Complaint Review: Bally's Total Fitness

• Submitted: Wed, September 29, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, September 29, 2010

• Reported By: Libra80 — Fountain Valley California U.S.A.
Bally's Total Fitness
12440 E. Imperial Hwy, Ste 300, Norwalk, CA 90650 Internet United States of America

Bally's Total Fitness Company continues to charge monthly following end of contract , Internet

Almost three years ago I joined Bally's.  I stopped going after several months because their gym was dirty and the machines were not properly maintained. Since I had signed a 36 month contract, I left it, and haven't returned to their gym. (I still work out, but at a nicer club I pay more for).  The 36 months is up at the end of October. I reviewed my contract, and while it has plenty to emphasize that the member must pay for the entire 36 months, no where does it state how to cancel after that time is completed.  So, I called Ballys.

After playing phone tree roulette, I finally got to a customer service rep, and explained that I wanted to cancel, and asked if any thing was required my part. "Frank" explained that it is their practice to automatically convert contracts to month-to-month memberships.  I explained that there was NOTHING in the contract stating this. He said if I wanted to cancel I would need to send a written request - to their EFT department.  I am sending a letter today, certified mail, and placing a stop payment with my bank.  I explained to Frank that they are intentionally misleading consumers. Of course, that didn't stop him from trying to convince me to continue my membership.

BEWARE of this company - not only are their gyms gross, but they intentionally make their contracts vague and will bill a consumer when they have not legal right to do so.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2010 02:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ballys-Total-Fitness/internet/Ballys-Total-Fitness-Company-continues-to-charge-monthly-following-end-of-contract-Int-645786. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bally's Total Fitness