Complaint Review: Best Buy - Online Store

• Reported By: privateer — Toronto Ontario Canada
Best Buy - Online Store
www.bestbuy.com Internet United States of America

Best Buy - Online Store Future Shop Extended Warranty Ripp-off Internet

*Consumer Comment: As far as I know..Best Buy does NOT sell "extended warraties".

I sent my laptop in for a warranty repair with no hard drive because I was concerned that Best Buy would just wipe it.  It came back and would not recognize the primary hard slot, basically they never tested their repair.

I had my hard drive backed up, as their was nothing wrong with it and  went back a 3rd time and resubmitted the laptop

Now, 6 weeks after the original submission, I get it back, and they sent it back with the same hard drive in it, only, you guessed it, they wiped it clean.

The geek squad knew that I did not send the hard drive the 1st time cause I was concerned that it might be wiped.

Best Buys answer was that the second time around I ticked off the box that said it was backed up, so why am I upset.  If wiping is standard procedure with hard drive repair, the service guy could have and should have warned me. When I ticked off the box that said it was backed up, that this is what these morons would do.

The hard drive was good enough that they could access it to wipe it and to send back to me, but not good enough to leave my data alone.

Now I lose at least 10 hours of my labour re-loading software and to bring the laptop back to where it was before their un-talented technician hit the "screw the owner" button.     I might as well have to re-buy some software.  This happened because they consider extended warranty money to be free.  When they have to do something to earn it, they do the least amount of work possible with the lowest grade technician that they can get for $10.00/hr.

Bottom Line is turn down these warranties, they are not service contracts.  I could have likely bought a 3 year service contract for the same money and received personalized service, 1 week turn around and an effort to preserve my data, emails, family pictures and expensive programs.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2009 07:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy-Online-Store/internet/Best-Buy-Online-Store-Future-Shop-Extended-Warranty-Ripp-off-Internet-511009. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy - Online Store

As far as I know..Best Buy does NOT sell "extended warraties".

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

I am not coming to the defense of Best Buy..or you...but I know the companies policies very well.

You stated..."Bottom Line is turn down these warranties, they are not service contracts."

As far as I know..all they sell are service contracts...or service plans. However maybe things are different in Canada since I am I  the USA.

Do you have the contract in front of you? If so did you read it cover to cover? And if so...does it state ANYWHERE in the terms or in print..or does it imply in ANY way that it is an extended warranty and not a "service" plan?

If so please post as documentation so this report can be legitimized.

Thank you.