Complaint Review: Benton County Jail

• Submitted: Fri, January 13, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, May 16, 2011

• Reported By:Fayetteville Arkansas
Benton County Jail
1300 SW 14th St, Bentonville, Arkansas U.S.A.

Benton County Jail Deprived of Human Dignities While Still Presumed Innocent Bentonville Arkansas

*General Comment: ex-inmate

*Consumer Comment: TV for Inmates?

*Consumer Comment: The real TRUTH

*Consumer Comment: DO THE RESEARCH

*Consumer Comment: No, I don't feel sorry for the guilty.

*Consumer Comment: It's hard to believe your story at all

*Consumer Comment: You're right

*Consumer Comment: Your husband wants to become an officer huh?

*Consumer Comment: We do NOT live in a Democracy

*Consumer Comment: Guess you are all right

*Consumer Comment: Guess you are all right

*Consumer Comment: Maybe..... Maybe not

*Consumer Comment: That sounds reasonable

*Consumer Comment: Dont do the crime and you wont do the time...

*Consumer Comment: I give up. Our freedoms have been long removed and we are no longer innocent until proven guilty.

*Consumer Comment: You're Right Bridgett

*Consumer Suggestion: Bridget, STILL waiting on that legal reference/link.

*Consumer Comment: Maybe a bit confused

*Consumer Comment: Maybe a bit confused

*Consumer Comment: Post the correct info if you post

*Consumer Comment: Wanna Visit

*Author of original report: http://www.co.benton.ar.us/Sheriff/Inmate.htm ..Benton County Jail is known nationally as the only totally no frills jail in the nation

*Consumer Comment: Nope....never been to jail

*Consumer Comment: This thread is funny...I give it a 7

*Consumer Suggestion: Bridget, what exactly is your point here?

*Consumer Comment: By the Way....

*Consumer Comment: Never been to Jail.... thank you

*Consumer Suggestion: Bridget, PLEASE!

Following is a list of things that Benton County Jail advertises on their website that they deprive their inmates of (whether proven guilty or still presumed innocent):

Commissary (No argument)
Soft Drinks (No argument)

What they don't mention is medications. Got a headache? Put in a request in for the nurse. Within the next month, she will see you and consider giving you a tylenol. Previous doctor prescribe you medications for emphysema? Better hope you can prove your innocence soon or you will die because the county won't spend the money on your meds!!!! Inmates have died from lack of medical treatment. Females.... that time of the month? Put in a request for the nurse. Within the next month, she will see you, but you probably won't need a tampon by then. Also, you might as well chop all of your hair off when you get out because your not allowed to brush it when your inside. The rats nests will be impossible to get out if your in there long... and your court date could be almost a year away.

Fayetteville, Arkansas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2006 01:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Benton-County-Jail/Bentonville-Arkansas-72712/Benton-County-Jail-Deprived-of-Human-Dignities-While-Still-Presumed-Innocent-Bentonville-A-171586. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Benton County Jail

#1 General Comment

ex-inmate

AUTHOR: krystal - (United States of America)

Ok....so I was in Benton County Jail for close to 8 mths and I will tell you first off.....they are allowed toothbrushes!!! The said on their website shank toothbrushes!!!! of course noone is allowed a shank!!! No you are not allowed tv's and yes there is a federal law but it states that they cannot force you to have no contact with the outside world.....you are allowed newspapers every day!!! and you are allowed letters weekly!!! and an unlimited amount of legal letters. They do not treat you badly if you act right! If you are crazy and disrespectful to the guards.....of course they are not going to respect you!!! Yeah you may not get the best meals but they do feed you....it's your choice on wether you want to eat it or not. You get 2 sandwiches per meal for lunch and dinner, and then you are given either cereal, crumb cake, or a biscuit w/ un-salted butter and/or jelly for breakfast and you also get fruit, more if you are on a special diet (i.e. pregnant). You are not given milk but you are given a sort of powder milk....if you don't want to drink it there is always water!!!!!! Yes I completely agree with you about how they handle their medications. I had a bad tooth ache to where i was crying and they told me that the nurse wouldn't be in until the next day and so i pretty much had to deal with it!!!

The medical part of the jail needs alot of help!!! I saw plenty of things that where dealt with very badly when i was in there but there's really not much you can do from inside the jail and alot of people fake their illnesses just to get anything......so of course they have to be cautious.....now for the "Females...." part....if you are having "that time of the month" they will give you pads all you have to do is ask!!! They give out 2-3 pads at a time. No you won't get any tampax pearl tampons....YOU'RE IN JAIL!!! But they won't make you bleed until the nurse gets there!!! And the rats nests really aren't that bad....you find ways to do your hair so that it's not nasty.....alot of girls brush their hair with their toothbrushes....and then claim they dropped it in the toilet or on the floor so that they can get a new one to brush their teeth. If you truly need something like....a new toothbrush, more toilet paper, more paper, your pencil sharpened? all you have to do is ask and most guards will help you out. Now I will say there are a few guards that make you suffer......like the fuss about having to give you pads, or paper, or legal envelopes, etc......but they need to realize too that it's their job to take care of the inmates and if they aren't up for that then they shouldn't have took that job! Also.

