Complaint Review: Be Productions, My Artist's Place

• Submitted: Wed, February 27, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, June 19, 2009

• Reported By:San Jose California
Be Productions, My Artist's Place
441 N. First Street San Jose, California U.S.A.

Be Productions, My Artist's Place, Be Productions, My Artist's Place Be Productions - Victimizes Children by pumping up their dreams & holding their heart hostage!!!! San Jose California

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: All Past and Present Be. Members

*Consumer Suggestion: Be Productions/Eric Desando/Monterey Financial Services This is a Rip Off

*Consumer Comment: this is a scam!

*UPDATE Employee: The Truth for Children and Parents

*UPDATE Employee: I work for this company

*Consumer Comment: Be Productions Opens Doors to Opportunities

*Consumer Comment: Be Happy and Have Fun

*UPDATE Employee: Say What!! Be Productions is not to blame... Crushing little hearts is not our game!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Be. Productions approached my girl in Target, Vallejo, California

My story is exactly as the story above, but it happened in san Jose, Ca - My daughter was scouted at Westgate Mall. To me this feels like mental abuse of children. If parents can't afford or opt not to buy the "membership" at a cost of approximately 2500, 3500 or 4900 our children are heart broken after being mentally taken advantage of by these "agents' pumping up the dreams of children and then leaving the parents to be the bad guys and having to break our children's hearts by not signing up.

I did not include my story beacuse it is exactly like the one above.

Beware - if these people approach your child steer clear - don't let them prey upon you child's dreams.

Honest abe
San Jose, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2008 10:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Be-Productions-My-Artists-Place/San-Jose-California/Be-Productions-My-Artists-Place-Be-Productions-My-Artists-Place-Be-Productions-Vict-312534. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Be Productions, My Artist's Place

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

All Past and Present Be. Members

AUTHOR: My Talent Service - (U.S.A.)

Many Be. members have asked us, What is My Talent Service? and/or What happen to Be.?

My Talent Service is the preferred customer service provider for Be.

My Talent Service is here to help service all existing members. We will assist ALL past and present members with their questions pertaining to showcasing, scheduling, event participation, talent improvement, website instruction, and inside industry information. Our job at My Talent Service is to help make your memberships a worthwhile experience for you and your family.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us at any of the emails or numbers listed below.

My Talent Service Contact Information

Office: (310) 282-9906
Cell: (310) 433-1396

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Jack0424 - (U.S.A.)

We signed with Be in May of 2009,they closed all their offices in Northern California in April 2009. We were lied to when we signed,we were lied to when we wanted a refund. I was not until we tried to dispute our credit card charges,that we found out they sold our contract to Monterey Financial Services the same month we signed with them. Please visit my blog for all the details:

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

this is a scam!

AUTHOR: John Smith - (U.S.A.)

pure and simple this is a scam!the worst part is they prey on the emotions of children.
plenty of local workshops,events etc,, for kids to enroll in.

these people are the lowest of the low.

The Truth for Children and Parents

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

To Children and Parents of the Bay Area;

Keep your Children safe and out of harm from this harmful organization.
I was an employee, and never got paid for it.
Thanks for the parents, for finding out, I am sorry and apologize for the lies.
This is a hoax, like Powers and I too feel like a victim and even more by my gas and not getting paid for it by bringing in families.
Familes beware!
I have three children and one is still very very young, and she decided no thanks.

I work for this company

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

You are a hoax, I worked more than 10 hours, I brought in a family never got paid for it. You are telling a lie and I will report you to the BBB. The lies need to stop. You are like Powers Organization, and you wasted my gas. You are a bad bad company and kids and families in the Bay Area will catch on. I want my pay!
This was not fun as you said.
The company is a Hoax with the children and families. I am also going to take this to the media asap. You will be reported. You wasted my gas with the familes I brought in with no pay.

Be Productions Opens Doors to Opportunities

AUTHOR: Member Since 2006 - (U.S.A.)

I've been a member since 2006, initially very skeptical but signed up because I did not want to lose an opportunity for my son to have a shot at Modeling and Acting. 3 years later my son has earned 10x more than my membership fee. The membership fee is fair based on the amount of acting, modeling and photo costs in the industry. My son developed his self confidence and did recieve work in just 90 days. I understand the investment is sizable but my son was worth the investment. The activities and opportunities once in the program is real, it's just a matter of how passionate and talented your kid really is and as a parent do you back your kid! These rip-off reports that shed a negative light on Be screams financial reasons only, that isn't fair! Not all kids make it that's the reality but the kids learn so many life lesson that our schools today doesn't teach.

Be Happy and Have Fun

AUTHOR: Bay Area Parent Of A Talented Kid - (U.S.A.)

Be happy, indeed! We are the proud parents of a member at the Emeryville location.

