Complaint Review: Bank Of America

• Updated: Tue, July 08, 2008

• Reported By:Crawfordville Florida
Bank Of America
bankofamerica.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Bank Of America Erroneous Fees Bank of America charged me for fees that should not have been charged! Tallahassee Florida Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Direct Deposit

*Consumer Comment: Same thing in Texas

*Consumer Comment: THE SAME HAS HAPPENED TO ME. WHY IS BANK OF AMERICA FEEDING OFF THE AVERAGE CONSUMER????????

*Author of original report: Bank of America fraud!

Bank of America has ripped me off! They charged me for five fees at $35.00/fee. They said that it was Overdraft Item Fee.

Here is an overview of my printout.

Balance: $71.59
Deposit: +$6.00
Balance: $77.59
OD Fee: -$35.00 (What was this for?)
Balance: $42.59
OD Fee: -$35.00 (What was this for?)
Balance: $7.59
Check: -$70.00 (This is what the $77.59 was in the account for!!!!!!!)
Balance: -$62.41
Debit: $20.99 (I think this was a legit purchase that hubby made.)
Balance: -$83.40
Debit: -$4.28 (This was what the other $7.59 was in the account for.)
Balance: -$87.68
Deposit: +$300.00
Balance: $212.32
OD Fee: -$35.00 (Again, what on earth was this for????)
Balance: $177.32
OD Fee: -$35.00 (Again, what on earth was this for????)
Balance: $142.32
OD Fee: -$35.00 (And, once again, what on earth was this for????)
Balance: $107.32

Can somebody please help me out???? This is ridiculous. I do think that I should have been charged one fee because the $20.99 was not counted out in my checkbook. But 5 fees?? Where is the money going?

Mymoneymatters
Crawfordville, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/21/2008 11:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bank-Of-America/nationwide/Bank-Of-America-Erroneous-Fees-Bank-of-America-charged-me-for-fees-that-should-not-have-be-342681. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bank Of America

Direct Deposit

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I have had 2 accounts w/Bank of America recently, direct deposit will show as pending on Friday and post on Friday, not Monday. Direct deposits are available funds.

Same thing in Texas

AUTHOR: Yy1990 - (U.S.A.)

I had a direct deposit go in on a Friday, which I saw on my Online Banking AND on the phone system as "AVAILABLE BALANCE". I made charges on my available balance on Saturday and was hit with OD charges for those purchases even though they were not posted to my account until Tuesday. (My deposit posted on Monday.) I called and was given the whole "you did not have money in your account for those charges" routine. But my balance never went below zero, and the bank said the FUNDS WERE AVAILABLE. If they were not available, why did they say they were. When I make debits with my debit card, it is taken against my available balance even before they post, so why not the same thing with Deposits? There is another complaint rebuttal on here that the banks should not required to credit large deposits immediately because they cannot be assured that the deposits will clear. But a direct deposit from a large corporation that has successfully cleared for, I don't know, the past 10 years? I've had my BofA checking account since I was a senior in high school (back then it was NationsBank) and now I'm going to switch to Wamu because they apparently don't do their banking like this. Both charges AND deposits are credited/debited to your account immediately and are reflected in your balance.

And before anyone tells me I need to learn how to balance my checking account, get over yourself. Of course I know how to balance a checking account, and the bank hopes that you count your deposits whenever you write them in your register, because in many cases the money is not for 2-3 days after you deposit it. Accurate checkbook balancing won't help you here. You STILL have to check your online or phone account to see when the check has actually posted. but they don't apply the same logic to charges. They will process a check or debit card transaction and charge you an overdraft fee long before it actually posts to your account. And I believe that they tell you that you have an "available balance" when they know it's not really available to encourage you to spend against that balance so that they can charge you these fees.

I know their method of accounting (however dishonest) is completely legal, but is it legal for them to tell you that you have an available balance that you really don't? Or at least that they don't plan on letting you use?

AUTHOR: Here We Go Again - (U.S.A.)

If I rely on the balance that Bank of America is showing me. YES, I am SCREWED!!!!!
Apparently BOA has a screen only the tellers can see. The consumer can not see this screen.. Nor do they want us to. I have been trusting the online, ATM & calling the 800# for balances too. We can not go by what BANK OF AMERICA is SAYING WHAT OUR BALANCE to our account is. If we do it will, which as you know puts you in a vortex of these fees.

I have not had any problems. Until, BOA has change the way the show their customers the balance on line. So, yes I do and can say that BANK OF AMERICA IS HITTING WAY, WAY below the belt!!! I do know what is outstanding and have deducted that from the balance that is shown. But of course my balance does not reflect BOA's. They obviously have another agenda. To collect as much money by taking the debts not as they come in as posted. But, by as they see fit. So that BOA can make more money off of the consumer.

Of course all you perfect people that have not conformed to technology of today are fine. And also the ones who do not live from paycheck to paycheck, You too are also going to be fine. If I had $1000.00 cushion I too would be fine. Due to circumstances beyond my control I do not have that luxury as of right now.

It seems That Bank of America enjoys screwing the AVERAGE consumer. And there are quite a few hundred COMPLAINTS here for Bank of America.

Bank of America fraud!

AUTHOR: Mymoneymatters - (U.S.A.)

Bank of America has also reported me to Check Systems stating that I owe them money. I have 2 checking accounts and 1 savings account with them, and both of them have money in them. When I called, they said they could see their mistake, but I would have to come in to the bank to get it taken care of--they will not fax a paper to the bank that I am wanting to transfer to. What is their deal???