...your court dates are not a year apart!!! You have a court date (felony dates) close to 3-4 months apart.....misdameanor's are alot sooner than that.....close to a week......but federal court dates could be nearly 6 mths apart from each other.....it all depends on how much your bond is and how difficult your case is. But i will say that the way they set up your bond is ridiculous!!! A person in B.C.S.O. for rape will have a lower bond than someone for petty theft!!!!! REALLY?!?!?! That's what gets me!!! I've have heard from several people though that b.c.s.o. is the worst county jail in the u.s. now......wonder if that's true? Why is it though that a county jail barely an hour away gets alot more than b.c.s.o? the jail in washington county has commiserary....hot meals......and they can sleep anytime they want......in benton county.....you only get to sleep when they say....and a typical schedule for benton county is 4am wake up, 4:30 breakfast, then you are back in your cell for maybe an hr for head county come 6am, then you are back out of your cells and in to the day room with your cell doors shut and you are not allowed in your cell unless you are getting your whites for a shower, then you have 11:30 lunch and then after lunch you are in your cell until 1 and then you come back out to the day room then you have 4:30 dinner and you stay out until 9pm when you go in to your cell for lights out and then it all starts back over at 4am!!!! Now you tell me that isn't a long day!!!!!!

TV for Inmates?

AUTHOR: Texas Investigative Svcs - (United States of America)

"Yes, there is a Federal Law which requires that all jails and prisons provide television to inmates in jail and prison to give them access to the outside to the outside world.... most of them will one day be released into it one day. Even the Texas Tent Jail has one TV which is shared by all inmates that they can watch only the weather channel on. "

Show me the Federal Statute.

It Does Not Exist. In Fact I will pay $10,000.00 to the person or persons that can PROVE via Federal Statute that Inmates are Guaranteed Television under FEDERAL, STATE, OR Municipal LAW.

Not watching Oprah or Jerry Springer is not cause for action.

Texas does not have "Tent Jails" The only time an inmate in Texas is housed in a Tent, is when they are Trustees working off prison grounds for more than 18 hours. Believe me they don't watch Oprah either.

Best advice:

STAY OUT OF JAIL.

The real TRUTH

AUTHOR: Anita - (U.S.A.)

In responds to Bridgets comments about NO MILK at the benton county jail...My nephew was arrested & taken to the jail..he was going to be there a while & the guard who was booking him asked if he was hungry, my nephew asked what was they serving..the gaurd said bologna sandwich & POWDERED MILK...so YES they do get milk, just not fresh vitamin D milk

DO THE RESEARCH

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Google the name "Donna Sue Reeves".

That is my cousin. Do the research. Believe me or don't believe me. You want to know the truth? It is all public record. Look it up. If I knew how to get a picture of the back of my car, my mother's car, my Aunt's car, my grandmother's, the bracelet my whole family wears 24-7, the badges my Aunt made for all of us to wear pending the trial, believe me I would do it in a heartbeat, but as you have probably noticed by now, I am really not that computer savvy! You want to disagree with me about my opinion on how inmates are treated, fine. BUT DO NOT CALL ME A LIAR when it comes to my cousin and her brutal murder. You do the research. Google her name, see what you come up with. Yes, she was murdered and very brutally. She didn't die from the beating. She died from being put in the freezer. AND DON"T YOU EVER PUT ME IN THE SAME FAMILY AS THAT COLD BLOODED SCUMSUCKER. He is not good enough to lick the crap off my shoe. You do your research before touching that area buddy.

No, I don't feel sorry for the guilty.

You have me all wrong.

I don't feel sorry for the inmates. It's not that at all. No, drugs are NOT a victimless crime. I don't have all the answers. If you had read the last post, you would see where I stand. No, I AM NOT THE VICTIM. But my cousin was. Read my last post. Read about how they reconstructed her eye sockets and her brain was mush and she died of hypothermia in her freezer while her children played in their room. Read about that. Read about how their Daddy was just sentenced to life without the possibility of parole only yesterday. Then read where I said I DO NOT WANT THAT SCUMBAG TO DIE FROM LACK OF PROPER NUTRITION OR ILLNESS FROM POOR HYGIENE TOO EARLY. I want him to suffer the hardest life imaginable for as many years as humanly possible. I don't want him to die because his tooth got rotten from lack of milk products and it got all infected and so he dies only serving 5 years. No, I want him to spend at least 50 years suffering day after day. I wish he could have seen the blood all over the room the day HIS 14 YEAR OLD SON WAS FOUND AFTER ATTEMPTING SUICIDE!!!!

