- Report: #581795
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Bankers Warranty Group
Bankers Warranty Group11101 Roosevelt Blvd. N. St Petersburg, Florida United States of America
Bankers Warranty Group BWG warranties BWG warranty misleading. Depreciation schedule makes getting warranty work impossible after 2 yrs. St Petersburg, Florida
*Author of original report: I was told by BWG today that this has been escalated to the CEO
*Author of original report: DTV Express is not affiliated with BWG's actions
- 3/2009 - Bulb went out on RCA DLP TV. Called BWG for bulb replacement. I was told I don't have a warranty registered through BWG.
- 3/2009 - Contacted DTV express. Provided proof of purchased. They contacted BWG. Took a week for BWG to acknowledge warranty did exist.
- 04/2009 - received bulb after 3 weeks from Hess TV (their service aqent). Appears used. They also apparently charged BWG with a service visit (which I just found out today) even though they sent bulb via USPS and I installed bulb myself later since Hess TV never came by to install. So either BWG or Hess TV is lying about the service visit (I'm not the one lying).
- 02/2010 - picture goes out. Bulb is assumed. I contacted BWG for 2nd bulb (allowed under warranty). Was told that there is no 2nd bulb per warranty. I provide pdf proof of website screenshot from 03/2008 which states otherwise. DTV Express states they'll look into it and to give them a couple of days.
- 03/8/2010 - Contacted BWG to come do a service visit since a new bulb I just purchased off ebay (shrink wrapped philips) didn't work after installation. They opened ticket to send service technician.
- 3/11/2010 - Service agent for BWG (Barrett Antenna and Service) arrives to check out TV. Determines the problem is with the Ballast. They indicate not in stock, so they will have to order it and come back. They indicate they'll be in contact.
- 3/15/2010 - Rep from BWG calls and indicates that our warranty has hit service liability limit and that no more money can be spent by them repairing the TV.
- 3/16/2010 - I call Barrett Antenna and Service (who indicates cost should be half of cost of TV (which I purchased for $741 including tax). They can't move forward because warranty co (BWG) won't authrize charges. I asked why did they then send Barrett to my house? They said it certainly was a waste of their time.
- 3/16/2010 - I emailed DTV Express (the reseller of the warranty) and complained with detail. I am told they have inquired with BWG and to wait for a response. I am informed by the rep: "I suggest a slight attitude adjustment toward the positive on your part".
- 3/16/2010 - Justin from BWG calls. He indicates the TV suffers from depreciation and that my terms and conditions of the warranty purchased (which by the way I never received.... ever, just a receipt and how to contact BWG and what my warranty sku was). he indicates it is worth a little over $200.00 and that over $300.00 had already been spent on servicing the TV. I asked, when was there ever service. He stated: Hess TV last year for the bulb replacement. I stated that such a site visit never took place and that Hess charged for a service they never performed (they only sent what looked like was a used bulb in a box via USPS). He said it was my word versus what was in the report he was reading. I asked for the determination in writing. He said it was against co. policy to put anything in writing (and referred me to these mystical "terms and conditions" he was reading from (and the new Depreciation schedule). Mind you, nothing was ever said of a depreciation schedule before today to me 9and there is nada on any web site referring to such).
- 3/16/2010 - I snet another email to DTV Express indicating that based on BWG's actions to date, they engage in false advertising (a 5 year warranty will never be fullfilled if one takes into account "depreciation"). I also indicated that the bulb replacement being touted on their website when I bought the warranty was not what they claimed when I tried to use said warranty (they claim only 1 bulb for a 5 year warranty when one tries to use the warranty to get the 2nd bulb)
Essentially, the sale of the warranty was smoke and mirrors. They took my money 2 years ago and did not put any terms or conditions on my receipt (nor attached any pdf of same). When I tried to get a bulb the first time around, BWG claimed I didn't purchase a warranty. it took my purchase proof to get them to acknowledge a warranty. Then it took 3 weeks to get a bulb. The picture went awry a couple of weeks ago, and then I am told there is no 2nd bulb with this warranty (even though I have a pdf of the website FAQ from 03/2008 which clearly states 2 bulbs for a 5 year warranty and 1 bulb for a 3 year warranty). I try to address the TV itself, and they send out a technician (even though they claim later that they shouldn't have because I received mythical services from their agent last year... services which I did not receive).
