Complaint Review: Best Buy Store #1502

• Submitted: Wed, January 07, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, February 06, 2009

• Reported By:miami Florida
Best Buy Store #1502
10760 Nw 17th Ave Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Best Buy Store #1502 Return and Exchange Miami Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Re: Best Buy Store #1502 Return and Exchange Miami Florida Best Buy Store #1502

*Consumer Comment: Questions...

*Consumer Comment: Questions...

*Consumer Suggestion: Where is the Rebuttal From Best Buy.

Good morning, I wanted to email because of the horrible experience I had with Best Buy and their employees. I purchased a Olympus Stylus 790 camera for my wife on December 21st, 2008 as a Christmas gift. When my wife opened her gift on December 24th,2008 she immediately realized that their was something wrong with the camera. For one it did not have the protective plastic on the screen, or the clear tape sealing the camera box, she also saw orange dots inside the screen, and noticed the camera had scratches on it. When she tried to put in the mememory card she noticed it was hard to put it but she finally inserted the card. When she tried to turn on the camera nothing happened. We then charged the battery for a little while. When we tried turning on the camera again the screen was blacked out. She then looked inside were the memory card goes in and she noticed that it was all rusted and corruted inside. Obviously the was a used damaged camera. I had the reciept so I told her it was no problem we would exchange it once we got back to Miami. Now when we tried to return it on December 29th at the store on nw 107th ave in Miami Florida it was to our surprise that the manager named Veronica refused to exchange the item. Accusing us of damaging the camera. This was shocking to me I could not believe I was receiving this treatment from such a large store like Best Buy. I then contacted customer relations in which was advised that I had to go through Olympus. Which was even more aggrevating to me why should I the customer have to go through such an ordeal when I simply purchased a damaged used item from their store. The only thing my wife and I were looking for was to get a working new camera which is what I though I had paid for. To no avail I found myself the next day going to another Best Buy on sw 40th street. I spoke the manager there named Roy. Which advised me that I had a bigger problem which was that Best Buy had sold me an Olympus Stylus 790 however they packed it in a box for a Olympus Stylus 850. He advised me that he could not exchange it there because I had not purchased the camera from that store that I had to go to the Best Buy I had originally purchased the item from. I then told him to please call the manager at the store were I had purchased the camera and advise them of the situation as I drove to the store. I then finally thought that my problem was going to be resolved. However was i was incorrect. When I got there immediately the manager named Rafael Gonzalez accused me of changing the camera to an older model of the Stylus 790 and putting it in the box of the Stylus 890. I explained to the manager Rafael Gonzalez what I had in my hand was was Best Buy sold to me. I told him I was not looking to get the Stylus 850 I just wanted the camera I paid for. I told him this was an inside job amongst your employees. I even told him to look back through the videos of the store on the date I purchased the camera and to see the person who sold me the camera and to see the camera I was looking at. I got no where the police where even called in which the agreed with me that I was a victim of such a large corperation. What was done to me is an injustice! I was a victim of a fraud within the employees of Best Buy in which I believe the way I was treated and the way all managers covered each other everyone is in on the fraud. Best Buy stole $250.00 from me because the sold me a used damaged camera and refused to either give me my money back or exchange it for a new working item.

Tania
miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2009 06:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy-Store-1502/Miami-Florida-33167/Best-Buy-Store-1502-Return-and-Exchange-Miami-Florida-409027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy Store #1502

Re: Best Buy Store #1502 Return and Exchange Miami Florida Best Buy Store #1502

AUTHOR: Drawtaru - (U.S.A.)

One thing that I can say, having been an employee of Best Buy for 5 years now, is that people are shady. During my first year with the company, I was given an iPod that was returned by a customer, and told to put it back on the shelf to sell it. I asked if it had been opened, and the customer service rep said no, that it had not. Well the box felt kind of heavy, so when I got back to my department, I opened it up, and inside the box were two ceramic tiles!! This was a simple case of laziness on the part of the customer service rep.

Another story frequents Best Buy stores of a customer who purchased a computer new in a box, sealed from the manufacturer, only to get it home and find the box packed with wooden blocks.

Even today, not even 5 hours ago, we recieved a return of 3 cases (one for an iPod, one for a cell phone, and one for a camera) where the original cases had been removed, and old cheap cases returned in the plastic.

So what most likely happened, was a customer defrauded the store, and the lazy customer service reps and lazy department-level employees didn't even notice it. I would sit down and have a level-headed conversation with the general manager of the store, or the district manager, and get this worked out.

Questions...

AUTHOR: Vimot - (U.S.A.)

Did the box appear tampered with? How can the police agree with you that you were defrauded? They are there to enforce the law so it seems that if they suspected that fraud was indeed the case did they not tell you to take it to court? An investigation on their part was not initiated?? And if it is such a clear cut case of fraud why are you not filing court proceedings against the company (not mentioned anywhere in this post) instead of pleading your case here? Have you spoken to a lawyer? I'm sure if a lawyer believed your story and the fact that the police agreed it was fraud they would be more than happy to take your case. This very well could be an inside job - anything is possible, but I can certainly see the management's point of view. One part of the story is disturbing to me... the part where you say that you both knew immediately something was wrong with the camera, ie: the scratches and missing protective screen, seal broken, orange dots on the screen. I can't for the life of me understand why she would then attempt to put a memory card in and then attempt to use the camera. See my point? That gives me a bad feeling about the whole story. Sorry.

Questions...

AUTHOR: Vimot - (U.S.A.)

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Where is the Rebuttal From Best Buy.

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

If I was Tania I would escalate this complaint to the corporate office and I would also take Best Buy to small claims court. Since Best Buy has not forwarded a rebuttal then I assume that they agree with the complainer and they admit being at fault. Thanks -Tania. I'll steer clear of Best Buy henceforth.