Now, you say inmates don't stay in jail as long as they do in prison because they bond out or what ever. Do you want to know how long our violent cousin murderer scumbag stayed in jail? Well, let's see, he murdered her somehwere around February 14, 2002. He turned himself in, I believe if I have my dates right, February 22, 2002. He was sentenced yesterday, January 19, 2006. He never set foot outside of that jail again from the day he was arrested. So far, he still has not been transported. Going on what, 4 years, now? You see, you have to have someone actually willing to PAY THE BOND!!!!!!! I am glad that this scumbag was in Oklahoma City instead of Benton County Jail. Because who knows, he may have died of some infection or lack of nutrition before we got our justice otherwise. FOUR YEARS....... NOT DAYS!!!!!!!

I'm not looking for luxuries. I'm looking for healthy inmates that can serve out their sentence as long as humanly possible. Guilty ones that can suffer as long as we can force that suffering to last.

As for cereal.... no, they don't get milk with their cereal. The website says milk is PROHIBITED. They get their cereal dry, or if they are lucky, they get some water with it.

I am not saying that the bad guys are all "just misunderstood" people. It's not like that. THe bad guys should not be treated like kings. Personally, I think they should be given their needs and that's it. FORGET THEIR WANTS. I don't care that they WANT a book to read or they WANT a cigarette to smoke or they WANT weight benches or they WANT vists even. But our government says that without books, they become idle and therefore violent, so books are a requirement. Exercise is a requirement.

Personally, I say, give them a cell where they have enough room to lay down on concrete, a bucket to pee in, a hairbrush, a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, a working showerhead, three meals a day containing ALL of the basic food groups and leave them in isolation 24 hours a day. Shave their head every three months. Do that and I will be perfectly happy. No danger to other inmates. They may go crazy from the isolation, but who cares. At least for the ones that violently injured someone. TO me, that is better justice than the death penalty.

It's hard to believe your story at all

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The last guy who claimed he wanted to be kind and generous to inmates was Michael Dukakis. He's the idiot who let murderers(Willie Horton) go home on weekends. He said he was against the death penalty. At a televised debate, when asked what he would want as punishment if his wife was raped and killed, he went silent. He lost the race against Bush Sr at that exact moment in time.

How can you want an inmate treated better than he is when he supposedly did what you claim he did?

That, in itself, removes all credibility from your story.

If someone harmed a member of my family, the "system" would be the least of that individual's worries. This is not a bold statement. It is pure fact. This is a big country, with alot of trees, bears, and Sue-Bee Honey. Those from my neck of the woods understand the combination, and how well it works.

Nope, caring for the person who committed an abhorrent crime against your cousin just does not ring true. I get the feeling it's either completely made up, or your relative is the one who committed the crime.

You're right

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

You are right. I made a mistake there. I got Kerry and Gore confused for some reason. It was Gore I was thinking of, not Kerry. It was Gore who won by Popular vote, not Kerry. Ummmm. I was taught in school that we live we in a democracy, though.

No, I am not blaming this on Bush. Bush is Federal, this is a State problem. I am blaming this on humankind who could care less about inmates because they consider them to be less than human and to deserve less than the rest of us.

My cousin's murderer (and it was a gruesome brutal, viscious murder) was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole yesterday. Do you really think I have any sympathies for him? His 14 year old son had to go through the pain and suffering of testifying against his own Dad just a matter of weeks ago. He attempted suicide and almost succeeded. My cousin's eye sockets had to be reconstructed as did the whole front portion of her head. Her brain was mush. But do you want to know her cause of death? Hypothermia! He put her body in a freezer where she stayed for five days in the same house as her 4 children!!!! The Judge himself said to him "You don't even deserve Life without, but that's all I can give you." But for me and our family, that's what we wanted for him. But we don't want him to die of lack of nutrition or illness that he gets from lack of hygiene. We want him to live locked behind bars until age 93 or whatever, the hardest life imaginable.

The point I was making with my last post was that because so many people disagree with me, believe that the inmates should not be entitled to their basic needs of survival and hygiene, that it will do no good for me to try to fight for it in this country becuase I do not have enough supporters in it.

Your husband wants to become an officer huh?

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

Milk (Isn't this a basic food group?)

They eat cereal with no milk on it? Did you mean they don't get milk to drink, along with the milk on their cereal in the morning?

Bologna sandwiches gives protein and carbs, that is all that is needed in a healthy diet. The question is, does your Sheriff give them the really good green bologna like our Sheriff Joe gives the perps out here?

Toothbrushes (Hygiene is obviously of no concern)

This has already been pointed out to you. Only brushes with a shank are not allowed. Are you serious you don't know what a shank is?

This isn't a necessity of life. It's a luxury.

Brush handles, just like shank toothbrush handles, file down to such a nice point for stabbing other inmates in fights. Females can easily run their fingers thru their hair to 'brush' it out daily to keep it fairly knot free. Jail isn't a beauty contest. My hair is so long I sit on it and I can run my fingers thru it, even as long as it is, to get any knots out on a windy day.

This isn't a necessity of life. It's a luxury.

