Complaint Review: Best Buy

• Submitted: Sat, January 10, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, June 26, 2009

• Reported By:a Illinois
Best Buy
6000 Northwest Highway 14 Crystal Lake, Illinois U.S.A.

*Consumer Comment: Similiar Experience with Best Buy

*Consumer Comment: Similiar Experience with Best Buy

*UPDATE Employee: Re: Best Buy - Unwilling to live up to price match policy... TRIEd TO NEGOIATE!!! Crystal Lake Illinois Best Buy

*Consumer Suggestion: Your rights and how the offer is "read"

*Consumer Comment: Sams Club and Cosco are Membership wholesalers not retailers

I tried to buy a camera tonight and presented the sales clerk to print outs of local stores that had the price beat by $190, she told me they would not honor it because it was Sam's and Costco. She showed it to her manager who happened to be standing right there who said ouldnt go any lower than $1399, not the $1299 that the price match was. I said no that thier policy was to match the price and he said that he didn't need to because we offer good financing on the Best Buy card.

I quoted the "local competetor" part of thier policy and he said they weren't local. Sam's club has a adjoing parking lot with this store, Costco is less than 10 minutes away!!! He also said that if he matched the price, I could'nt take advantage of any special financing on the Best Buy card. He then said that their policy was to match stores with in stock product.

Just comming from both of these places, I knew it was in stock. He told the sales girl to call and confirm but she could not get an answer at Costco so she told me that she would not honor the price. She then asked "Do you want me to try Sam's or what?" I actually apologized and said I didn't think this would be a big deal and she said that it was and that thier policy isn't to match membership clubs.

I asked where in thier policy that was and she said "it's a membership club!" I proceded to take my two printouts back and told her that there was no way that I would spend a dime there with themn after the way I was treated. Ironicly, I would have probably bought all the accessories and the service plan which was going to amount to over $500 more tonight but o well!!!

Fightfires4fun
a, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/10/2009 08:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Best-Buy/Crystal-Lake-Illinois-60014/Best-Buy-Unwilling-to-live-up-to-price-match-policy-TRIEd-TO-NEGOIATE-Crystal-Lake-410601. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Best Buy

Similiar Experience with Best Buy

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I had gone to the Best Buy in McHenry after looking for an MP3 player at Circuit City, which was sold out of the item. The next closest Circuit City that had one in stock was 15-20 miles away, not too far, but far enough that I decided to see if Best Buy would match the price. They basically told me that since Circuit City was sold out, they would NOT price match. I rebuttaled that there was one within 15-20 miles, they basically told me to enjoy the drive.

Another, case was in 2007 we were investigating a Garmin GPS. For some reason or another, my father seems to think Best Buy is perfect. The Crystal Lake Circuit City had the item in stock and was listed for $499, where as the Crystal Lake Best Buy had the same model number listed for $749. My father insisted on going through Best Buy, and when asked to price match they refused statnig the mark down was too significant. They would even come down at all!
Finally, I found a Home Theater system online on sale. It had no markings that the sale was "Online Only", so I went to the local Best Buy in Crystal Lake and found the same system, only there was no sale. The cost of the unit was ~$200 more than the price I found online. I asked an associate about the difference and he led me to a computer and brought up the item on the website and sure as can be, there was no sale. I was dumbfounded, I KNOW what I saw literally 15 minutes prior and it was NOT that! I told him I would not buy at that price and there was a discrepency and I found it deceiptful. After much bargaining the associate did eventually match the sale price I stated, but I shouldn't have had to go through that! BTW, when I returned to my office, I looked up the item and as you can probably guess it showed it as "On Sale" again. Now whenever I find something "On Sale" at BestBuy.com I either purchase it online with In-Store pickup, or I print out the page to take it into the store with me.

Similiar Experience with Best Buy

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: Drawtaru - (U.S.A.)

Best Buy's price matching policy applies to local *retail* stores. If you see it for $1299 at Wal-Mart and go across the street to Best Buy and see the exact same item with the exact same model number for $200 more, of course we will gladly mark it down for you.

But Sam's Club requires a membership in order to get their lowest prices, whereas Best Buy does not. So we're not able to price match them. We're sorry to lose your business over something so trivial, but the employees followed the correct policy. They may have done so in a confusing and rude manner (which I appologize for), but in the end you have to understand that Best Buy employees are people just like you. We get frustrated too, and when a customer is standing there demanding something that we can't do, we can be rude or curt just like the customers.

A lot of times, managers will try to work something out for you, but you have to understand that Best Buy is NOT a charity. We can't mark things down dramatically below what Best Buy bought them for. We have to make money or we go the way of Service Merchandise, CompUSA, and Circuit City. There are times that customers ask me for free things, or additional discounts, and I just wonder to myself mentally if I've accidentally put on a "Goodwill" T-shirt.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Best Buy, but a little common sense might help you to realize why we were unable to do that for you.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Your rights and how the offer is "read"

AUTHOR: Bazzgazm - (U.S.A.)

If it stated that it couldn't be used with other offers. Then quite simply you should of had the choice between the 10$ gift card and the 50$ off. Assuming it met all other criteria.

Sams Club and Cosco are Membership wholesalers not retailers

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

With my credit card I get % back at retail, convenience and grocery stores but at warehouse clubs I get nothing because they are in a totally different category.

You have to pay for a membership for Sams Club or Cosco but at Best Buy you don't have to pay for or show a membership of anything to shop. If you go into Sams club and its $1299 and Best Buy its 1489; if you don't have membership to Sams Club you have to pay an extra 10% for a 1 day membership. 1299+10% = 1428.90. Best Buy lowered the price to $1399 and that is lower than you would pay and WITHIN REASON (and better price than) Sams Club non member price. I use to work at Best Buy and have a friend that works at Sams Club; other than that I have no bias using my common sense and best judgment. Try and put yourself in the other person's shoes before you get upset. Even ask for a deal on accessories with the mark down deal, that is their money maker and where they can work on the best combo deals.

Warehouses can sell for lower prices because they sell to businesses and in bulk. Best Buy matches local competitors. Sams Club and Cosco are competitors; Target and Walmart are competitors, Best Buy and Circuit City are competitors; Kohls and Jc Penny are competitors; but Best Buy and Sams Club are NOT competitors.

I hope you see my point. I do hope you get the best deal wherever you go.