lawfirm and Asset Acceptance v. Rodney Lemon). Their bogus affidavit must have the referred to "business records" attached, and their own invoice is not proof you legally owe either.

Here's a site you might find helpful- http://www.budhibbs.com He is a consumer advocate and lists Asset as one of their top 10 WORST.