The Supreme Court ruled that county jails don't have to meet the same standards as prisons, because perps aren't in them as long as they are in a prison.

Weightlifting Equipment (No argument)

Yes, they should let them lift weights, so they can bulk up and get stronger! Then when they are released they can beat the shit out of the cop that comes to arrest them, when they break the law the next time. Wonderful idea.

Magazines (not even Reader's Digest)

Not a necessity, but they do make good kindling for the fires prisoners like to set. Much easier to set on fire than their matresses.

This isn't a necessity of life. It's a luxury.

I do know how some perps would love to have razor blades though, they make cutting up another prisoner or a guard so pretty and red with one nice, quick, little slash.

This isn't a necessity of life. It's a luxury.

Soft Drinks (No argument)

This isn't a necessity of life. It's a luxury.

Your husband wants to become an officer huh? Wow, that's great. Please post to us a year or two after he's been on the streets and tell us how you feel about the jail at that point in your life.

Always keep a copy of your posts from this report on hand, front and center of your fridge would be the perfect spot. Then when he comes home with the knees and elbows torn out of his unifrom, after he rolled around in the street, to get some lunatic under control that was higher than a kite on drugs .. he will then remember that it wasn't really all that bad guys fault. He either had a bad childhood or maybe just a bad day. Could have been the drugs, but then we all know drugs is a victimless crime. They didn't make that perp rip off that house or person to get drug money, just before your husband got called to the scene.

Maybe you are right though Bridget, the system isn't perfect. Since once in a long while an innocent person does end up in jail, we should just let everyone that says they are innocent out of there. Trust me, they ALL say they are innocent if you ask.

You are aware that pre trial, most perps never spend more than a night in jail? They get out O.R. or bond out via their friendly neighborhood bondsman. Was there a reason this lady you talked to was kept in county for 3 months prior to her trial? Could it be this wasn't her first offense and the judge felt she was a flight risk? Was she perhaps already on probation or parole and not allowed to get out until after her trial? Did the judge say there was NO evidence or did he say there wasn't enough evidence against her?

Don't play the I've been a victim card here either. You've seen it won't fly. I've been a victim too, my first husband was murdered, shot in cold blood. Perp did 5 whole years. Big w00p. Stick to the issue, which is you feel sorry for people in jail and can't see how they would ever want to take advantage of anything given to them, abuse it, or use it to hurt someone else.

My husband is a retired cop. I've lived the life you are entering in to. I've heard the stories. I live in Sheriff Joe's county. You really have no concept what 120 in the shade is until you have lived in it for some time. Read the reports filed on Sheriff Joe on this site. They're normally from those who've spent time in his jail. The citizens of this county keep electing Joe every term .. why? Cause he runs a tough jail and one trip there is worth more than many trips to any other jail around the country, to show soemone they really don't want to commit another crime.

What do people like you want? Joe even put up cameras in his jail and put the live stream video online to prove no one was being abused there. Then your type went from screaming abuse of prisoners behind closed doors to saying he was abusing innocents by showing them on the web as they went thru booking, before they saw the judge. You can't have it both ways ... make up your mind. I have no doubts your sheriff runs your jail in the same manner as Joe runs his here in Phoenix. I'm sure your crime rate is lower due to the way it's run, but yet you whine.

I do hope you come down off your pedestal soon and see reality. If you don't, you are in for a huge shock once your husband hits the streets and comes home for the first time all bloody and you spend the rest of the evening sewing up the knees and elbows of his uniform. There are a lot of bad people out there and they do NOT like the police.

We do NOT live in a Democracy

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Government Schools have done their job perfectly in NOT educating anyone during the last 30 years.

We do not live in a Democracy. In fact, the word Democracy is not in the US Constitution, or any of the 50 State Constitutions, at all. The word isn't even mentioned once.

Democracy is MOB RULE. We live in a Representative Republic. Holy Moly!

And, John Kerry did NOT get a majority of the vote. Al Gore did, but the Presidential elections are not won by the votes of the electorate. They are won or lost by the Electoral College. Al Gore and John Kerry both, did not have enough "electors" to win.

In fact, John Kerry lost by a nice margin. Al Gore was never going to win in 2000. Every single recount put Bush ahead by a wider margin. The ONLY vote tossing that occured was by the Democrats when they insisted the "late" absentee ballots be disqualified. They were "late" because they were from our Military Members overseas, and every Democrat knows he/she is not going to get that voting bloc.

The only issue the Florida Supreme Court was trying to pass through was only doing a recount in 5 districts, not ALL of them. They were told repeatedly by the US Supreme Court that to do the recount, they had to count ALL the votes in the state, not just those 5 districts. As usual, the Democrats would have none of that. They knew they lost, and a ststaewide recount would cost them plenty of money, and would still lose by a wider margin.

