Complaint Review: Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card - HSBC Card Services - HSBC Bank Nevada

• Submitted: Mon, January 29, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, August 24, 2008

• Reported By:Germantown Ohio
Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card - HSBC Card Services - HSBC Bank Nevada
P.O Box 80045 Salinas, California U.S.A.

Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card - HSBC Card Services - HSBC Bank Nevada dishonest fraudulant billing and online deception ripoff Salinas California

*UPDATE Employee: The reason why you were charged

*Consumer Comment: HSBC- bad

*Consumer Suggestion: My experience with the Best Buy website.

*Author of original report: Best Buy Update!

*Consumer Comment: Free membership

*Consumer Comment: Hmm reading wrong

*Consumer Comment: I do!

I went to www.bestbuy.com and clicked on the link to fill out an application for a "Reward Zone Mastercard" and read all the little fine print links they had. There was all the normal jabber about interest rates, billing cycles, over the limit charges, late fees, etc and where it says "Annual Fee" it clearly says "NONE" in bold letters. Not "maybe" or "perhaps" or "it depends". It says "NONE".

My card arrives just in time for christmas shopping, so I go to Best Buy and and rack up a few charges and a tank of gas. When my first bill arrives, it has a charge of $59 for "Annual Fee"

I called and emailed customer care, and all they can do is give me the run around, and lots of appologies, but they insist the website warned me there is an annual fee for the card! I ask for a supervisor, she tells me to email her a link to this imaginary web site so she can see what I'm talking about, I told her to go to www.bestbuy.com and just click on the link, and she tell me "I'm sorry, Sir, but I have no access to the internet" so I asked her "How can you check your email to see the link, if you have no internet?" Again, more run arounds, and constant appologies, and a firm resounding "The annual fee is non-refundable, you should have read your disclaimer when you filled out the application"

Kelly
Germantown, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2007 08:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy-Reward-Zone-Master-Card-HSBC-Card-Services-HSBC-Bank-Nevada/Salinas-California-93912-0045/Best-Buy-Reward-Zone-Master-Card-HSBC-Card-Services-HSBC-Bank-Nevada-dishonest-fraudul-233426. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy Reward Zone Master Card - HSBC Card Services - HSBC Bank Nevada

The reason why you were charged

AUTHOR: Nick - (U.S.A.)

Kelly,

I work for Best Buy (in-store) and i am a credit representative for our store. Your best bet would have been to just go into your local Best Buy and apply there but i can respect how it is more convienient to apply at home. For the Best Buy RZMC, there are actually a few different programs: Gold, platinum, and gold with fee. I agree, the website should state those. this is why i suggested going into the store where it is explained to you. Basically whenever i run an app that gets approved for the one you did (usually a small credit limit) most of the time that customer wants to cancel the card. all you simply have to do is call the bank and cancel. Now honestly, i don't really like HSBC even though they are Best Buy's bank. So whatever they may have upset you with i do appologize. Anyway, thanks for submitting this and please email me with any questions!

HSBC- bad

AUTHOR: Theresa - (U.S.A.)

I want to warn you that this is the worst bank to deal with. Make sure you pay your bills on time everytime. Try to pay off your balance as soon as possible.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

My experience with the Best Buy website.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

It appears that the initial disclosures (TILA "black box") for the Best Buy Rewards Zone Mastercard are not available on the website without submitting personal information on an application. This is a very bad business practice if it is not outright illegal. The website needs to be modified.

I could've put some phony name in in order to go further, but at that point I'd seen enough. The only reference to a potential annual fee that is readily available is the one on in the FAQ page that suggests some accounts may have an annual fee, depending on the applicant's credit.

The disclosures made at the time of application for a credit card are not fully binding. More fine print arrives with the card that details the exact terms of that account, extended to that particular consumer. If the consumer doesn't agree with those terms, they have the right to cancel the card without using it and owe no annual or other fees.

Best Buy Update!

AUTHOR: Kelly - (U.S.A.)

I have since checked the online application process, and apparently when I sent in the web link or the many phone calls, or better yet, posted to ripoffreports.com, they listened to me and changed that pop-up with the listing of the annual fee! I would like to thank you readers and responders for the added traffic to their site! Somebody must have noticed :)

Free membership

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I would have to assume it's the same thing.

Start enjoying the rewards

FREE membership
Get 1 point for nearly every $1 spent
Earn 250 points and get a $5 reward certificate
Everyday member benefits
Exclusive members-only deals, sweepstakes, memorabilia offers, and access to special store sales events
Earn points in store and online
Receive reward certificates by mail or online

I personally haven't been able to find the words "Annual fee" anywhere but I'm not going to attempt to sign up for something just to see those words. LOL.

Hmm reading wrong

AUTHOR: Kristin - (U.S.A.)

Ok for the Reawrd Zone card it specifically says about "No Annual Fee":

What does No annual fee with qualifying credit mean?
HSBC will review a credit bureau report about you to verify information provided on your application. Based upon a review of your application and credit history your annual fee will be determined.

So I guess you didn't qualify for the above.

I do notice that the regular non-Reward Zone credit card has no annual fee.

I see no where on the site where it states in big bold letters that there is NO ANNUAL FEE on the Reward Zone card.

I do!

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

Well, I clearly see that it says that there will be an annual fee and the amount of the annual fee will be decided by your credit score.