occasions

• Updated: Sat, July 17, 2010

• Reported By: David — Tustin California United States of America
Banana Republic

Banana Republic Charged full amount, only shipped half of order, Internet

I placed an order for two pairs of jeans and two shirts on bananarepublic.com after receiving an email about a 25% off storewide sale.

I didn't realize at the time they actually meant you wouldn't be getting 25% or more of your order.  They shipped the jeans but didn't even bother shipping the shirts.

Since I didn't even get half the items, I have zero recourse to use their returns/exchanges system for getting my money back, since this is only intended for people who have items to return.  The amount involved is on the order of $30, so legal action is not worth it.  It's a somewhat subtle and shrewd way of defrauding customers, and it works.  I can't return items I don't have, and I'm extremely unlikely to go through the trouble of taking legal action over $30.  Everyone they rip off in this manner is relegated to posting about it on ripoffreport and going away quietly while BR management laughs all the way to the bank.

I know for a fact that this is not a "mistake", either.  I work for a web retailer, and I know how fulfillment systems work.  Order fulfillment works by requiring the order packer to scan ALL items going into a package.  The system requires scans to match order contents before allowing a package to be marked ready for shipment.  The only way this could have occurred is if Banana Republic INTENDED for it to happen.  They are clearly ripoff artists and charlatans of the highest caliber.

My only recourse at this point is to dispute the charge on my amex card.  I am also most likely going to buy a few blocks of GPS stock, since this snake oil company is run by people who would kick their own grandmothers down a flight of stairs and punch babies in the face just to make a buck.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2010 12:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Banana-Republic/internet/Banana-Republic-Charged-full-amount-only-shipped-half-of-order-Internet-624203. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Banana Republic