I'm sure though, that being mean to the inmates is Bush's fault. Everything else is. I'm just wondering who you people are going to blame after Bush leaves office. My sister still blames Reagan, so I guess Bush will be taking the hits for another 20 years too. It will be interesting to watch you guys crying foul when the bad guys come back and blow stuff up and kill thousands more. Have you noticed that hasn't happened since our Senate and Congress APPROVED of every spending bill funding the war? Yep, even those who voted for it, before they voted against it, then for it again......

Guess you are all right

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Well, this is a democracy afterall.... sort of. Well, they claim it be, so for now, we'll say it, even though the majority did say we wanted Kerry as President.

Anyway.... apparently... Arkansas laws do not require that jails or prisons provide inmates with all food groups or any hygiene needs. I got an e-mail back from David Underwood (he is the state level person over matters such as these). If you want I can try to post the e-mail in here if anyone cares to see it, just let me know.

And since we claim this is a Democracy and at least as far as this forum goes, I am obviously outvoted and I posted one other forum with identical results, I think it would be safe to say it's not a battle worth fighting, so trying to get some laws passed requiring these needs be met would only result in defeat, so why waste my time and hard honest earned money, right?

Inmates (whether innocent or guilty) have no right to dignity or basic needs or hygiene. End of story.

Guess you are all right

Maybe..... Maybe not

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Are you telling me that in 21 years, you have NEVER seen an inmate come through that was actually innocent? That didn't do the crime? But they did the time? Of course under the conditions you are describing, it would be acceptable in my opinion, assuming their needs are being met.

That sounds reasonable

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Everything you have jus described sounds to me to be a perfectly decent and humane jail, a place a person should be while awaiting trial to prove their innocence or be proven guilty.

A couple of questions though.... If a female inmate approaches a jailer and says "It's my time of month", are their feminie hygiene products made available to her? Are they allowed to have milk according to nutitional guides? If an inmate approaches a jailer and says "I'm having chest pains" for example, or kidney pains or other sings of immediate medical danger, are there proper procedures put in place to handle a medical emergency while also protecting the liklihood of an escape and danger to jailers/officers?

These are the concern I have.

Everything you describe is what a jail should be obviously. You shouldn't go to jail and sit back in a lazy boy in front of a TV watching Jay Leno or whatever. You should have a bedtime. The thing is.... if you are guilty, you probably need rules and you needed them a long time ago. If you are innocent, you know all about and understand the need to follow them. The rules of jail aren't the issue. It's the lack of human needs meing met in the Benton County Jail.

Dont do the crime and you wont do the time...

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Bridget I have read your post and i can tell you from being a 21 year law enforcement officer that there is no such law state or federal that says there must be a TV in a correctional facility. Further more the Tax payers of the county pay for everything that the sheriff has to work with in the county no one else.. Yes there are some guidelines in running a jail but to provide you with everything you stated is not done in alot of states.. In Kansas where i am at you would recieve 1 safety razor for shaving and turn it in back to the jailer after shaving. Your meals would be oatmeal and scrabbled eggs in the morning along with a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and a meat sandwich for dinner. You would be allowed to have mail after it has been censored for any contraband and vistors on sunday for 1 hour behind a steel curtain. We are not there to take care of your every needs if you become ill then you advise the jailer on duty and the nurse or doctor will be called. If you need medications you will be given them by a Nurse during the day.. Buttom line is dont do the crime and you wont do the time.

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

You know what. I give up. You are all right. This is no longer a free country. Our freedoms have been long removed and we are no longer innocent until proven guilty.

We should stop teaching our children that milk is necessary for a life. In fact, as of right now, my children and my family will no longer drink milk. Deodorant will be banned. I will learn the difference between a "shank" toothbrush and a regular toothbrush and ensure that there are no "shank" toothbrushes in our home. There will be no more haircuts in our family or razors. Our exercise will consist of one step out the door and back inside. My Tv's (all 5 of them) will be donated tomorrow as will my computer. When my family gets ill, we will wait a full week before taking any type of medication for it. If we become terminally ill, we will ignore it. When I start my period, I will just bleed all over myself for a full week before purchasing pads or tampons (by which time they are no longer necessary). After all, none of us have ever been to trial. We must be guilty and we must be punished by depriving ourselves of our human dignities. We have no right to be healthy.

I give up.

By the way..... I guess I will be guilty of child abuse, then, won't I? Hmmmm.... wonder how many elderly are in the Benton County Jail.

You're Right Bridgett

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I couldn't agree with you more. The living conditions for prisoners in this country are deplorable. I propose that Marriot International take over the prison operations in this country IMMEDIATELY. Each criminal will be entitled to the follwing ammenities:

Airline Desk
Secretarial Service
Fitness Room
Pool
Tennis Court

Furthermore, the prisons can contract with Harvard Law School to provide law degrees to the prisoners. Then when they get out they can sue us because their pillows weren't fluffed properly and they suffered severe emotional distress as a result.

Keep up the good work Bridgett.

#17 Consumer Suggestion

Bridget, STILL waiting on that legal reference/link.

Bridget,

You said you were going to post the link to the federal law that requires inmates to have TV.

