Complaint Review: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

• Submitted: Sat, January 04, 2003
  • Updated: Sat, February 10, 2007

• Reported By:Louisville Kentucky
BellSouth FastAccess DSL
http://www.BellSouth.net Louisville, Kentucky U.S.A.

BellSouth FastAccess DSL FastAccess 65K - "no minimum level of speed guaranteed" all lies victimized many consumers Louisville Kentucky

*UPDATE Employee: common practice @ bellsouth

*Consumer Comment: Not a ripoff

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Stay away from DSL, Bellsouth

*Consumer Comment: 65K DSL is a real RIP OFF

*UPDATE Employee: 65kbs a second downloading and youre complaining?

I ordered BellSouth DSL FastAccess Service in October 2002. As of January 2003 my "fast access" is downloading at 65K. Whew!

I called BellSouth in October to pay my telephone bill. The woman in billing suggested I order DSL. I told her that I did not have time to fool with a lot of computer problems. She assured me that "all I would have to do is plug the modem that they would send me into the wall jack and the computer and install the software". It was just supposed to be that simple. Yeah right! This is when the nightmare began.

When I received the modem the instructions stated that there had to be a wall jack mounted in the wall within a couple of feet of the computer. My computer is located across the room from the wall jack. So I called BellSouth DSL....after about 40 minutes on hold....they said they would send a technician to my home to install the jack at my expense of $80.00. I told them to just send me a return label and I would return the modem. They put me on hold again, 40 minutes later....I gave my mailing information and the guy told me that my return label would be on the way (I still have it). I asked to speak to a manager about a refund on the modem and after being on hold about another 20 minutes the manager told me that they could send a technician to my house at no charge (the charge showed up on my phone bill).

The technician came to my house, did not install a wall jack, instead installed a network card inside my computer, rewired the jack in the basement, worked on the lines on the poles at the street, and 4 hours later checked my internet speed. A whopping 65k. Whew! He told me that he thought the problem was that I might need new lines to the house from the pole. He then instructed me to wait 3 weeks and if the speed didn't improve to call him. (I was also billed on my phone bill $99.95 for the installation...still waiting for the credit to appear after arguing with billing over the fact that they weren't supposed to bill me.) I waited three weeks for a speed improvement, no improvement, I called the technician back. He answered, told me to call him right back using my cell phone so that he could check my phone lines.

I called him right back, no answer, no answer, no answer..... I called him the next day and he told me to call BellSouth Telephone Repair service and tell them I needed a new telephone line. Which I did. The woman I talked to told me that they would have someone call me to set up a day and time for them to come out, they came out the next Friday and I wasn't home...I didn't make an appointment...they left the following message: "I was by, checked the line to the house, you don't need a line to the house, you already have one".

I called BellSouth again made another appointment for someone to come out and check the lines. They checked the lines from the pole to the house, from the pole to the junction, said that they "changed the load coil" and "the line may have a bridge tap but that won't hurt it", that it is a "modem problem".

So I called BellSouth DSL again, 40 minutes on hold, talked to a DSL technician again, was told that there were only two options left, they were going to try to replace a NID card on their computer and check my computer again the next day after 7:00 p.m. using www.toast.net to see how fast my DSL is running. If the DSL wasn't running any faster then I should call them again. It wasn't so I called, placed on hold for 40 minutes, and then told the technician that I want to just cancel my service.

It is January and I am still trying to get this DSL to work. I spoke to a supervisor there who told me that if I cancel my service I will have to send them an additional $100.00 for the modem. This I don't understand. (I am consulting an attorney.) This supervisor told me that they would send a technician out this Tuesday to install the modem and that I would not be charged but I am leary of that because they said that when the technician installed the DSL in October. (I am still waiting for a credit of $99.95 to show up on my phone bill).

This is what I have already been charged and had to pay via my phone bill.
Activation Fee $50.00
Service Charge Oct 08-Oct31 $16.99
Service Charge Nov 01-Nov30 $21.95
Service Charge Dec 01-Dec31 $21.95
Service Charge Jan 01-Jan 31 $21.95
State Taxes Oct - Jan (approx $5.00 per month) $20.00
UUNET Monthly Service (approx 2.50 per month) $10.00
Internet Modem - $99.95 ($24.99 per month x 4 months)
$99.95 Install Assistance (Charge I wasn't supposed to get)

Now if I choose to cancel the "FastAccess" 65k DSL service, "whew!" I have to pay them an addtional $100.00????

Is there something wrong with this picture? I read their contract and they do a great job wording it so that this seems legal "no minimum level of speed is guaranteed" (See Service Agreement #1 B first paragraph, last sentence). I am consulting an attorney because their name implies "fast access" and 65K is not fast access which to me is false advertising. If they cannot guarantee fast access how can they use FastAccess in their name?????

