Complaint Review: Barkworks

• Updated: Thu, March 14, 2013

• Reported By: Lucia — Mission Viejo California
Barkworks
184 Shops At Mission Viejo Mission Viejo, California United States of America

Barkworks Barkworks sold me a puppy with a congenital disease Mission Viejo, California

I am a dog lover and in the past purchased puppies directly from reputable breeders. In this occasion I fell in love with a beautiful Toy Poodle at the Barkworks in Mission Viejo. I purchased this dog in September 2012, she was healthy, happy and active. About 6 weeks ago she started limping, so I took her to her regular vet and they thought it was patella luxation (a problem with the knee cap getting out of place), after weeks of no improvement I decided to seek a second opinion. I went to this specialty vets and they did x-rays and also took fluid from the hip and my puppy was diagnosed with Legg Perthes Disease....a congenital disease. My little dog is only 9 months old and is scheduled for surgery next Tuesday...the cost: $2,500-$3,000.
I am writing a letter to Barkworks to seek reimbursement for the surgery and vet bills related to this congenital disease, as the contract states that they would reimburse any costs of medical bills related to a congenital disease within a year of purchase (it's been only 6 months)
I adore my dog, and will do anything for her to have a normal happy life...but I think Barkworks don't do a background check of breeders, most likely purchase the dogs from puppy mills who sell dogs with hereditary diseases, not caring about the outcome, grief and stress they cause to future dog owners. Do not purchase dogs from pet stores, do not purchase dogs from Barkworks.
I just hope the claim I will submit tomorrow to Barkworks is taken serously and this pet store honors their word, their contract....California law

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 08:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Barkworks/Mission-Viejo-California-92691/Barkworks-Barkworks-sold-me-a-puppy-with-a-congenital-disease-Mission-Viejo-California-1034928. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Barkworks