We are still waiting.

I guess it's hard to find and/or post something that does not exist.

I'm looking forward to this.

Maybe a bit confused

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Okay.... so first tell me....

what does "shank" toothbrush mean? I didn't realize there was a difference. I guess I misunderstood that part. I do know that the woman that I spoke with who spent time in Benton County Jail told me they were unable to brush their teeth and their website does say no toothbrushes, excuse me, no "Shank" toothbrushes. Please tell me what a shank toothbrush is.

As for medical, I found no where on the site where it gave anything but political garbage about medical care. Nowhere did it tell about the man.... I wish I could remember his name... who put in for a medical request who was in serious need of medical attention and SIX days after his medical request had to be taken to the loacl hospital by ambulance where he was taken to a bigger hospital by helicopter and died in ICU a few days, all of which could have been prevented simply by being treated on the day he asked for medical treatment. If I remember correctly,and I may not be, it may have been heart problems.

Then there was the man who was eventually convicicted of capital murder based on the testimony of a drug addict who placed him at the scene of the crime (I'm not even going into the whole story) who had emphysema and was disabled. Prior to entering the jail, he had been treated by a doctor through disability. He was on 6 prescriptions. The Jail Doctor decided he didn't need all of those prescriptions. They took away all of his prescriptions except one pill, inclusing his inhaler. It took a court order to get that back. Oh, by the way, he was also able to sue the jail because he was beaten daily because he didn't have engough breath to reach the line in which they were required to stand in the amount of time they allowed. He won his lawsuit.

Electric Razors.... hmmm, I had not thought about that. But go for a visit, they aren't shaved. Maybe their electric razors are dull. Or better yet, did you know that electric raxors have razor blades in them?

By the way, while viewing that website, would you agree that MILK is prohibited?

Maybe a bit confused

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Okay.... so first tell me....

Bridget

Post the correct info if you post

Bridget,

I went to the website and looked.

If you are going to post here, at least post the CORRECT information!

It does NOT say no toothbrushes, it says no SHANK toothbrushes.

It does say no razor blades, but have you ever heard of an electric shaver?

And as for medical, that is addressed on a different page.

As for the rest of the items, WHO CARES?

Don't like it? Don't go to jail!

Wanna Visit

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Maybe you should pay a visit to Benton County Jail! Not as an inmate... unless you would like. But as a visitor, and then tell me if any of these apply anymore....

Commissary (No argument)

Soft Drinks (No argument)"

Don't care. Let them grow their own food. (1)

They get milk. (2)

Don't care. Do they have dates? (3)

They get toothbrushes and toothpaste. (4)

They get haircuts. (5)

Idiotic. (6)

Ditto. (7)

Ditto. (8)

Ditto. (9)

Ditto. (10)

They don't need anything from the outside world. (11)

Caffeine. (12)

Caffeine. (13)

They get razors and cream for shaving. (14)

Ditto. (15)

Caffeine. (16)

(1) Exactly where will they be permitted to grow this food? While Benton County Jail has plenty of room to grow food, they will not permit this. It has been discussed and determined that it gives the prisoners too much chance to escape. They prefer to stick with cereal and sandwiches. When we are talking about days or weeks, your right, who cares. But these people who sit there for multiple months and years, and may be innocent, I think we should at least heat their bologna once every three months.

(2) Their website specifically says that one of the things they are forbidden is milk. Please check out their website or call them at (479) 271-1011 and ask if you don't believe me. Milk is too expensive.

(3) It is basic hygiene. Who cares about dates? It is emotional degradation. Hygiene is classified as a basic need. Believe me, it was one of the things that gained us custody of my step-son!

(4) Again, if you would actually lookk at the website, you see that they do NOT get toothbrushes. They are NOT allowed to brush their teeth. Who cares about cavities? Besides, the taxpayers will pay those dental bills as soon as they get to prison anyway, since after all, they all must be guilty to be in jail, right? Guilty until proven innocent?

(5) Once again, look at the website. It says they are not allowed haircuts. In the future, please look at the information provided BEFORE making such remarks. You are wrong here. The website does specifically say that haircuts are prohibited.

(6) I don't agree with the TV thing, but I do know that it is a federal law. I also know that Wal-Mart actually donated TV's for every cell in the Benton County Jail and those TV's disappeared with no record of where they went. But that was an injustice to the taxpayers, not to the inmates. As soon as I can stop having to explain everything to all of these people who don't want to just look at the website themselves, I can find that law and post the link and I will do that.

(7,8,9,10) We actually agree on a few things! Miraculous.

(11) I am undecided on this issue. But the Federal government apparently feels that they do, especially in times of extended incarceration so that they aren't completed disorientated from the world upon reentry, making rehabiliation more of a success.

(12) Coffee does come decaffienated.

(13) Tea also comes decafienated.

(14) Look at the website. They do not get to shave. NO RAZORS!!!!!!!

(15) Once again, we agree.

