I am writing because I am very displeased with the services I received on March 20, 2010 from Dr. Michael Becker. I brought my dog in to see Dr. Becker, as he was breathing very heavily and having difficulty walking. Prior to my visit, I had taken Stud to my regular vet to have x-rays done, which found nothing. Upon return to my regular veterinarian, she suggested I take him to an overnight emergency clinic down the road to stabilize him Until Monday when I could take him to a specialist.
I accidentally came to Dr. Becker's office, as the hospital I was supposed to go to was further down the road. I didn't know this until I called my vet later to tell her what had happened. I tried explaining to Dr. Becker that twice, including this time, that my dog was sick involved him chewing on a rawhide. Dr. Becker insisted that this was impossible. [continued below]....
..... He told me in 25, years he had never seen or heard of a rawhide doing this damage to a dog. Dr. Becker tried to convince me that my dog had some autoimmune disease or had been poisoned with rat poison. Dr. Becker's assumptions and attitude caused me to refuse any further service from his office. I did however, pay for an office visit. I knew this was not the case. I left your office in tears.
I wanted to get help for my dog, but I knew rat poison and an autoimmune disease was just not the culprit here. I took my baby to another hospital down the road who did x-rays and found that his esophagus and lungs had been pierced. My dog later died. Upon an autopsy, the veterinarian found that a rawhide had gotten lodged in his chest cavity, causing this catastrophic damage. I tried to call Dr. Becker, as it concerned me that he said this was not possible. He would not return my phone call. I also came to the office to drop off a flyer with my dog's story and the dangers of rawhides but he would not come out and speak with me.
I am at this point still one of his paying customers, as I did pay for an office visit. The same kind of rawhides that did this to my dog are also sold in his office. I am disappointed that Dr. Becker made all kinds of assumptions regarding my dog and wouldn't own up to the fact that a rawhide could in fact cause this damage to a dog. I am and will continue to let others know about the dangers of rawhides. Through this process, I have read many similar stories surrounding Dr. Becker, and seeing that he will not return a call or respond in person, I am in full agreement with what I have read. I am hopeful that through this experience, Dr. Becker will at least know that rawhides can be fatal to dogs. Hopefully, this information will save someone else's pet. I just hope by this time Dr. Becker acknowledges that what he assumes to be impossible is in fact possible