Complaint Review: Best Buy HSBC Credit Card

• Submitted: Thu, February 21, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, March 10, 2008

• Reported By:Las Vegas Nevada
Best Buy HSBC Credit Card
Galleria Mall, Las Vegas, Nevada U.S.A.

Best Buy HSBC Credit Card Misinformation leading to serious "fees" Las Vegas Nevada

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: No misinformation

*Consumer Comment: Best Buy's HSBC Credit Card does have an option to pay online

I was prepared to purchase my TV with cash, was talked into a credit card with one year "same as cash" with no interest or payment due for one year. Well, read, then RE-READ the fine print folks! And write those checks and mail them AT LEAST two weeks before the due date. Yes, that's right, no payments, no interest for a year does not mean NO PAYMENTS. What it meant in my case was you may choose not to make a payment, but one is due each and every month. I bought a $300 TV, and the MINIMUM PAYMENT DUE EACH MONTH IS $25. Quick math: $25 x 12 months = $300... I got the first "bill", and not realizing what it was due to the fact that I was inundated with at least six different solicitations and various fabulous offers prior to receiving the "BILL", that I set the unopened envelope aside, which upon opening a week or so later with the rest of my junk mail, realized that $25 was due. I called the number noted on the card (800) 365-0292 and was instructed to simply go to the nearest store and make the payment, as it was due in six days. I didn't have the 75 mile drive one of the other posters noted in his story, but it was not convenient in the least. Long story short, they told me they do not take payments in the store and I needed to contact HSBC and make the payment through them. I wrote them a check, and upon receipt of my next statement I noted a $39 LATE FEE CHARGE FOR THE ONE DAY THAT IT WAS LATE. ONE DAY. I took the statement back to Best Buy, they once again referred me to HSBC Credit Card company to dispute it with them, as "they have no control whatsoever" over my Best Buy credit card account. After searching the web for some way to contact them on line I stumbled upon this fabulous site, and was appaled at the tremendous number of complaints about HSBC BEST BUY CREDIT CARDS. It is darn near IMPOSSIBLE TO SIMPLY MAKE A PAYMENT, and as huge as Best Buy and HSBC combined are (net worth in the BILLIONS, for sure), I'm convinced the challenges I've outlined, along with the many others, are no coincidence. BEST BUY HSBC CREDIT CARD HOLDERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best buy credit card warning
Las Vegas, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2008 11:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy-HSBC-Credit-Card/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89109/Best-Buy-HSBC-Credit-Card-Misinformation-leading-to-serious-fees-Las-Vegas-Nevada-311035. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy HSBC Credit Card

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

No misinformation

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

If you truly had read your cardmember agreement you would have seen that you could make a online payment for free. Every credit card will charge you a late fee for 1 day late, very few cc's have a grace period. Did the sales person tell you there was no monthly payment? They can say anything but what is true and legal is what is in writing. I worked for HSBC and every customer service rep knows that you can not make a payment at Best Buy, again the cardmember agreement would have told you that, if you call and speak to a manager you probably could get that late fee reversed. Also if you are mailing payments to anyone, good luck I don't trust the post office to get anything anywhere on time. You can make a free payment online and get a confirmation receipt.

Best Buy's HSBC Credit Card does have an option to pay online

AUTHOR: Wendy - (U.S.A.)

Just like my eBay branded Mastercard, you can pay your Best Buy HSBC card online as well.