So I have a TV acting as a door stop (with a bad ballast). I am out $250.00 on 2 bulbs bought from ebay due to the fact I had to wait over 10 days each incident waiting for BWG to do its fuduciary duty and honor the claim request). I am out the $99 paid for the warranty. And it will cost me $315.00 to repair the TV if I go through Barrett Antenna and Service directly.
And truly, everytime one calls... having to wait 24 to 48 hours for a reply from BWG everytime one calls (while they are disputing all efforts at one's effort to make use of one's warranty) is a prime example of a company that is pulling in consumers hard earned money without being held accountable when they have to act on an occasional claim). Using ever changing depreciation tables and adjusting terms and conditions (without first disclosing such information when the warranty is purchased) is a license to steal.
My recommendation is to avoid BWG like the plague and to go with Squaretrade or a Best buy warranty instead when purchasing TV's.
All of the above is verifiable regarding receipt and documentation. I highly doubt based on responses thus far, that BWG will do the right thing and fix my TV and call it a day. I will be contacting the BBB next (and with my documentation, which is enough to sink a ship), I hope to make others aware of this BWG's business practices and to hold their feet to the fire regarding making good on warranties that they underwrite and other companies resell for them.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2010 07:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bankers-Warranty-Group/St-Petersburg-Florida-33716/Bankers-Warranty-Group-BWG-warranties-BWG-warranty-misleading-Depreciation-schedule-makes-581795. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.
- Business's (11)
- Lawyers and Law Firms (5312)
- Administrative Law (11)
- Admiralty & Maritime Law (27)
- Agricultural Law (2)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (10)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation (1)
- Appellate Practice (72)
- Aviation & Aerospace (11)
- Banking Law (90)
- Bankruptcy (380)
- Business Law (232)
- Civil Rights (55)
- Class Actions (30)
- Commercial Law (13)
- Communications Law (1)
- Constitutional Law (1)
- Construction Law (83)
- Contracts (7)
- Corporate Law (75)
- Criminal Law (668)
- Debtor & Creditor (51)
- Education Law (14)
- Elder Law (77)
- ElectionCampaign & Political (0)
- Eminent Domain (5)
- Employee Benefits (7)
- Energy (0)
- Entertainment & Sports (17)
- Environmental Law (43)
- Family Law (13)
- Finance (0)
- Government (14)
- Government Contracts (2)
- Health Care (1)
- Immigration (482)
- Indians & Native Populations (1)
- Insurance (90)
- Intellectual Property (526)
- International Law (33)
- International Trade (0)
- Internet Law (7)
- Investments (1)
- Labor & Employment (12)
- Legal Malpractice (92)
- Litigation (20)
- Media Law (1)
- Medical Malpractice (13)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (0)
- Military Law (5)
- Natural Resources (10)
- Occupational Safety & Health (0)
- Personal Injury (842)
- Products Liability (21)
- Professional Liability (0)
- Real Estate (361)
- Securities (169)
- Taxation (142)
- Technology & Science (0)
- Toxic Torts (0)
- Transportation (2)
- Trusts & Estates (368)
- White Collar Crime (1)
- Wills & Probate (7)
- Workers Compensation (242)
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use (10)
- Legal Services (32)
- Arbitrators/Mediators (7)
- Automotive Expert Witnesses (0)
- Bail Bonds (0)
- Court Reporters (1)
- Electronic Data Discovery (1)
- Expert Witnesses (1)
- Forensic Experts (1)
- Jury Selection (0)
- Legal Assistants (8)
- Legal Speakers (2)
- Litigation Support (2)
- Medical Expert Witnesses (1)
- Other (14)
- Paralegal (5)
- Private Investigators (6)
- Process Servers (7)
- Translators/Interpreters (0)
- Miscellaneous Business Services (19)