(16) Sprite, 7up, some Root Beers.... there are decaffienated soft drinks.... but soft drinks are too high priced to be offering inmates, so I get that part of it. I don't want my tax money spent on buying sodas for inmates, innocent or not. I don't even waste my hard earned money on soft drinks very often.

I am only talking about the necessities. Healthwise. I am not saying that these people in jail should have special treatment or that jail should be better than home. But it should be better than prison. And their basic human needs should be met first and foremost.

PLEASE GO TO THIS WEBSITE

THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL FIND

Benton County Jail

Current Inmate List

( automatically updated every morning by 1:30 AM )

Each inmate is listed once for every charge filed.
This page seen times since 10/02/02

All current inmates listed by individual charges (Sorted by most recent arrest Date)

All current inmates listed by individual charges (alphabetical Order)

Benton County's Most Wanted

Other Links: State of Arkansas Department of Corrections

Arkansas Department of Corrections Inmate Listing

Direct Supervision

Under Direct Supervision, a Benton County Jail Deputy supervises each housing pod and works among the inmates without any separation from them. The deputy is able to directly interact with inmates and preempt or defuse problem situations. Paramount to the success of this style of supervision is the deputy's complete authority and control over his or her area of responsibility. Inmates who refuse to conform to the concept of Direct Supervision will be housed in discipline areas. Deputy security is maintained by the use of hand held radios, sound monitors and visual contact. Each inmate spends most of their time in the housing area or their assigned sleeping area. The need for frequent and costly inmate movement is reduced by providing all services in the housing area, such as dining, recreation, attorney consultation, religious services, and library services. Direct Supervision enhances the interaction between jail deputies and inmates, reduces inmate violence and vandalism, and provides a significant cost savings by reducing the number of staff necessary to operate the facility. The old facility required one deputy per 23 inmates. The new facility has required staffing of one deputy per 42 inmates.

The Benton County Jail is known nationally as the only totally no frills jail in the nation.
INMATES ARE NOT ALLOWED:

TV Radios Cigarettes Chewing Tobacco Weight Lifting Equipment Deodorant Magazines Hot Meals
Coffee Tea Milk Razor Blades Hair Cuts Shank Toothbrushes Commissary (no chips, candy, etc.) Soft Drinks

NOTICE MILK IS ON THIS LIST THANK YOU VERY MUCH AS IS EVERYTHING ELSE IS LISTED - BEFORE CALLING ME A LIAR BASED ON WHAT OTHER JAILS DO.... PLEASE CHECK THE JAIL IN QUESTION FIRST!

Nope....never been to jail

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

No, I have never been to jail. I READ the website. Why don't you read it? It is listed with this post. Scroll to the bottom of the page listed. I did speak with a woman who was incarcerated for 90 days for walking down the same street on which a drug deal had gone down and had gotten in the cross fire, so to speak. She was found NOT GUILTY after waiting a full 90 days for her trial.... no she could not afford the $3500 bond, and she lost her house, car, kids, and job. AND SHE WAS INNOCENT. So innocent in fact the the Judge did not allow it to go into a trial at all. He told the State that there was no evidence on her. She did not know the people involved in the drug deal at all, she had no history of drug use, she passed a drug test the day she was arested, etc. But for 3 months, she was treated as though she was guilty. Is that what you fought for? That's what we got!

Back to me.... I got pulled over twice. Once I had just bought the car, was driving it home from the car lot, had no tags (in my State - that was the proper thing to do). I wasted approximately 20 minutes and then was on my way. Second time, I did a bad thing. I was speeding. I was running 83 mph on the bypass (speed limit 70) because I had just gotten the call that my mom was taken to the ER and to surgery. I got a speeding ticket for 13 over. They knocked $10 off because I was wearing my seat belt. I went to court. Judge told me if I did not get another ticket in 6 months, it would drop off my record. I paid $90. That was 9 years ago. I have never been pulled over since. That is my "criminal background". I do not know what a pair of cuffs feel like and don't care to know. I am the cousin of Donna Sue Reeves, the woman who was beaten to a coma and then frozen to death by her husband in Oklahoma City. Believe me, I have no sympathies for criminals.

However, HUMANS have the right (criminal or not) to certain human dignities such as all of their basic food groups and hygiene needs being met. Women have the right to have femnine hygiene needs provided to them WHEN they are needed, not later. People have the right to brush their hair or at least have it brushed... hell, shave it so it doesn't need to be brushed! As for the TV's, yeah it's bullcrap, but yes it is a federal law and I am going right now to find the link to it to post it.

This thread is funny...I give it a 7

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I did my 9 1/2 years for the Corps, and got to live in settings that make a cave in Afghanistan look like a 5 Star Hotel.

Bridget whines about the poor pitiful prisoners...boohoo. Call the WAHbulance.