While it sounds like the street sale "recruits" might not be the best, we've had an amazing experience. The purpose of Be Productions is to have a membership base which allows the sources to be pooled together. Consider it a CSAA / AAA for kids talent. You get guidance, support and development resources as needed, but more importantly, you pool funds towards acting, modeling or even dancing training, mentorship, financial workshops, photographers, tv show production and then when ready, the kids get to present to panels of agents. No, Be Productions are NOT agents...nor do they present themselves as such!

Independently, one weekend acting or comedy workshop for a child can be several hundred dollars per day. Independently, you are at the mercy of talent agents open cycles without the flexibility of being exposed to multiple agents in one forum. Having been both an actor / model in my youth and an advertising creative director as an adult, I would steer my child towards something like this any day. Agent opportunities aside, the children can only blossom -- provided the child even wants to be there in the first place.

It is very important to Be that the children want to even be involved. The purpose of the one-on-one screening is to see if the child is truly interested and see if the parents are truly supportive. We had another set of family members interview at the same time...they did not join and bad-mouthed the experience. We joined and have had a phenomenal experience. Attitude is everything.

The company is made up of some pretty heavy hitters in the various disciplines of talent development, ad / branding creative, acting, film / tv production. The complaints will always tend to be the folks that don't get it or cannot afford it. The random temporary "talent scouts" that may get paid to canvas malls exist in all aspects of the industry. You hopefully get ones that understand what is going on and care enough to present the truth. It's not an accident that the successful kids in the world come from situations where there family or a figurehead supports and encourages the young person's efforts.

I wish they were around for my siblings and I when we had to deal with the costs associated with JOHN ROBERT POWERS, BARBIZON, and the numerous copy cats before dialing in! No. You don't have to be a member anywhere or take classes, blah blah -- your child will have a lot more benefits of going to appropriate classes to develop their abilities and self-confidence than not!

AUTHOR: Be Happy!! - (U.S.A.)

I am going to state that I am an employee of this company and would like to take the opportunity to reply to these postings. Please know that I am not an "agent" and that I work with familes once they become members

First, we do not target young children in hopes of crushing their dreams and breaking their hearts. Making dreams come true is our business and our goal. I know that might sound cheesy but, NOTHING makes us happier and more fulfilled then to see a child succeed and make their dreams a reality. It's interesting to me that none of mentioned complaints are coming from families that are memebers of our program. We have hundreds of very happy familes who have gained and experienced wonderful successes from our program and all it has to offer to young inspiring entertainers.

It seems to me that this is a clear situation of a parent who could not afford the membership fees and is blaming someone for the disappointment of the child. I personally understand if a family does not have the income to support this type of activity but it seems a bit unfair to me to blast a reputible and successful company such as ours all over the interent.

It does take a certain amount of commitment, both in your finances and your time. But so does every other activity that children get involved in. Dance classes cost money, gynmastics cost money, piano lessons, baseball, football, cheerleading, all have a cost assoicated with them. This is no different. However, we have a plan for everyone. We have made it possible for anyone to be apart of our exciting program regarless of your income and financial status. We can make it work for anyone. The true issue is that you were not ready to make that commitment. I totally support that decision...and maybe one day you can...and we would love to have you apart of our program at that time. But don't make us out to be the bad guys here.

I am not here to sell our company. It sells itself. I am here to let those who are interested know that these things that are being posted are not true. Our intention is not to disappoint children and make them sad...build them up and break them down when Mom and Dad can't fork over the money. We are here to show you how these goals can be obtained...what you will need for your child to be successful in this industry. If your child has the passion and you have the ability to support, then this program has proven results!

If not, go to your local theater, get them in the school choir...show them that there are other ways to do what they want to do. If your focus is to support and nurture your childs aspirations, then show them that anything is possbile and help them find another avenue when one road can not be taken. Be. proactive, not reactive!!

#12 Consumer Suggestion

Be. Productions approached my girl in Target, Vallejo, California

AUTHOR: Michael G. - (U.S.A.)

I have to admit, I was (and still am a little) excited about my beautiful girl getting a break at modeling and such to make some $$ for college.
She was approached, not once, but twice at Target in Vallejo. I know she is beautiful, but it seemed suspicious when each person told her (at different times) how she had "pretty eyes" (which I fully agree). We went to the audition at the Marriot where there were about 200+ kids trying out. After the tryout, we were both very excited and I was thinking how this might help me put her through college, and she's only 7.

Not once was I ever told that it is going to cost anything at this point. Also, we have yet to receive the call for a second interview where both parents must attend with the child. So far, everything seems "legit", but, when it comes to my girl, I am VERY protective. That's what brought me to this website (Thank you Ripoff report for all you do).

I have friends who have been models and they have told us many times over, that if they want you, you should not have to pay for anything. And if they ask for money, then get away...fast.

On a side note, they list their office in Emeryville, CA as of this writing.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC