Complaint Review: Beijing

• Submitted: Fri, March 25, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, March 26, 2011

• Reported By: Chris — Lansing Michigan United States of America
Beijing
Wangfujang shopping area Beijing, Select State/Province United States of America

Beijing young women targeting tourists practice english and get slammed Beijing, Other

*Author of original report: Beijing police very helpful

*Consumer Suggestion: Why didnt you

Young women approach you in the fancy shopping district near Wangfujing subway station asking if they can practice their english. You wind up in a shop of their selection and have a few cups of tea. Then the bill comes and it is absurdly high.

I got nicked for 690 RMB for a few beers and drinks. Small potatoes compared to what others have reported but it still stung. The shopkeeper brings little snacks - stuff that should be free. Turns out that tiny plate of almonds cost 139 RMB - about $20 US.

If you get stuck like this put down half the total  and tell them and the shop owners that is all you are paying and walk out. Let them figure it out.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2011 06:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Beijing/Beijing-Select-StateProvince-/Beijing-young-women-targeting-tourists-practice-english-and-get-slammed-Beijing-Other-710044. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Beijing

Beijing police very helpful

AUTHOR: Chris - (United States of America)

I went back to the same area the next day with justice in mind. I went first to the tourist office and told them the story. They said I should call the police which is not what I expected. I just planned to let the tourist office know of this scam. But they said I must get the police or the shop will keep doing the same to others.

So the police came to the tourist office and I took them to the shop - name above the door says "Internet Cafe".  We waited outside for a while until another police car came. Then we - 5 police officers and me - went into the shop. One officer spoke English reasonably well and translated.

After some wrangling with the owner they offered to adjust the bill. I said I would pay for the beers but not the drinks the girls ordered, nor the overpriced almonds and snacks (which I did not order). Total refunded to me was 376 RMB (about $50 US). I was quite surprised by this outcome. Figured the money was lost.

This scam appears to be quite common. While I was walking around before I went to the tourist office I was approached by 3 other pairs of women, apparently with the same program in mind. I assume they get a kick back from the teashops, but maybe they just do it for the joy of screwing tourists.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Why didnt you

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

Why didnt you just get down to business???