Complaint Review: Bank Of America Office Depot

• Submitted: Wed, April 02, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, August 23, 2008

• Reported By:honolulu Hawaii
Bank Of America Office Depot
www.bankofamerica.com Tampa, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-634-2927
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Bank Of America, Office Depot skimming transactions done with BAC credit card at 2 Office depot locations florida Tampa Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Cancel the original card

*Consumer Comment: Bank of America consistantly lied to me, but yelling got it corrected

*UPDATE Employee: Not Office Depot's fault

*Consumer Comment: The problem was....

*Consumer Suggestion: I don't know for sure...

*Author of original report: One more thing

On 1/30/08, 2 transactions were done within 1 hour at 2 separate office depot locations in Florida. I live in Hawaii and my card was with me at the time the transactions took place. On 2/6/08, I filed a dispute with Bank of America basically saying that I did not authorize the transactions and it wasn't me that made the purchases.

I received 2 separate statements back from Bank of America dated March 04, 2008. Bank of America also included a copy of the sales draft with 2 very different signatures made by the ID thief. The statements said, "Since the credit card was present when the transation(s) took place, we consider the charges(s) valid." The dispute was considered resolved by Bank of America and I needed to pay the balance.

1. Because the signatures were totally different, is it the responsibility for Office Depot to take the blame for this? Then again the ID thief could have made 2 duplicate cards.
2. Does Bank of America take skimming seriously? My impression is that they closed the case and did not take skimming into consideration.
3. Who usually takes the responsibility for these types of fraud. Is it me the card holder that usually pays for these types of crimes?

Thanks

Surf
honolulu, Hawaii

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2008 09:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bank-Of-America-Office-Depot/Tampa-Florida-33612-33618/Bank-Of-America-Office-Depot-skimming-transactions-done-with-BAC-credit-card-at-2-Office-323261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bank Of America Office Depot

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Cancel the original card

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

If you are going to keep a credit card account open with them I hope you cancelled the old card and had them re-issue you a new one. Especially since the card has apparently been compromised.

Bank of America consistantly lied to me, but yelling got it corrected

AUTHOR: Russell - (U.S.A.)

Bank of America is the main company that I can think of that I have consistantly caught in numerous lies to me. Luckily, they are an "ethical" company in the warped minds of the regulatory agencies. Otherwise Bank of America would be considered on a list of thieves and robbers. I still have a card account with them, but do not use it. With them, I would reverify everything several times before trusting them to square one. Then I reverify again.

Not Office Depot's fault

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

This is not Office Depot's fault. They took a card and someone signed for it. Merchant agreements (with Visa and Mastercard and such) do not let companies require ID to process their cards (See consumerist.com).

The problem was....

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

that you disputed it instead of filing a fraud report (as this is clearly fraud). They are handled differently. I don't know if you can go back and file a fraud report but you could try.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

I don't know for sure...

AUTHOR: Qwerty777 - (U.S.A.)

I don't know exactly how to go about this, but one idea is to call the police department of the counties in Florida where this happened. Calling your local police in Hawaii won't do much good because the crime happened in Florida, however, they may know how to handle this better than I do. Also, it would help if you can prove you weren't in Florida that day. They don't know if you were on vacation that day and are now trying to get your money back, so you would probably have to prove that since the actual card was present. And I forget, but where did you get the copy of the signatures? If its from Office Depot, then BofA may not have seem them or taken the time to compare, so find out who to fax it to, and keep bugging them about it. Maybe they'll just get so sick of you they refund your money. My first stop would be the police though in this situation.

One more thing

AUTHOR: Surf - (U.S.A.)

what's the best way to get my money back?
Thanks