Complaint Review: Barry University - Miami

• Updated: Sun, April 14, 2013

• Reported By: Donna — Spring Hill Florida
Barry University - Miami
11300 NE 2nd Ave Internet United States of America

Barry University - Miami Darlene A. Kluka Barry keeps grants and funding after son withdrawals refusing to refund and then says we owe more. Internet

My son was accepted to USF after he was at Barry University for two years. My son is ESE and I filled out the withdrawal form and sent it in via fax in June 2012. We changed his FAFSA disbursement from Barry to USF, yet after school started Barry 'requested the funds' and USF had to send them back as Barry refused.

Barry did send us a refund, as they said he was still there... but they would not send us what they were given and refused to return the Bright Futures grant or FAFSA funds. They did return the loans... I tried for four months to get this cleared up, they continually state they never received the withdrawal in June, so I resent in October with the assurance it would be back-dated and shortly after all would be cleared up. I sent proof he was registered to USF, attendance and class registration, copy of the original faxed withdrawal, copy of the fax confirmation report and talked to numerous people, including financial aid. Finally someone gave me Darlene Kluka's phone number and email and I had to start all over...

Her final email stated:

Mrs. _________,

I have had the opportunity to thoroughly research your sons situation in terms of his Pell Grant money. At this time, I am unable to back-date the withdrawal application for your son, as too much time has passed as prescribed by federal government guidelines. As I understand it, you and your son were sent emails (to his mybarry account) and letters (to your home address in Brooksville) on three separate occasions as balance reminders for the past semester (10/25, 11/12, and 12/7/12). The amount of the bill was $4485.38. These were based on the fact that an official withdrawal form had been filed through the Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences (dated 10/17/12). Additionally, as I understand it, you have received a refund check of $1942.00,  dated 9/24/12, from Barry University, for the remainder of the Pell Grant.

The withdrawal form that you have shared with me that apparently had been faxed to a university office (you indicated to 305-899-3401) was not a fax number; it is the office number of Dr. Karen Callaghan, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The form was not signed by anyone except your son. The form that was filed later in October through the department had all of the appropriate signatures in order to expedite matters for Steve.

At this point, Barry University has no choice but to comply with the laws governing the Pell Grant for your son, Steve. We are, therefore, unable to legally return the portion of the Pell Grant paid to Barry. We wish Steve the best in his undertakings and know his future will be bright.

The best to you and your family during this holiday season.

Sincerely,
Darlene A.
Kluka, D Phil, Ph. D. - Dean

NOW we are getting collection notices from someone... demanding the balance due, or refund the refund given to my son. They state if he never attended the school why is he entitled to keep the refund. My reply was simple.. We are keeping the refund as it was his grant and bright future scholarship money that should not have gone to Barry... I will not relent, and I will not pay what they say we owe. They took money from my son, money I had to borrow to keep him in his current school... Stay away from Barry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/14/2013 06:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Barry-University-Miami/internet/Barry-University-Miami-Darlene-A-Kluka-Barry-keeps-grants-and-funding-after-son-withdra-1043228. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Barry University - Miami