Complaint Review: Bell Canada /Sympatico

• Updated: Thu, July 29, 2010

• Reported By: y — United States of America
Bell Canada /Sympatico

Bell Canada /Sympatico scam, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Bell Canada Trying to Rip Me Off!

*Consumer Suggestion: Helpful Hint

Bell is one of the shadiest companies out there. Called about a billing inquiry, offered to switch me into a new plan to save on average 10$ a month. Turns out this specific plan has a 3 year contract attched to it. The billing reps did not inform me of the small print related to this plan as all of their other plans do not come with this fine print. Now stuck in a 3 year contract I never agreed to with an old phone as new phones are averaging about 500 $ for blackberries and since i "agreed" to this new contract no upgrades or promotions are offered. The cancellation fee for this contract is 500$. DO NOT USE BELL SERVICES. Complete rip off with horrible customer service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/01/2010 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bell-Canada-Sympatico/internet/Bell-Canada-Sympatico-scam-Internet-563138. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Bell Canada /Sympatico

Bell Canada Trying to Rip Me Off!

AUTHOR: Melissa81 - (Canada)

I was with Bell for over 3 years, the bill was over $81.44 a month with a 2 year contract which I only found out about the contract only after they installled everything. We don't watch tv anymore so I decided to cancel their services. When I was doing so they asked me why I was cancelling and was basically harassing me to stay with them for over 20 minutes. I have had previous problems with the service and wasn't getting some channels, when I called them they told me I had to pay for someone to come out and take a look. So anyhow, I cancelled the service on April 7 2010. I was told that they had to bill me until May 7, it would be my last bill and to pay the amount of around $51.33 because the billing date is April 19, so I had to pay from April 19-May 7. So I received the bill and paid $51.33. After that I kept receiving bills for the service for the next two months along with late payment fees. They cut off the service on May 7, but yet I receive bills for next 2 months? They sent me a letter stating they disconnected my services following my request, but they haven't received the payment of my last invoice, and they wanted to remind me that their invoices are payable upon receipt. I paid the last bill of $51.33. When I called, lady told me the billing cycle will eventually fix itself, lol. When I called second time they supposidly fixed the problem. I received another bill for $1.44 which makes no sense, I paid it hoping it was the last, (showed on the bill that I paid the $51.33, they finally got the payment)! Now, they sent me 2 empty boxes with instructions on how to send back the receivers/boxes/cards/remotes etc. I sent back the 2 receivers along with remote controls and the cards as they requested. Sent them on May 11, same day I received the boxes, sent with Canada Post, still have the tracking numbers and paper from Bell that is stamped by Canada Post as proof of shipment (as requested to be done by Bell Canada). I have checked the tracking numbers on canadapost.ca and it states that both packages were received on May 17, there's a signature and everything. So, I just received couple days ago after months later, a letter and bill from Bell stating I haven't return the receivers, the bill is around $98.23 (not sure if that is for one receiver or two, won't be surprised if I can another bill lol). I called Bell and told them the problem and told them I have proof the packages were shipped and received, she put me on hold for 10 minutes, then told me that another department was going to fix it and she gave me a confirmation number. So now I'm waiting to see what else they're going to pull out of their sleeve. I have been a more than perfect customer to them for the over 3 years I have been with them, never a late payment, never a problem, and this is what I get! I know this isn't over, I can feel it!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Helpful Hint

AUTHOR: terrieanne - (United States of America)

The same thing happened to me with Bell Internet when I called to cancel.  They were very assertive that I was in a contract and could not get out of it.  I told them that there was NO way that I would ever sign or agree to a contract with a company like Bell because I knew other people who were stuck in their rip off contracts for years.  I told them that they could not hold me to a contract without showing me proof that I agreed to the contract: either a voice recording or signature.  They immediately changed their tone and offered me a discount if I would stay with their company.  They also warned me that they would backdate all of my bills to reflect the full price, before discount, for the entire time that I was "on contract" if I decided to leave Bell and would, therefore, owe them hundreds of dollars.  Long story short:  If they do not have the contract, they cannot force you to stay, but do expect them to gouge you anyway because that is the level of customer service we have come to love and expect from Bell Canada.