I've been arrested and tried 3 times for serious crimes(2 aggrivated assault w/ deadly weapon, and 1 stalking-hunting down a dog who needed some adjustment) without having once been cuffed, jailed, or even posting bail. Had it done out of state too. Signed the paper and went my way. Not Guilty each time. That's why I never had cuffs, jails, or bail. I have never figured out what you have to do short of there being witnesses to get those 3 things. Wait, that IS it...witnesses.

Personally, I think if someone is sitting and waiting for trial in jail, they ARE guilty. Why elae wouldn't they get bailed out? Right now, the big story was some scumbag in Virginia who was executed after years of denial and appeals. His attorneys and all the idiots who claimed he was innocent got a post mortem DNA test done. Turned out he WAS guilty. Gee, what a shock! Maybe that's why he was executed afyter being found guilty, after being tried, after being arrested, after being investigated, after doing the crime.

This is so easy. On to the list.

"Hot Meals (ceareal and bologna sandwiches)

Commissary (No argument)

Soft Drinks (No argument)"

Don't care. Let them grow their own food.

They get milk.

Don't care. Do they have dates?

They get toothbrushes and toothpaste.

They get haircuts.

Idiotic.

Ditto.

They don't need anything from the outside world.

Caffeine.

They get razors and cream for shaving.

Caffeine.

I get my info from a few guys I know who have spent time in both County and State systems. Your info is bad at best.

If your fiance' is going to be a cop, the last thing he needs to do is start trying to coddle the very people he is going to be paid to lock up. His career will be very short, either by termination of employment, or at the hands of one of the scumbags you want him to be nice to.

#25 Consumer Suggestion

Bridget, what exactly is your point here?

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First of all, you are very confused. There IS NO FEDERAL law that requires anyone to provide TV to inmates. Period. Where in the hell did you hear this?

Better yet, SHOW ME THE LAW. I'll be waiting.

Furthermore, I have served this country for 10 years and have been there done that. So you have not earned the right to speak of conditions in the desert, or in combat. I am a 30% Disabled Veteran.

I fought for the rights you enjoy today.

Your first post sounded like you had first hand knowledge of the conditions, which indicated to any reasonable person that you were an inmate there, and you did not specify one way or the other. Are we supposed to be mind readers?

You are a clueless, spoiled brat.

Get a life.

By the Way....

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

Soldiers in the desert do have toothbrushes, deodorant, all basic food groups, hair short enough to not need brushed, but are still allowed to brush it, allowed to shave.... medics for health needs. When any one of them are without any of their basiv needs, all of us try to do whatever we can to help make sure they get what they need. Inmates and prisoneers can not be compared.

I have no cpmlaints as to the tents in Arizona. It is shelter. I have no complaints to pink underwear. I can't count the number of times my husband had to wear pink underwear beacuse I washed whites with a red shirt. Arizona is NOTHING compared to Benton County.

My complaints are with the fact that inmates, wheter innocent or guilty, are being deprived of human necessities.

Oh, and by the way, the soldiers for the most signed up for their jobs. Some of the inmates truly are completely innocent. As a society, we have come to believe that if a person is in jail, they had to have done something illegal. But that is not true. They simply have to have been suspected of doing something wrong.

We do not live in a free world. We are no longer innocent until proven guilty. We are guilty until proven innocent. And you words just add weight to that theory.

Never been to Jail.... thank you

AUTHOR: Bridget - (U.S.A.)

First of all.... I have NEVER been to jail. I have a perfectly clean criminal record AND DRIVING RECORD!!!!! I don't freak out when I see police officers. I feel safe and secure. In general (police and I), we are on the same side. My husband will be a police officer by the end of the year. One of my best friends, who is a Sergeant of one of my local police departments actively fights jails such as these.

Second, the people in this Great United States are supposed to be Innocent until provedn guilty.

The point I was making with that was that these inmates, whether or guilty or still presumed innocent are being basic necessities of life. If you can't afford to pay for that speeding ticket (which no, they should not have been speeding) then they are treated worse than the man who beat his wife with a window weight into unconciounsousness crushing her head in, rupturing her eyeballs, flattening her skull, sending her into acoma, and then placing her body into acoma to freeze to death (Victim Donna Reeves - Case State V. Mike Reeves in Oklahoma City). And that man is in prison.... PROVEN TO BE GUILTY.

This is the United States. Everyone is supposed to Innocent until proven guilty. Jail is where people go while they wait to be proven guilty and that does not allways happen. Yet, while by our Consitution they are still considered innocent they are being deprived of necessities of life such as one of the basic food groups and basic hygiene needs and medical treatment, one they are proven guilty, they have all of their basic needs met. What sense does that make?

#28 Consumer Suggestion

Bridget, PLEASE!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Against federal law to not provide TV to inmates?

I think you need to show us that one.

My suggestion:

If you don't like the conditions,

DON'T GO TO JAIL!

After all, the CHOICE is YOURS!

Did you ever hear of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, AZ.?

Tents, 120 degrees and pink underwear.

ps..what about our soldiers over in the desert? They dont have any ove these things and they have not comitted any crime!

Time for a reality check!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC