Complaint Review: Barclay Card USA

• Submitted: Mon, July 23, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, July 25, 2012

• Reported By: Kim — North Tonawanda New York United States of America
Barclay Card USA
Card Services, P.O. Box 13337 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States of America

Barclay Card USA Carnival FunPoints card Barclay fun point redemption nightmare Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

*Author of original report: Barclay resolves problem

I accrued 336,047 so called 'fun points' from my Barclay Carnival FunPoints account and decided to see if I had enough to cover a cruise for my husband and myself.  I contacted Barclay to check how much I would be entitled to as a statement credit, as you have to book the cruise then redeem points toward credit and I did not want to pay out of pocket for the cruise. I called the redemption center and was told that I would be entitled to $5000.00 in statement credit. Since I typically don't take anything at face value I called twice more and was told by the first representative that I would have over $4000.00 toward a cruise. By the time I  contacted the third representative I had the cruise information and cost available.  This time I was told that I was entitled to all but $400.00 of the cost.

Based on the information I was given, not once but three times, I booked the cruise ($3,707.00). When the cruise posted on my credit card I called to request a statement credit only to be told I was entitled to ONLY $2000.00 for the now over 340,000 fun points I had on my account. Now I have to either pay $1700.00 dollars for a cruise or pay the cancellation fee out of pocket, neither of which is part of my budget. When I explained that I would not have booked the cruise had I not been told I had the available points I was told that Barclay's can't be responsible for information given by their employees and the operator apologized for the poor customer service. I certainly feel a business IS responsible for their employees! If a business offers points towards goods/services I feel that everyone there should be well versed in the value of said points.

Don't know yet what course of action I will take regarding the cruise but I do know I will be canceling this card asap.  I feel that Barclay's mislead me, a long-term customer,  and it feels fraudulent....so much for 'fun'.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/23/2012 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Barclay-Card-USA/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19101-3337/Barclay-Card-USA-Carnival-FunPoints-card-Barclay-fun-point-redemption-nightmare-Philadelph-916203. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Barclay Card USA

Barclay resolves problem

AUTHOR: Kim - (United States of America)

Within two days of having difficulty redeeming my Carnival FunPoints, Barclay called to rectify the situation.  They have given me full credit for my points and were very responsive to my concerns.