This situation all started in January of 2009, at the time I was in the process of moving to a new State, I had just graduated from College, and was moving away for a job. Then I noticed something came out of my checking account that I did not authorize and that I did not have the money to pay for. A check from Starter Credit Direct, another company on this site, took $99 out of my account. After looking up the information on this website about how to handle the situation, I spent that whole day on the phone with both the number listed on the "check" and with bank of America, after a while I finally spoke to someone who assured me that the $99 would be refunded while the investigation took place, and also my account would be closed. I told the person, that this company who took the money out of my account had a case against them with the federal trade commission, and that I never authorized anything, but I was not going to put anymore money in the account, because I didn't know if this was a one time thing or if they were going to try it again, and I had things that were set to automatically come out of my bank account every month, and I was trying to stop it, but I was also in the process of moving and so I wasn't sure everything would be done in time, so I needed that account closed today. I was assured this would happen.
After that I didn't think anything else of that account. I got everything sorted out, and sent in letters/called all of the companies set to automatically take things out of my account, but because most of them needed something in writing, and I was in the process of moving, all of this took time, but I wasn't too worried, I figured if they tried to take something out of my account it would just come back as account closed and the company would get back in touch with me to make another payment arrangement and I could explain the situation.
Then seven months later in July I got a letter from a collections agency stating that I owed Bank of America $900 something dollars. I was floored, I hadn't received any contact form bank of America about this situation and I didn't have any clue what was going on so I sent a letter to the collection agency stating that I disputed the debt and to send proof. Surprisingly they did, they sent me bank statements, statements that I had not received from Bank of America, from the time I disputed the check until July, when the account was closed, and then apparently sent directly to a collections agency. Apparently about 4 or 5 things tried to clear my account before I could stop them, and after the first time they bounced bank of America sent them through 3 or 4 more times, although they bounced each time and nothing ever actually cleared my bank, every time I was charged a $35 fee, not to mention the monthly maintenance fee for the months of February to July. I was livid, that account was supposed to be closed in January, not July. I reported them to the Banking Commission of South Carolina, but I don't know what else to do. I don't think I should be held responsible for those fees, when I told them that I wanted the account closed the first day it happened, but at the same time I don't want this to affect my credit any more than it already has, what makes me the most upset is that I received no communication from Bank of America, the first time I heard about this was from a collections agency, seven months after the issue occurred, and after February I had fixed everything from coming out of that account, March April May and June and July all that is shown coming out is a monthly maintenance fee from Bank of America.