Karen
Louisville, Kentucky

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on BellSouth

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2003 10:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/BellSouth-FastAccess-DSL/Louisville-Kentucky/BellSouth-FastAccess-DSL-FastAccess-65K-no-minimum-level-of-speed-guaranteed-all-lies-40120. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on BellSouth FastAccess DSL

common practice @ bellsouth

AUTHOR: Service - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately, the company has imposed a program of time management called E S M. Area Management, grades us daily by this system. At the end of the month, you receive a pass or fail. Enough of these failed and the process starts to terminate you (as in fired). At BellSouth, as all the managers will tell you, Time Is Your Enemy.

Now I'm not at all justifying these tactics. I'm just trying to pass along the reasons. To fix this particular problem would take a few hours and maybe multiple Techs to complete. Removing load coils, placing a new service drop to the house, removing bridge taps. All these things hamper a good strong DSL signal to the house. Some times a new jack and inside wire is even required. A Service Tech has at best, 1 hour to get your line fixed, repaired, installed. Anything more than that and he goes into the negative on his time, and has to work to make this time up during his work day, week, or month. So he starts to cut corners, lie to customers, walk away from difficult troubles, and now you have this customer as the end result.

This is not an isolated case. The problem is that employees are not rewarded for repairing lines. They are rewarded for $ELLING you an additional product, or upgrade. Unethical Service Techs, do what ever it takes to pass E S M.
We are not all like that, but I'm sure we have all lowered our standards in an effort to pass our score card. My solution to this problem is to recommend you call your local Public Service Commission. If you want it fixed the third time around, just pick up your Cell Phone, and report it to them after you call it in to BellSouth. Everyone at the management level fears the PSC. It will be repaired that day without fail, even if someone has to work Overtime. Please pass this along to everyone you know. Public Service Commission. I've see them scramble to get their best tech on it, many times.

. Respectfully, - V -

, I hope I'm not too late.

Not a ripoff

AUTHOR: Matthew - (U.S.A.)

First off I would like to say that the person that said 65k is faster than cable is either a fool, or is very misinformed and needs to go do his studies before posting here. Second, I dont know what the fuss is all about. Maybe bellsouth is different where you are from and I am definatly one that knows the sad fact that not all costumers are treated equal but I have bell south DSL,and its quite fast. Now the software isnt as easy to install as the person on the phone told you but it isn very difficult if you know how to read and follow directions either. Simple computer skills are needed and everything is fine. Anyway, best of luck with you in the future,and honestly. its not a ripoff.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Stay away from DSL, Bellsouth

AUTHOR: C - (U.S.A.)

Good consumers I bid you to stay away from Bellsouth. John from Niceville could say whatever he wants, but he knows what his company is all about.

Bellsouth empoyees(not all but a lot) Practice their profession UNETHEICALLY. Regardless of what you might say Mr.john you know this is the truth. You know how many customers I used to get on a daily basis claiming they were lied to about the modem charge appearing on the bill?( for everyones info Bellsouth DOES charge you the cost of the modem on the first bill rgardless if you send the rebates the same day or 1 month later)These customers were told they would not be charged if they send the rebate quickly:FALSE.

They are told the activation would not be charged:FALSE, it is the same as the the modem. And by the way mr.John you could call me a nitwit or whatever but wait till bellsouth feels like firing you for whatever stupid reason they alwas come up with to fire people, lets see if youll want to defend them then.

P.S. Comcast currently has the fastest internet download speeds(6.0 gb) twice as fast as DSL Extreme

AUTHOR: Al - (U.S.A.)

65K dsl is the LOWEST LEVEL of service of dsl you can get, however most non-commerical web sites won't be allocated but a fraction of that kindof band width. Now this is assuming that 65K means 65KiloBYTES and not 65 kilobits... 64K could equal 512 kilobits per second, which is low tier on dsl downstream, you could be limited further by a low upstream. Of course you can buy dsl packages up to 3.0 negabits down stream for more money. (i don't care for dsl, too many technical issues as well as the contracts and the confusion on equiptment).

ON THE OTHER HAND, the guy above who says that it is faster than cable needs to do his research! I have achieved over 800 Kilobytes per second on commercial web sites on my cable connection...now that works out to nearly 6.4 Megabits, quite faster than the 512 kilobits that basic dsl service delivers. On average I get overall through put (according to my IPCop firewall during heavy traffic) of 4.7 Megabits , and that is with basic cable service, the next level offers up to 8.0 megabits...and I don't have a contract, true tech support, and I return the modem if I cancel (if i owned my own cable modem, I'd save a whole 2 bucks a month, talk about a rip off!) I be pissed too if i wasn't too savvy on working out technical issues (which I do for a living, I recommend to my clients to ask for self install, and CALL ME).

Well, 2 more cents to the ROR!

65kbs a second downloading and youre complaining?

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

That is dsl speed and faster than cable. with dial up you only get 3 or 4 kbs duhhhhhhhhhhh