Complaint Review: Barrett Group

• Updated: Tue, March 25, 2014

• Reported By: westport83 — Oakland California
Barrett Group
100 Jefferson Blvd, Three Jefferson Place, Suite 3 Warwick, Rhode Island USA

Barrett Group Over Charge / Over Promise with some likely Deception Warwick Rhode Island

I think you will find this overview consitent with others, but hopefully with some helpful additions, including tips on what they offer without having to overpay for it.

1) Sign-Up / Payments

They call you after applying to job postings. They make it sound like a privlidge to have them help you. That they are exclusive and only select those that they know have a high likelihood of finding a job. Approval is needed by the Barrett committee. This may be true, but sounded more like they were more filtering on who could pay thier 10k+ fees or not. They have 2 payment options. Pay all upfront with a discount or 70% upfront and 30% when you start your new job. I paid 15K. I would love to be a "fly on the wall" of their review board. I really hope they are not making fools of those that apply, but my instincts say they are.

2) The Team

The initial Sales pitch is that you will be assigned a 5 member team, that you will meet after you sign up. I was assigned a nice enough person, with no access to other team members. He did make use of others, but they were low level admin type people that were rarely involved.

3) The Resume

I had a resume written by Blue Steps. Quite good. Barrett recommended I relax the 2 page limit, which we did. The resume was initially re-written by someone that produced a poor result. My lead guy realized this after I asked him some questions and he quickly took the lead. The end result was a better resume, although a somewhat painful process with me providing most of the value add.

They did recommend I ask others to review it. Both for value add feedback but also for networking. I had already done that with my previous Blue Step resume, but this was a good suggestion.

4) Their Private List of Job Posting

Yes they have one, but it is a joke. Quite useless and they know it. Sounds great on the front end sales to say they have special access to jobs. IMO this was very deceptive. BTW, when I shared this and other feedback, I always got an evasive response. If they were straight up I would have been OK. Just another sign of the "scamish" nature of the group.

5) Linkedin Profle

A major theme of their recruiting effort is networking. Get to the "job" opportunity before it is opened or know someone at the company that can be an advocate. BTW, this is very good advise.

He was helpful at encouraging me to post a Pic. They emphasize a "social tone" versus it being similar to your resume. Show more personality and what you have to offer the social community. Good advice, although again they had very little feedback. They had some very poorly written guidelines and examples. I pressed for a link to some of his best examples and after many delays finally received 2 pretty mediocre ones. Again, good advice, but they offered very little help.

6) Linkedin Contacts

They were helpful in emphasizing how important it is to have >500 contacts. I had about 150. I was hesitent since I only wanted "high value" relevent contacts versus my garderener, but I do agree that we should all take the challange to get close to that. BTW, I still have not added my gardener, although I have more respect for him then the Barrett group :(.

They also showed how to search for relevent contacts in your work domain and geography. I added about 15 by sending unsolicited invites saying "Thought is useful to become connected since we are in the same industry, etc". It was a good recommendation.

They advertise the value of the many important contacts you get by being linkedin to members of the Barrett Group. I found these quite useless and another "over sold" aspect of the Sales pitch.

They also want you to post "value add" info that they is broadcast to your contacts. A pretty good idea to remind people of your value.

In general the Linkedin tutorials for search, changing my link, etc were useful.

7) E-Mail Blasts to Relevent Recruiters

They use an industry database to identify Exec Recruiters contact info. They generate a generic cover letter they send to 300+. They claim a menaingful % of jobs come from this (10-15%). I think this is "old school" and did not find this useful. I suspect they will also find that the success rate has dropped rapidly.

8) Published Market Search Engines

They promote Simplyhired. It is a job aggregator and has the advantage of being integrated with Linkedin. It is a very good site, but does not pick up jobs posted on some other important sites. I asked specifically for what other "value add" sites should I use, with very little useful feedback. For example, you should know that Simplyhired does not include Linkedin job postings and hence should use that also.

He emphasized that Published jobs only yield 15-20% of jobs, hence his lack of enthsiasm and emphasis for this. Perhaps true, but the level of excellence in what to use and why was missing.

9) Access to Key Executives at Target Companies

They promote a service where you can obtain a list of key people at companies you are interested in. This will allow you to reach out to them. The process and forms to obtain this is quite comical. The idea is good, but when i tried it the results were rather disappointing. A spreadhseet with 100s of names with incomplete information.

10) Call to Prospective References

This was a service I was especially interested is. Always useful to be hear what your ex-boss will say. I was disappointed in the service. First of all, they know the caller is from RI and everyone said it sounded like an outsourced group. Simple and stanfard questions. Only 3 of the 6 I asked were contacted. My references said they left messages with times and cell phone numbers to call, but none were made. Poor experience for all. I pressed Barrett and they claimed it was my references that had issues. No doubt that was partially true, but I strongly suspect Barrett did not follow through. They offered to complete the remainder, but based on the quality of the service I did not want to subject my high profile references to this.

11) Interview Prep

Used it once and stopped. Not very useful.

12) Post Hire Consulting

They offer services after you are hired. To help build relationships and success. I will not use them. They are not capable enough.

13) Summary

On the positive side, the consultant they assigned was quite pleaseant, a good cheerleader (although too much at times, thought I was in a SNL skit) with some good ideas. He was, however, not very useful beyond a few good ideas.

Some of the services were clearly over-sold or a joke (their internal job posting board).

I strongly suspect they know they are over-selling and hence are purposely deceptive. If so, shame on them.

Of course, I regret using them and do not recommend them unless you pay 1-2k.

I am not bitter. Just trying to be honest with a good heart. Hopefully this will result in Barrett improving their service or being more honest ... or providing helpful information to those of you considering using them.

All my best in your job search. You have special experiences and talents that will be a blessing to many.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2014 02:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Barrett-Group/Warwick-Rhode-Island/Barrett-Group-Over-Charge-Over-Promise-with-some-likely-Deception-Warwick-Rhode-Island-1133565. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Barrett Group