Complaint Review: Bedinabox.com

• Submitted: Tue, January 24, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, January 25, 2012

• Reported By: Gabby — Boston Massachusetts United States of America
Bedinabox.com

Bedinabox.com Bed in a box Not very good. Many fake reviews -- Please read. Internet

*General Comment: Cancelled Order

*General Comment: Hard to believe this is genuine, exact same review on epinions 6 months ago?

I bought a mattress from this company.  It is not very good quality at all.  I will explain why in more detail below, but first I want to explain how I was *scammed* into buying this mattress.  There has been a massive campaign of false advertising for BedInABox on Epinions.  I registered an account here in order to point out this fact.  Other reviewers also tried to expose them, and I wish I had given those reviews more weight before purchasing from this company.

I was a little suspicious that there were so many gushing reviews, all quite similar to each other (exclamation points galore, unusually well written, very specific product names and descriptions, etc.).  I should have been more suspicious, and checked into it more closely.  Now that I have been conned, I looked back at the reviewers more closely, to see if they were real or fake.  I'm now convinced that almost all of these positive reviews were written by the company, or by someone that they hired to write positive feedback.  In looking at the reviewer pages, almost all of them have exactly one review on Epinions -- a glowing endorsement for this product.  Almost all of those accounts have since been abandoned (with the message "Note: This account is no longer active.").  Most of the accounts had only one or two visits in total.  Hit and run.  To be more exact, 123 of the 129 profiles I examined were 1-time reviewers, who were never heard from again.  That's over 95% of the very positive reviews.  Almost all of those of those reviews were in a two month span from Aug 2008 to Oct 2008 (probably a blitz campaign by the company).  Don't just take my word for it -- please check this for yourself!

The Epinions slogan is "Unbiased reviews by real people".  Well, in this case, not so much.

Now, about the mattress itself.
This is actually not the first time I've had a bed delivered in the mail.  About 10 years ago I bought a 3" memory foam pad from Bergad (aka Isoform).  I threw it on top of my stiff futon mattress, and have enjoyed very good sleep on it ever since.  (No, I am not a shill for that competing company, I'm just a satisfied customer, and believe that they are a much more honest company).

The biggest problem with the BedInABox mattress is that it is not really memory foam at all.  It is some sort of cheaper, stiffer particle foam.  It does not sink in to conform closely to your body, and thus it does not relieve the pressure points, such as your hips and shoulders.  That's the reason memory foam is so much better than inner spring mattresses.

The bamboo covering only made the situation worse.  It is a tough stretchy covering that further prevents any form-fitting properties.  I bought that expensive cover because I was finding my old memory foam pad to be getting rather hot at night.  Unfortunately, the new mattress was no better in that respect (contrary to their advertising).  To be fair, the BedInABox foam is better than the old-fashioned spring mattresses, and some people will be pleased with it because of that, but it isn't nearly as good as real memory foam (like Tempurpedic, or the much less expensive alternatives).  I tried many different configurations, but nothing provided a satisfactory night's sleep on the new mattress.  We are now using two 1" memory foam pads on top of the crappy foam mattress (without the bamboo cover), just to make it passable.  My wife finds that to be okay, but I still think it is substandard, and I usually move to the old bed in the guest room in order to get some restful sleep.  (How miserable is it that I can't even sleep next to my wife any more!)
I also had a number of issues in dealing with their supposedly great customer service.  I won't go into all the boring details, but suffice it to say that that isn't real either.  Dishonesty, Inc.
I spent $450 to have the mattress shipped to Canada.  Returning it (or donating it to charity) will incur a large loss, so I'm buggered.

I got taken, but you don't have to be.  That's why I'm spending the time to write this review.
Don't buy any wooden nickels, or any wooden mattresses.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2012 07:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bedinaboxcom/internet/Bedinaboxcom-Bed-in-a-box-Not-very-good-Many-fake-reviews-Please-read-Internet-827621. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bedinabox.com

#1 General Comment

Cancelled Order

AUTHOR: fetzer - ()

I ordered a matress from Bed n a Box yesterday.  I was going to surprise my wife, however my children told her that I had ordered a matress.  Well, she wanted to wait until some bills were paid.  She knows that we need a new matress and wants one.

I called the company the day after I placed my order.  I asked to cancel and was told that they would cancel it.  Sarah was nice and even told me that I could get a 5% discount when I call back.  That is wonderful customer service.  This is the honest truth.

#2 General Comment

Hard to believe this is genuine, exact same review on epinions 6 months ago?

AUTHOR: RHoward68 - (United States of America)

Ive been looking at buying a mattress from bedinabox after
a few friends recommended them to me, so I said I would check them out. In most
cases I look for positive comments then if Ill take a look at the negative
comments like this to see if there are common problems with a company. I
started my search about a week ago late at night when I should have been asleep
(thanks to the mattress Im trying to replace now). So the first thing I
noticed was a comment on Epinions from an author, who seemed to have some
legitimate issues.

That article gave me some pause, but I kept on searching
because overall the reviews there and on other sites, were all positive. Plus
my friends usually wont recommend something unless it really is worth looking
at. I also noticed there were comments in response to the review which made
some good points about the motivation behind the review.

So, after reading those comments I decided to take that
review with a large grain of salt. I continued my research. Today I find this
website and I see this article along with another. The first article has
several posts from the company actively trying to resolve the problem.  So I started reading this review, and after
reading for a bit I start to realize that this complaint sounds like a review I
read somewhere else. I look through my history and I see this is nothing more
than a copy and pasted complaint from epinions. Now, Im forced to question the
reviewers motives.  Its curiously odd
that it was posted 6 months after the post on the other site.

Now Im curious, what has this company done to make you this
upset?  I understand holding a grudge,
especially when as a customer you feel wronged, but to post the exact same
thing on another site 6 months later seems excessive to me.  Have you made any attempts to contact the company
to get the matter resolved? 6 months have passed, are you still upset enough to
post here, yet you just copied your original post from the other site? That
does not make much sense to me.

I would love to hear from you since if you do have this type
of problem, I would like to know before I make my decision. Otherwise,  to me, it seems
like you are unfairly holding a grudge against this company or someone who is
just trying to sling mud.