Complaint Review: Basement Technologies(BTI) Rainsoft

• Submitted: Wed, October 17, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, November 09, 2012

• Reported By: BTIripoffartists — Abington Massachusetts United States of America
Basement Technologies(BTI) Rainsoft
40 Hudson St. Canton, Massachusetts United States of America

Basement Technologies(BTI) Rainsoft James Pratt Rain Soft Distributor misleading practices force sales people to lie Canton, Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: Neutral experience

Home Depot recently contracted with Basement Technologies of Canton, MA to be the
New England Distributor for the Rainsoft line of Water Purification systems...
If you're foolish enough to pick up one of their "Free Water Test" kits and mail it in,
you will be pursued relentlessly by telemarketers offering to have a "Technician"
come into your home to perform a "free evaluation"

they test for hardness, chlorine, and perform a series of performance tests against their own conditioned water using a portable filtration system...then the fun begins
unless you physically remove them from your home they will not stop selling you on
their $5000 glorified water softener

Of course we all know that the water sucks...if you want to do something about it,
here's what I suggest:
1) Test your own water...for $30 you can perform your own, more extensive, battery
of tests and remain in control of the results
2) Educate yourself on the options...Know what water hardness is, and how to
remove it, understand the pros and cons of Reverse Osmosis vs regular
filtration etc
3) Look online for suitable solutions and be smart with financing...there are
dozens of manufacturers that will sell direct to the public and most accept
major credit cards, don't finance through Home Depot or BTI

In case you're wondering...yes, I am a former employee...I refused to enter
people's homes under false pretenses, pretending that I was from the "City
Water Dept." or some other BS story the telemarketing whores used to set a
"Qualified Appointment"

If you get a call from these jerks, or see the kits hanging in Home Depot,
remember...you've been warned

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2012 08:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Basement-TechnologiesBTI-Rainsoft/Canton-Massachusetts-/Basement-TechnologiesBTI-Rainsoft-James-Pratt-Rain-Soft-Distributor-misleading-practices-956109. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Basement Technologies(BTI) Rainsoft

Neutral experience

AUTHOR: Angie - (United States of America)

I had grabbed one of the home depot free water test thing the man complaining here is talking about. He says he's a former employee and it sounds like he has a grudge he's holding onto. Seems to me home depot would have a lot to lose if they let any company scam their customers.

Anyway, I have a skin problem and over the past couple of years several people have mentioned that it's probably made worse by the water I shower in etc.

The company did contact me as I expected. I don't think the person was especially pushy by any means. I couldn't make an appointment for a few weeks and they asked typical things to help me narrow down a date to have some one show up. They called to confirm the day before just like they said they would and I had to cancel the day before but they got some one here for me the following day. I though that was pretty flexible considering I was the one that had messed up my schedule.

The man showed up on time. The testing and results were interesting and I learned way more than I needed. I was told to give about 2 hours for the whole thing but it didn't take that long. I can see for sure that the chemicals In water I shower in are the biggest problem. But also my clothes are not getting clean. I didn't buy the system. And he gave a few options and I didn't buy because I live alone. There was no drama.

I don't think the water situation is going to get better for anyone. We're all smarter now. The Internet has made information available at our finger tips and at the speed of light. Most people agree that having clean water is an issue that's getting worse. I'm afraid for my grandchildren. And we need many solutions to protect our families and it's not as simple as buying bottle water.